Conan starter woes?

General beer chit chat
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Evan Isnor

Conan starter woes?

Post by evanisnor » Sat May 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey! Been a while. I grabbed a vial of Vermont Ale yeast from Dave this week with 2 months left before the best before date. Wednesday night I put the vial date into my BeerSmith recipe, boiled some DME in a flask as per the starter measurements, chilled, pitched and threw it on the stir plate. I was hoping for some krausen and fruity aromas, but instead I ended up with no krausen and the smell of sulfur. It's cold crashing in the fridge now so I can decant it on brew day. My last starter (wyeast 1332) had krausen, smelled decent.

I assume the yeast is stressed out, hopefully it's not infected. I'm making a DIPA, was really looking forward to getting that stone fruit character. Would you pitch it even if it smells like farts? Would it improve if I saved it and made another starter later with some nutrient?

I'm thinking I might just default to US-05.

evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Evan Isnor

Re: Conan starter woes?

Post by evanisnor » Sat May 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that :/

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Conan starter woes?

Post by Celiacbrew » Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 pm

I would put fresh wort on that yeast and see how it performs. You can pitch at high krauzen about twelve hours after adding the fresh wort. I wouldn't go any larger than the first starter, you would be looking to boost up their vitality since the sulphur might mean they are stressed out.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”