2 Crows Brewing

General beer chit chat
Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User

2 Crows Brewing

Post by Timothy Doane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi guys,
I went there twice yesterday and the place was packed and I didn't stick around - I know some of you made it - so how was it?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: 2 Crows Brewing

Post by LiverDance » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Went with Chalmers yesterday and checked out the brewery and beers. Definatly some new styles for the market place and all the beers were tasting great :cheers3:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:50 pm

I was down in the early evening. Place was absolutley jammed and all the staff told me that was the slowest it had been all day. Nice looking spot, beers are all tasting great. Overall 10/10 would drink there again
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Tim, good to see you, sorry it was too busy to stay and chat!
The beer is great, hopefully you're able to pull a seat up at the bar before too long, definitely worth a visit. Worst case Ontario, grab a few cans to enjoy at home?

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Timothy Doane » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi,
We were staying @ the hotel next door - no kids that night - everytime we went there it was packed!
My wife is bringing home 2 4-packs tonight - I can't wait!
Thanks guys!
Tim - Cheers

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Same thing for us, ended up standing by a concrete pillar drooling over the equipment. Took a NE IPA and a table beer. Both were awesome. GF took a Pilsner, generally am not pleased by a Pilsner but this one is great. I found the atmosphere to be a little not to my style very commercial/industrial but as soon as it slows a bit and I can relax in there I'm looking forward to going back to try them all.

'Met the guys at one of their houses back in early fall, real nice people.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:33 am

Stopped in with the harem. Had a flight of there beer and a pint. Good beer and an interesting space.

Sandy

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 am

I wasn't a huge fan of the table beer myself when I managed to get in at launch but that seems to just be a "me" problem from how popular it is.

Polyanna might very well be one of the best beers I have ever had though. A ton of the small batches they had for launch were also great (bakeapple sour and brett IPA in particular).

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 am

Agreed on the Polyanna. Definitely one of the tastiest news brews I've imbibed recently.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BAbrewing » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:18 pm

MitchK wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the table beer myself when I managed to get in at launch but that seems to just be a "me" problem from how popular it is.

Polyanna might very well be one of the best beers I have ever had though. A ton of the small batches they had for launch were also great (bakeapple sour and brett IPA in particular).

Thoughts on their pilsner?

whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Tried 2 Crows last weekend, filled up a growler. Got the NE IPA and it was decent, light bodied. Sampled a few others before filling, but it was my favourite of the 4 I tried.

Honestly, in a way I feel for many of the local micro brewery's around, as most of them took years to get to where the are now, to open up small "holes in the wall" that are awesome, with great atmosphere! 2 Crows is a situation where they had money and it was all easily put in place and handed to them. I'm huge in supporting local businesses, but I'm more interested in supporting the ones who worked their way up the ranks and earned everything they have. I'm not saying I won't go back to 2 Crows, but I will most often choose to support the smaller "worked for everything they got" brewery's.

This is just my 2 cents.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Aside from the reallly small start ups, I think you will find that most of the breweries in town started up with significantly more than 'personal capital'.... Based on your statement, you're limited to beer (in Halfiax/Dartmouth at least) from Tidehouse, Brightwood, and possibly North.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:44 am

Oh I totally agree that most start with some type of capital. From what I've heard though, 2 Crows started with 1 million available, I don't know how much of that was used, but given their state of the art set up, location, and mass production with cans, I could only imagine the cost, along with bringing in one of Canada's master brewers. Not many local breweries go from nothing to canning right from the start. I honestly have nothing against 2 Crows and where the 2 of them are local, I fully support that and their business. I just like to see people work for what they get, and this was handed to them.

And I definitely don't limit myself to just Halifax and Dartmouth. But the three you mentioned are definitely the smallest breweries, I know Brightwood, I went to school with Matt in High School back in the day, works out one of their basements.

I guess my main point is, I just like to see things earned, and in business, too many of the "BIG FISH" have everything handed to them. It's unfortunate but I guess that's life.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am

How do you know that capital was handed to them? Legit question... do you know? Was it in fact handed to them? Maybe they worked relentlessly for a decade to raise this cash? I do not know first hand either way, but it can be extremely difficult to raise a million in capital investment. So unless you know the complete behind the scenes picture, you're jumping to a lot of conclusions.

Also not sure where you draw the line.. 1 million for a start up is considered by many to be a baseline for a full production brewery with some distribution. For sure many of the other breweries in this part of the world have started up with way less than that, but also most of the them started with way more than the faces on the front lines could have possibly 'earned'. If 2 Crows started with a budge of 500k instead, would that change things in your mind?
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

whitnes10 wrote:Oh I totally agree that most start with some type of capital. From what I've heard though, 2 Crows started with 1 million available, I don't know how much of that was used, but given their state of the art set up, location, and mass production with cans, I could only imagine the cost, along with bringing in one of Canada's master brewers. Not many local breweries go from nothing to canning right from the start. I honestly have nothing against 2 Crows and where the 2 of them are local, I fully support that and their business. I just like to see people work for what they get, and this was handed to them.

And I definitely don't limit myself to just Halifax and Dartmouth. But the three you mentioned are definitely the smallest breweries, I know Brightwood, I went to school with Matt in High School back in the day, works out one of their basements.

