Dry hopping question

General beer chit chat
Icedpyre
Name: Darren

Dry hopping question

Post by Icedpyre » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:40 pm

So I'm doing the Festa brew ESB from noble grape. I just chucked my hops in and plonked my airlock back into it's home. After 30 seconds afterwards, my airlock went berserk. It's bubbling stupidly fast, and there appears to be small amounts of clear water running off the top of the airlock-lid. Lid to my pail is also bulged up a fair amount. Is this normal for dry hopping? I've never done it before lol.

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Re: Dry hopping question

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 pm

You probably just released some gas when the hops plopped into the beer. It's pretty normal for some air lock activity after dry hopping.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 pm

tis normal :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Hop particles create nucleation sites for bubbles to form around. Inexperienced probrewers sometimes make the mistake of throwing dry hops directly into fully carbonated beer, with catastrophic results: I've read on Probrewer.com of people relating 'Mentos in Coke' experiences!

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Hop particles create nucleation sites for bubbles to form around. Inexperienced probrewers sometimes make the mistake of throwing dry hops directly into carbonated beer, with catastrophic results: I've read on Probrewer.com of people relating 'Mentos in Coke' experiences!

Return to “General Beer Discussion”