General beer chit chat
mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Measuring dissolved co2

Post by mthibodeau » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 am

A buddy of mine just sent me this link

http://www.co2meter.com/blogs/news/the- ... inscontent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and was wondering what the homebrew community's take on the need for this is? (He runs a small company that does gas flow measurement stuff). If you force carb I cant see this being useful at all, I guess if you bottle prime, and want to be ridiculously accurate on your carb lebvels this could be good...

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts?
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Re: Measuring dissolved co2

Post by MitchK » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 am

Couldn't you just force carb some examples at a steady pressure and temperature (maybe in pop bottles with carb caps) and then compare your bottle conditioned examples to those?

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Re: Measuring dissolved co2

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:58 pm

For professionals that bottle condition, the CO2 in solution at packaging makes a genuine difference if you're trying to sell a consistent product. Final volumes will be starting CO2 plus whatever you've introduced via conditioning fermentation. Waiting for the headspace to equilibrate at a given temp. to try to estimate dissolved CO2 costs time, which is money for the professionals with limited fermenter space. For us, if you know the temp. of your beer post fermentation (pre-cold crash), have given it a few days to hang at that temp with an airlock to allow CO2 to off gas, than you can just use a table.

This is how the professionals do it right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp06DtIbakE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Beer Discussion”