New Member With N.S. Beer Trading Question

General beer chit chat
Porphyry
Name: Andy

New Member With N.S. Beer Trading Question

Post by Porphyry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:41 am

I am a new member who joined because I have a question about beer trading as it pertains to Nova Scotia beer.

I was in Nova Scotia this summer visiting family and fell in love with Tatamagouche Brewing's Deception Bay IPA. I live in San Diego where Canadian craft beer is deeply unavailable. I have access to a lot of great U.S. beer (Pliny, Heady Topper, Mikkeller San Diego etc.), and I am hoping there might be somebody in Nova Scotia willing to trade with me. After a few days looking around online however it is proving surprisingly difficult to find a beer trading site frequented by Bluenosers. I got zero expressions of interest for example when I posted a Deception Bay trade request on Beeradvocate. The one Canadian site I've come across, The Bar Towel, seems focused more on Ontario than the Maritimes. I tried to join a Canadian beer trading Facebook group, but they limit membership to people currently living in Canada.

I don't see a beer trading forum on Brewnosers.org. I am wondering if anybody here knows a way for me to be in touch with Nova Scotia-based beer traders. I'd be very grateful for any leads.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: New Member With N.S. Beer Trading Question

Post by GAM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 am

I will be in your area in October Make a list.

Sandy

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:39 pm

This guy needs some Unfiltered.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks a lot Sandy! My list is short: Deception Bay IPA! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in return.

Cheers,

Andy

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Wife and I would like some advise as to the ares and cool (not just beer) stuff to do.

Lots of good IPAs in NS. Do some googling and or I can just pick some. My son works at Rockhead wine and beer store so that and the NSLC are easiest. I will try to do what ever you want.

S

punkscience
Name: Darryl Wright

Post by punkscience » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 am

I actually didn't know this was an option. Which site do you recommend? Also, what's the Canadian Beer Trading web site? Is it possible I might be able to once again have my beloved Fat Tug IPA from Vancouver Island!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 pm

My pleasure Sandy. I'll try to write up some suggestions in the next day or two.

Punkscience I am far from an expert, having only arranged my first trade this week. Beeradvocate is a big U.S. site. The Canadian site I came across is called the Bar Towel, which I've found good so far. Also, if you type beer trade Canada into Facebook two groups should come up:

beer trade canada iso:ft
beer trade canada iso:ft no rules!

I think there are rules about who can join the first one. I just joined both and have yet to arrange any trades on either. But you might be able to get some Fat Tug through them or possibly the Bar Towel.

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 pm

Punkscience, at risk of stating the obvious, ISO = in search of, FT = for trade.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:11 am

Hiya! I am an occasional beer trader (used to do it a lot more, but have slowed down). I'm also on BA (that's where I did most of my trades), sorry, I must have missed your thread.
I'd be happy to put together a box for you, to tide you over until Sandy's visit in a couple of months. While I could send 12 Deception Bay, as was alluded to above, there are probably a few other beers available in the region you may want/should try. Is IPA your favourite style? Want to try our local sours, stouts, etc? What else did you try here and enjoy?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 am

Lots of great options to choose from. Chris has a much better pallet than I so I will defer to him. Not that you can't have DB as you requested.

Sandy

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks a lot Chris! I'll send you a DM with my contact details &c.

Sandy, I should have that San Diego activity guide done soon too.

Cheers,

Andy

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Amazing. Thanks.

S

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 am

Hi Sandy, here's a list of 20 San Diego attractions, half beer-related half not. If you have any questions about anything, let me know!

Things to do in San Diego (non-Beer related)

1. As you probably know, San Deigo is famous for its zoo. There are actually two, the main one downtown and a larger Safari Park in Suburban Escondido, which is about 45 minutes from downtown. I happen to prefer the Safari Park as it is a bit less busy, but the downtown one is great in its own right and has an ariel tram that takes you up over the zoo and offers one of the best views in San Diego. Parking is free downtown, $15 at the Safari Park.
2. Old Town. The historic part of San Diego that contains the original buildings that were built as part of the first European settlement in California. If you are in SD on the Day of the Dead, November 1, there is a traditional parade in Old Town that is very colourful and definitely worth checking out. But other times it’s worth spending an afternoon there for the restaurants and heritage buildings My wife and I like to eat at the restaurant in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Old Town

3. Balboa Park. This is a beautiful downtown park with lots of museums and is next to the zoo.

4. Beaches. San Diego has a ton that are good. Perhaps the best is Coronado Beach, which the travel channel has called one of the top ten beaches in the U.S. Depending when you come in October, you could still swim.

