paris and lyon in february

General beer chit chat
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

paris and lyon in february

Post by dexter » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:39 pm

So im headed to france in february for a little over a week. any suggestions for beer joints?

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: paris and lyon in february

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 am

I spent my university summers in the South of France. It's wine country traditionally. If you stick to beer you'll miss experiencing the amazing wines. ...."When in Rome".
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

Post by dexter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Oh I'll enjoy the wine, but being a beer forum, just makes sense to ask about beer :P

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:58 am

i spent about the same amount of time a couple years ago. my diet consisted largely of 2euro wine, baguette, and good cheese. i looked a little bit for good beer, stopped by one bottle shop in paris but don't recall where it was. wasn't that notable, but i remember they had dieu du ciel and they were stoked about it.

so, not a lot of advice. :D
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:16 am

There's a nice bottle shop in Paris called La Cave à Bulles. We stopped in there on our last day in Paris - a mistake because we had a hard time finding much of interest to drink until then. We chatted up the guy behind the counter and he had a few suggestions about some beer bars. Anyway, it's worth checking out if you're nearby. We stayed in the 14th, so there was a shop a little closer called "bootlegger". The selection there wasn't quite as impressive, but lots of good Belgian stuff. Expensive though.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Agree with D&J: Cave a Bulles is awesome. The guy working there is awesome, and if you brought him some beer, he will hook you up with some nice trades. He seems to love Garrison, but if you let him know about the explosion we've had in the last few years, he'd be thrilled. I only spent a few nights in Paris, and none in Lyon. Bon chance!

ipamonger
Name: RPC

Post by ipamonger » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi,

First, I just joined this forum a few minutes ago, so I'm stoked that I'm able to say my first post is to guide someone else, because I'm sure the majority of the time, it'll be the other way around.

Ok, so in Paris, yes, absolutely, Cave à Bulles is THE bottle shop to go to. Simon the owner is extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and deeply connected with the beer scene there. His store is mainly focused on French breweries, which is great. He's right downtown too, very near the Centre Pompidou.

I would also without hesitation recommend hitting La Fine Mousse http://www.lafinemousse.fr The tap selection is fantastic, changing all the time, often hosting brewery tap takeovers. It is not as central as Cave à Bulles, but still considered central Paris, and totally worth it.

Rick
I enjoy drinking beer.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”