Opinion wanted.

General beer chit chat
BrianMac
Verified User
Verified User

Opinion wanted.

Post by BrianMac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Probably a lot of them!!
Twice I've made an all grain DAB clone which turned out A-one. I used liquid yeast an lagered it.
I want some opinions as to what would happen if I did not lager but, used an ale yeast?
All other procedures would remaining the same!

Brian
On tap... Modified Pizaaz
Fermenting all grain Pizaaz mutation.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Opinion wanted.

Post by GAM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Works for me.

S

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

You can lager with an ale yeast or you can not lager with a lager yeast. Lagering doesn't have to be tied to lager beer/yeast. The lagering lets things settle out faster and if you get it cold enough it will settle out some proteins and polyphenols that won't settle on their own even with infinite time. Taste wise it won't make much difference after enough time.

The ale yeast probably won't throw off as much sulphur as the lager yeast, but it will have some esters that are more pronounced. Most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Nottingham fermented cool and a lager yeast fermented cold. However if you get it warm at all it will have a much different taste. You can also pitch a lot of ale yeast to get a cleaner tasting beer. It just won't taste the same as if it were done with a lager yeast. It will still taste good and clean, just a different good and clean.

Personally I like having a barely perceivable touch of sulphur in my lager and a crisper mouthfeel than I can easily get with an ale yeast. Doesn't mean that I can't make something close with the ale yeast just that I find it easier to set the temperature controller on the fridge to 12-13c and then come back in a month.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 am

I made a blonde ale with nottingham once and fermented it @ 62 F. It was clean, but too bland for me. If I ever do it again I would definitely use more hops @ 60 min. I quit making blonde ales and just make lagers. Worth the extra week fermenting it but is worth it. I make 46 L at a time which lets me lager half of it while sampling the other half.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”