5. Liberty Station. A former military base that has been converted to shops, restaurants and a park. Great to walk around, and Stone Brewing has a huge gastropub with a beautiful outdoor area. Also very good is the restaurant Soda and Swine. (It has a short but really well chosen, frequently changing beer list. I’ve discovered several outstanding beers there.) Planes fly over Liberty Station from the airport but you get used to it pretty quickly, I find.

6. National Comedy Theatre. They specialize in improv comedy and are consistently hilarious. I’ve seen many shows their with friends and everybody always loves it. Some of the funniest live shows I’ve ever seen.

7. Legoland. I don’t know if you’re interested in theme parks, but if so, Legoland is one of the best I’ve been to. I prefer it to Disneyland because it’s less crowded.

8. La Jolla Cove. Sea lions and seals have claimed the beach there and you can go down on the sand and rocks and get close to them, which lots of people like to do because it’s free. The neighbourhood is very California with lots of restaurants and beaches. When my brother came he went on a snorkelling tour of the Cove and looked at (harmless) leopard sharks, which he quite enjoyed and which sounded awesome.

9. Goldstar shows. Goldstar is a Web site that sells cheap tickets to San Diego shows and events: https://www.goldstar.com/san-diego They tack on a service fee of 3-5 dollars for tickets but even so it is usually still a good deal.

10. Tijuana. It’s right across the border. It has become a food and drink hotspot, in particular, but has lots of other fun things to do. This company offers great tours, and picks you up at the border:

https://www.turistalibre.com/

I have gone on their Street Eats and Lucha Libra (Mexican wrestling) tours, and both were fantastic.

Things to do in San Diego (Beer related)

1. Stone Brewery in Escondido. This is Stone’s famous flagship location. Stunningly beautiful, especially the outdoor area, it has the most massive and diverse beer list in San Diego. Absolutely worth the drive to Escondido. If you’re going to go to one brewery while it town, this is the one to see.

2. Societé Brewing Tasting Room. This brewery has managed to become popular on tap lists around town even though they don’t sell their beer in bottles and cans (with the exception of some barrel-aged stuff). This is a testament to their incredible beer. A lesser-known gem of the local beer scene. The Pupil IPA is one of their standouts.

3. Brewery Tours. Lots of companies offer now tours where they take you to a bunch of different breweries in a bus. If you prefer to sample a bunch of different breweries on your own in a short amount of time there are several areas with a high concentration of breweries. They include 30th Street downtown; Miramar Road (aka Beeramar) in midtown; and along route 78 in North County (aka the Hops Highway).

4. Toronado San Diego. A craft bar on 30th Street that usually has Pliny the Elder on tap, which is otherwise hard to find.

5. Karl Strauss Sorrento Mesa. Karl Strauss is a chain of brewpubs. Some of their locations are just so-so, but their Sorrento Mesa location is one of the most beautiful places in town to have a beer. It overlooks a huge Japanese fish pond that is so striking people have weddings there.

6. Mikkeller San Diego. I am not that familiar with Mikkeller’s beers myself, but a lot of beer nuts swear by it. (I just did a beer trade with a guy in Canada who wanted only Mikkeller San Diego beers). They offer a new limited release every Saturday and they are usually sold out by Monday. Note however that there is no food at the brewery, but you can order delivery.

As an aside, you may recall this story about Mikkeller and his rivalry with his brother, which I thought was interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/maga ... ml?mcubz=0

7. White Labs. This a unique beer-science place that offers tours with tastings.

8. Board and Brew. This is a chain of sandwich places that have excellent beer lists, great sandwiches and a laid-back Southern California vibe.

9. Beer Excursions. Depending on how far you want to go, there are lots of beer-related excursions less than an hour’s drive from downtown. Three easy ones are:

Alpine. It’s a town about 40 minutes west of San Diego. Home to the legendary Alpine Brewery, which makes some of the best beer in San Diego County. Alpine is also home to an exotic animal sanctuary called Lions, Tigers and Bears (but you have to arrange visits to the sanctuary in advance).

Tijuana. Also not far from downtown, especially if you park your car and walk across the border. Plaza Fiesta is an outdoor mall with a dozen craft beer tasting rooms side by side. A cabbie will take you there from the border for five dollars.

