Modernizing Brewnosers

General beer chit chat
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Re: Modernizing Brewnosers

Post by MitchK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm not on the east coast anymore but I think part of it is facebook - the OKbrewers (okanagan homebrewer's club), milk the funk, and the saison group on facebook are all super active.

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 am

Jimmy wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:12 pm
danlatimer wrote:When I read the title I figured the idea was to move from a forum to a reddit / stackoverflow style where posts are threaded and float up/down
I despise that format. I use reddit on a daily basis, but can't get used to that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Ooh! I forgot that there was another admin I could irrationally attack for not doing enough... while I do nothing.

Slacker!
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 am

MitchK wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm
I'm not on the east coast anymore but I think part of it is facebook - the OKbrewers (okanagan homebrewer's club), milk the funk, and the saison group on facebook are all super active.
I think thats what spawned my late night rant. I see groups like Milk the funk blowing up on fb, thought it'd be cool to see that kind of engagement on the bn page. I totally get why people would want to keep things on this page though.
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I honestly think a big part of it was the constant downtime that we suffered with the old host. People stopped checking the BN, because it was always down (myself included).

It seems as though traffic is slowly starting to come around, we just need to continue drawing in new blood to generate more discussion.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Jimmy wrote:I honestly think a big part of it was the constant downtime that we suffered with the old host. People stopped checking the BN, because it was always down (myself included).

It seems as though traffic is slowly starting to come around, we just need to continue drawing in new blood to generate more discussion.
I agree - the downtime hurt, summer doesn't help. Things are slowly turning around and with a bit more publicity, hopefully we get back to where we were a year ago.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Anyone looking to get involved more: if you're able to make it tomorrow's meeting in Rockingham, please do! Let's get a quorum together and talk a few of these things out.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:02 pm

I might be able to get out and attend tomorrow. On call so wait and see what the day brings.
I think it may be good to revive some old discussions. May be beneficial to some new users. I'm sure there are a few items in the archives that most of us haven't seen.
Also is there any means to have any automatic updates come out for active threads that go past a certain length in a certain time frame? Possibly via Twitter or facebook?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Like others... finding time to brew competes with a lot of other activities. Not to mention finding time to post about brewing.
But this is still my #1 resource before any Google search.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 am

Keith wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Also is there any means to have any automatic updates come out for active threads that go past a certain length in a certain time frame? Possibly via Twitter or facebook?
That sounds cool, but is beyond me.

I'd had the idea of setting up a wiki for the most commonly asked questions, but didn't pursue it. May help with SEO and driving new traffic through searches.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am

I took a quick look to see if there are any phpbb plugins that could do it but it doesn't look like phpbb has many plugins

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 am

danlatimer wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am
I took a quick look to see if there are any phpbb plugins that could do it but it doesn't look like phpbb has many plugins
If you call them "extensions" you might get a different result. :D

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 am

I think I did look at that section haha. It had just been a day so I forgot they call them extensions. Did you see anything cool in there?

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:22 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 am
I think I did look at that section haha. It had just been a day so I forgot they call them extensions. Did you see anything cool in there?
There's an official Pages extension that is probably suitable for an FAQ page. But there's also an FAQ Manager extension. Official extensions are probably "safer" in that at least you know that they (probably) weren't written by a 14-year-old with a "Teach Yourself Programming in 14 Days" book and a sack of poprocks and speed. The Pages extension is also less likely to fall into the "randomly stops working after certain phpBB upgrades" trap, but it's also probably a fair amount more work to build the FAQ page and maintain it.

I'm sure Rubbertoe can help select and install appropriate extension(s) as long as they make sense and aren't likely to drastically change the performance profile of the site. The real issue, as always, is someone volunteering to look after the content.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”