Beer in the news

General beer chit chat
Post Reply
User avatar
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Re: Beer in the news

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:07 pm

elreplica wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 pm
danlatimer wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:39 pm
The Dirty in Tim's Dirty was because the malt fell on the floor haha :D. I've noticed they changed their cans in the NSLC to just Tim's IPA now.
That...is funny...and indicative of how people are so scared of saying anything these days. I thought I saw some cans with "dirty" on them - must be old stock.
Like I mentioned I think their marketing team just decided that putting the word dirty in the name of something people drink isn't an appealing adjective haha. It's a great name if you know the story but I don't think many people do, and I could see a lot of people thinking that using malt that had spilled on the floor was gross.

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 7
Award Winner 7
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Beer in the news

Post by Tim Gregory » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I don't know why they changed the name but I can say I've been called Dirty Tim on a few occasions and while it never really bothered me, depending on the situation, it can feel a bit weird lol.

User avatar
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:14 pm
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Beer in the news

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Tim Gregory wrote:I don't know why they changed the name but I can say I've been called Dirty Tim on a few occasions and while it never really bothered me, depending on the situation, it can feel a bit weird lol.

I’ve called you Dirty Tim


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: Beer in the news

Post by KMcK » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Tim Gregory wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:24 pm
I don't know why they changed the name but I can say I've been called Dirty Tim on a few occasions and while it never really bothered me, depending on the situation, it can feel a bit weird lol.
I've brewed with you and heard the stories so I know what I'm in for when I drink your beer. Did you consider that your Lucky Loonie Black IPA could have been Tim's Dirty Money Black IPA?
McKeggerator:
  • Rockey's Double IPA
  • Phyl's Double IPA
  • sparkling cascade cider

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am
Name: Don
Location: South Shore, NS

Re: Beer in the news

Post by elreplica » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:01 pm

And...I will say to Ms. Darci&Jenn that it's good to have you here...as a brewer, human being, woman - whatever you want to be...and if I offended you that was certainly not my intent and so - as a fellow Brewnoser - sorry! Do not go away because we agree to disagree on some points (the name or style is fine in my mind) and I certainly see how Nine Locks campaign bothered some people. I do have ladyfriends that rushed to the brewery to buy shirts before they were pulled and yes, they were all dirty blondes...Regardless, I hope that you accept my offering, and if not have several beers and reconsider...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am
Name: Don
Location: South Shore, NS

Re: Beer in the news

Post by elreplica » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:03 pm

Now...that my Irish is getting into me...I think of my buddy Richard...and us collaborating on a Black IPA...commercially it might be problematic if we called it "Dirty DIck's Double Black Arsed" IPA.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

User avatar
BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Beer in the news

Post by BBrianBoogie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:14 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 pm
Interesting conversation. Read a few points that I didn't hear elsewhere. Some thoughts of mine:

Describing a food product as "dirty" wouldn't generally make it appealing. There's no way the intention isn't the sexual reference.

Brian you mentioned you read dirty to mean slutty. Words mean different things to different people. I initially read it from a more sex positive stand meaning kinky, fun, adventurous, but seeing how other people interpret the words lets me understand why they dislike the campaign. If I had interpreted the campaign as saying "bring home a slut from dartmouth" I would probably never buy their beer again, that's just disrespectful.

Maybe they did intend for that to be the message to the people that would act positively to that and to be a coded message to the rest of us, I don't know. I don't think there's reason to assume malice.

As a gay man, I didn't automatically assume the ads were suggesting you bring home a female dirty blonde from dartmouth. They never mention gender in their ads. I understand why some people would assume the gender though, it probably was intended although the campaign never mentions gender.

Thanks for weighing in Jenn, definitely good to hear your perspective
Thanks for the thoughtful response Dan. I think you're right that any plausible deniability about the reference not being sexual goes out the window when you consider the marketing of the beer.

You're correct that I made an assumption about the meaning of the word dirty, and I see your point. However, if that's the case, is it better to say "I went home with a sexually adventurous blonde", or "Everyone loves a kinky blonde from Dartmouth" in order to sell beer? Or is that just more of the same from the beer industry and society at large?

As for the gender thing, we infer from context every day of our lives, and in my lifetime I can't recall blonde jokes ever being about men. Nor can I recall inferences about getting laid applied to marketing a product to women. Given the facts at hand, it seems reasonable to conclude that the marketing is most likely sexual innuendo designed to appeal to males.

And here's the thing. I doubt there was malicious intent on the part of Nine Locks, but that's not the point. It's just more of the same bullshit from the beer industry, and it shouldn't go unquestioned anymore.

It's great to say we respect women, but that's awfully hollow if we're not willing to listen to them. You can't separate this from the bigger picture if we're going to do any objective analysis of how we move toward a fairer society. It's not about banning words, it's about examining who we are and where we're headed.

User avatar
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Re: Beer in the news

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Yup, you make some good points Brian. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Post Reply

Return to “General Beer Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 1 guest