San Clemente. This is a bit farther away, over an hour north, in neighbouring Orange county. Home to Artifex Brewery, whose beers I am currently loving.

10. South Norte. This is a much-anticipated Brewery that will combine Mexican and U.S. approaches to beer. It was supposed to open this summer, so there is a decent chance it will be open by October.

Two good local craft beer resources:

San Diego Brewery Guide:

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Die ... ery-Guide/

San Diego Beer Events:

http://www.westcoastersd.com/san-diego-beer-calendar/

I hope some of the above is helpful!

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 am

That's great. Thanks.

Sandy

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Chris I sent you a message but for some reason it says it is in my outbox rather than the sent folder. If that means you didn't get it please let me know and I'll resend.

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi Prophyry, messages stay in your Outbox until theyre read by the recipient. Nothing wrong, I'm just slow! :)

Porphyry

Post by Porphyry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 pm

No worries Chris, take your time.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

chalmers wrote:Hiya! I am an occasional beer trader (used to do it a lot more, but have slowed down). I'm also on BA (that's where I did most of my trades), sorry, I must have missed your thread.
I'd be happy to put together a box for you, to tide you over until Sandy's visit in a couple of months. While I could send 12 Deception Bay, as was alluded to above, there are probably a few other beers available in the region you may want/should try. Is IPA your favourite style? Want to try our local sours, stouts, etc? What else did you try here and enjoy?

I'd love to pick your brain on this subject. I have a buddy in Florida who would be interested in doing a beer exchange. Just curious what's involved and issues with shipping across boarder, etc.

Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 pm

ackes wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm
chalmers wrote:Hiya! I am an occasional beer trader (used to do it a lot more, but have slowed down). I'm also on BA (that's where I did most of my trades), sorry, I must have missed your thread.

I'd love to pick your brain on this subject. I have a buddy in Florida who would be interested in doing a beer exchange. Just curious what's involved and issues with shipping across boarder, etc.

Borders do add a level of complexity and risk of the beer getting seized, but if the beer is well packed (nothing moving around, no sloshing, and definitely won't break), you're probably fine (I've had great success). You can spring for wine shippers (I know a few of us have them, and I believe you can order from UHaul ), or just pack things tight and well inside a garbage bag inside the box. Never too much bubble wrap!
You can also pre-fill out all of the documents online and print it in advance, so all you need to do is drop the package. I've shipped via Canada Post and Fedex.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by ackes » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:27 pm

chalmers wrote:
ackes wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Borders do add a level of complexity and risk of the beer getting seized, but if the beer is well packed (nothing moving around, no sloshing, and definitely won't break), you're probably fine (I've had great success). You can spring for wine shippers (I know a few of us have them, and I believe you can order from UHaul ), or just pack things tight and well inside a garbage bag inside the box. Never too much bubble wrap!
You can also pre-fill out all of the documents online and print it in advance, so all you need to do is drop the package. I've shipped via Canada Post and Fedex.
Great. Thanks for the info. I've never filled out the 'shipping across border documents'. But as I understand, they ask you to declare what is inside the package.
Any creative recommendations?
I've looked a little bit online and people have said 'decorative glassware'.

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm

I've seen people label boxes as preserves, oils, glassware, etc. I personally won't ship across the US border, especially now that I have my Nexus. Shipping within Canada is hard enough - I know Ontario has confiscated beer shipments, but NS has not (yet).

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by ackes » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Toni wrote:I've seen people label boxes as preserves, oils, glassware, etc. I personally won't ship across the US border, especially now that I have my Nexus. Shipping within Canada is hard enough - I know Ontario has confiscated beer shipments, but NS has not (yet).
Great. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'm gonna talk to my buddy in Florida and we'll probably give it a try and see what happens. I think I may stick to cans at first to minimize chance of breakage and bottles clanging together (even with tonnes of bubble wrap). Might look into the wine sleeves too.
Ideally, if we can do an exchange 2 - 3 times a year - would be great.

Cheers

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 am

I've used Glassware, or Collectible Glassware, something similar.

http://thebeerexchange.io/how-to-packag ... -beer.html

This is a good resource, though US-centric. Don't use UPS (and make sure your sender doesn't either), as even when it gets here safely, you'll get stuck with some shitty duties (that goes for anything sent from the US, btw. Fedex and USPS/CP fees are much lower).

The NEXUS thing is not to be ignored if that's something you've got. I have it too, but I trade cross-border so infrequently, and it's been mostly In Person lately.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”