I guess my main point is, I just like to see things earned, and in business, too many of the "BIG FISH" have everything handed to them. It's unfortunate but I guess that's life.

Your comments rub me the wrong way. Good on them if they were lucky enough to have someone invest that kind of money off the get go. You can't tell me if someone came at you with a proposition like that that you would turn it away. So they started off big to avoid having to go through the process of upgrading equipment as the demand grew...sounds like smart planning to me. And based on the size of their brewery...you can't tell me they aren't working their asses off as we speak to fill the demand.

If you haven't listened to the 902Brewcast that featured the crew from 2 Crows...you should. They sound like a solid crew who are passionate about their craft. I've exchanged messages with them a few times asking questions and they were always quick to respond and offer up information and answer questions.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:50 pm

1 million in start up money seems low for 2 Crows given what's in there and the work that was done to get the space ready. Good Robot is much smaller brewery and from what I've heard they spent well north of a million. Tidehouse spent more than you think and most of it was borrowed from friends and family. Starting a business is expensive, and a business that's big enough to be profitable and have employees is very expensive.

Point is though, who cares? If the beer is good, drink it. If it's not, don't. That's literally all that matters
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:20 pm

@Makay75 - I have nothing against them or their business. And I'm sure I will go back and fill up more growlers, especially as they come out with new brews. I'm not knocking on them or how lucky one of them was to their father willing to invest and help start up their company. Everyone just isn't that fortunate, and I feel for the "little guys".

Maybe it's a generational thing, I don't know. But I'm not hating on anyone here, some people just have it easier than others, I'm not one of them and maybe that's why I feel this way.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Having the Pollyanna right now. Nice beer. Doesn't look like orange juice so I'm happy about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 am

Broob wrote:Having the Pollyanna right now. Nice beer. Doesn't look like orange juice so I'm happy about that.
is it maybe a mislabelled can? it looks much darker than the other pics of polyanna on untappd. but it could just be lighting.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 am

KB1138 wrote:1 million in start up money seems low for 2 Crows given what's in there and the work that was done to get the space ready. Good Robot is much smaller brewery and from what I've heard they spent well north of a million. Tidehouse spent more than you think and most of it was borrowed from friends and family. Starting a business is expensive, and a business that's big enough to be profitable and have employees is very expensive.

Point is though, who cares? If the beer is good, drink it. If it's not, don't. That's literally all that matters

My new brewery will be well above 1 million once it's complete next month or so. So I can certainly attest to the costs involved in opening one. I'm thankful that I've been able to do it with no investors at all, but starting a brewery this size is fucking expensive. I certainly don't hold it against anyone that is able to leverage other financial means to fund their brewery.

And you're absolutely right, if the beer is the good.......who cares about anything else or how they might of got there.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:15 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Broob wrote:Having the Pollyanna right now. Nice beer. Doesn't look like orange juice so I'm happy about that.
is it maybe a mislabelled can? it looks much darker than the other pics of polyanna on untappd. but it could just be lighting.
That was the colour. Tasted like an IPA to me, a pretty good one.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

IanWatson
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ian Watson

Post by IanWatson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:35 pm

hfx902 wrote:
MitchK wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the table beer myself when I managed to get in at launch but that seems to just be a "me" problem from how popular it is.

Thoughts on their pilsner?
I enjoyed their pilsner as a beer, but not as a pilsner; it is way out of style.

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Tidehouse here, I'd just like to point out that out of all the breweries and local businesses that have helped us little guys get started (and we're still just getting started) The 2crows crew have offered the most help out of everyone.
I don't care if they started with 50 million, if they're willing to help their closest "competition" at the drop of a hat with no question or strings on the regular (weekly) than they're good folks.

Good folks making great beer.

When is the last time we had a local brewery open with so few flaws/problems?
Kudos to them for an exceptional launch and execution of their plan. PS: Jeremy, Mark & Kelly have been working their butts off.

Maybe they don't have to slug it out like us smaller breweries, but it is in no way a less earned operation.
That said, stop buying their beer already and come on down the hill. ;)

:rockin:
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:16 am

sheanhiggins wrote:Tidehouse here, I'd just like to point out that out of all the breweries and local businesses that have helped us little guys get started (and we're still just getting started) The 2crows crew have offered the most help out of everyone.
I don't care if they started with 50 million, if they're willing to help their closest "competition" at the drop of a hat with no question or strings on the regular (weekly) than they're good folks.

Good folks making great beer.

When is the last time we had a local brewery open with so few flaws/problems?
Kudos to them for an exceptional launch and execution of their plan. PS: Jeremy, Mark & Kelly have been working their butts off.

Maybe they don't have to slug it out like us smaller breweries, but it is in no way a less earned operation.
That said, stop buying their beer already and come on down the hill. ;)

:rockin:

Thanks for the insight. It's always good to hear this type of thing from personal experience. My wife and I will surely be down to Tidehouse to fill up growlers! What do you have on tap right now?

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am

Standard core four lineup today and tomorrow, however this weekend we have a blueberry kettle sour and an American IPA going on. Ian Wheatley (brewnoser) brewed them up over a month ago on our system for a "one off" special release.
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

Return to “General Beer Discussion”