2 Crows Brewing

General beer chit chat
whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

Re: 2 Crows Brewing

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I'll take a look in a couple of weeks. Heading away for a trip this weekend for a couple of weeks. Thanks and looking forward to trying some of your stuff!

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 pm

2Crows and Tidehouse should be bumping tonight before the CIS Basketball games @ Scotiabank Bank Centre!

Heading down for a brew, before SMU's game at 6! Maybe try out the Pollyanna this time.

jeremytaylor
Name: Jeremy Taylor

Post by jeremytaylor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:46 pm

whitnes10 wrote:Oh I totally agree that most start with some type of capital. From what I've heard though, 2 Crows started with 1 million available, I don't know how much of that was used, but given their state of the art set up, location, and mass production with cans, I could only imagine the cost, along with bringing in one of Canada's master brewers. Not many local breweries go from nothing to canning right from the start. I honestly have nothing against 2 Crows and where the 2 of them are local, I fully support that and their business. I just like to see people work for what they get, and this was handed to them.

And I definitely don't limit myself to just Halifax and Dartmouth. But the three you mentioned are definitely the smallest breweries, I know Brightwood, I went to school with Matt in High School back in the day, works out one of their basements.

I guess my main point is, I just like to see things earned, and in business, too many of the "BIG FISH" have everything handed to them. It's unfortunate but I guess that's life.

Jeremy here, Head Brewer at 2 Crows. Sorry to hear you don't like our setup. I can assure you we have worked exceptionally hard to get to this point and we are still working very hard. There is no corporate financing or big fish involved in this project, it is entirely financed by myself, Mark, Kelly, and a small group of family and friends, who have earned every penny we have put into it. Mark and Kelly have both given up secure jobs to go into this venture, and I gave up a good career + benefits + better pay when I decided to go to become a professional brewer.

Yes, we opened with a larger setup than other local breweries. We heard from a lot of the folks who opened other breweries that they were at max capacity immediately after opening, and we wanted to give ourselves room to grow into our capacity and not go through the expense of getting new equipment and a new space soon after opening if people like the beer.

For the record, I am not a "one of Canada's master brewers". I am a guy with a passion for beer, who happens to have a brewing education too -- like a lot of people in the brewing world. I don't call myself a brewmaster, as I think that term is self-aggrandizing and a bit pompous, and do not have a Master Brewer designation from the IBD. And 2 Crows didn't bring me in, I am a part-owner of the company and have been looking to relocate to Halifax for a number of years as my wife is from here and I adore this city. I hope you won't hold that against me.

Grab one of us for a chat if you happen to come by the brewery again, I think you'll find we tend to be pretty genuine people and we are in this purely for a love of good beer.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Hey Jeremy,

I think my initial comment unfortunately got taking out of context and maybe my choice of wording was poor. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding people have made about my thoughts on 2Crows. I have nothing against your set up or the people involved. I think you guys have a top notch set up (which I mentioned earlier) and a perfect location, which I enjoyed yesterday before going over to the Scotiabank Centre to watch the basketball games. I see you guys working hard, being social with all your customers, and also helping out the smaller local breweries, which I have heard from more than one of them. The last of the 3 was my original reason for posting, as often the little guys get over looked. I didn't feel like I was disrespecting anyone by what I stated, though people took it that way. And again I apologize for that.

I myself am an avid small batch home brewer and enjoy good beer, especially love supporting local.

Thanks again for your response Jeremy.

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Jeremy, not sure if you will be personally attending the Freddy Craft Beerfest, but I hope to be able to take some time to step away from my own table and come introduce myself. Always nice meeting fellow brewers in the area. :cheers:

jeremytaylor

Post by jeremytaylor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm

whitnes10 wrote:Hey Jeremy,

I think my initial comment unfortunately got taking out of context and maybe my choice of wording was poor. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding people have made about my thoughts on 2Crows. I have nothing against your set up or the people involved. I think you guys have a top notch set up (which I mentioned earlier) and a perfect location, which I enjoyed yesterday before going over to the Scotiabank Centre to watch the basketball games. I see you guys working hard, being social with all your customers, and also helping out the smaller local breweries, which I have heard from more than one of them. The last of the 3 was my original reason for posting, as often the little guys get over looked. I didn't feel like I was disrespecting anyone by what I stated, though people took it that way. And again I apologize for that.

I myself am an avid small batch home brewer and enjoy good beer, especially love supporting local.

Thanks again for your response Jeremy.
Thanks for your response, glad to hear you won't pass on us just because of the brewery size.
Definitely come by some time and grab me, I genuinely am happy to show homebrewers around the place any time. I've usually got some yeast slurry kicking around that brewers can take too.

jeremytaylor

Post by jeremytaylor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:39 pm

canuck wrote:Jeremy, not sure if you will be personally attending the Freddy Craft Beerfest, but I hope to be able to take some time to step away from my own table and come introduce myself. Always nice meeting fellow brewers in the area. :cheers:
I'm afraid I'm stuck in Halifax this weekend, but Mark and Kelly will be there serving. Pop on by and say hi to them though, they'd love to meet ya! Enjoy the festival, I've heard it's an absolute blast.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”