General beer chit chat
sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Carboy vs. Granite Counter top

Post by sgrhyno » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am

This was fun....

Going about the normal routine of sanitizing before racking a wine from primary to secondary last night. This carboy must have been weak or on it's last legs, because it didn't fall far when it slipped. The bottom hit first and probably only fell 2 inches before hitting the counter....and I had a towel down as I usually do to protect the glass and the counter...

I wish I had a picture of the immediate mess; I initially thought I came out unscathed. Apparently the glass is sharp enough you don't even realize it cut you. Almost 30 seconds before I realized my finger and knuckle were bleeding pretty bad...thank goodness for my wife who cleaned the glass while I first aided myself...given the aftermath, I feel pretty lucky to have come out how I did.

Easily thousands of pieces of glass from real big to really small. Maybe it's just common sense I was lacking, but I guess my point there is....be careful with those older carboys...I've had them hit the counter that hard plenty of times before...but this has never happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Carboy vs. Granite Counter top

Post by sgrhyno » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am

Oh....and no, it wasn't full....

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am

Glad you made it out ok...I stopped using glass carboys for this reason after reading through enough threads with people gashing themselves wide open on broken carboys.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User

Post by sgrhyno » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

Thank you.

I have to admit, I have mostly been a pretty 'anit-plastic' guy and still have 5 glass ones, but this may make me reconsider.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm

This.

Sandy
Jimmy wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am
Glad you made it out ok...I stopped using glass carboys for this reason after reading through enough threads with people gashing themselves wide open on broken carboys.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 pm

I had one glass carboy break on me. Fell maybe 20cm onto carpet and shattered. The carpet still bears the stain
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I also grabbed a fermonster after reading about glass disasters. It's lighter and easier to clean too.

Show your wife a few pics of broken glass ones and she'll beg you buy a plastic one 8-)

Glad you're OK.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 am

I cringe when I see this! I had a glass wide mouth carboy explode on me when I was taking it out of the back seat of my car, just barely tapped it on the inside of the door! Mind you it was full of water for a brew day at a friends place. I'm in the same boat, will only use my plastic from now on!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User

Post by sgrhyno » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14 am

Got the job I started finished last night, very carefully with one of my other glass carboys. I've never been so careful with a piece equipment in my entire brewing career....

Thanks for the posts guys... a plastic carboy or 2 are going to be added to the 'ol Christmas list. This episode is apparently far more common than I had initially thought.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

I put my glass carboys in milk crates. Helps with carrying and preventing them from banging around too much. Glad you're ok
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Milk crates are a very good idea. I've never had a carboy break on while holding it, but I had a 5 liter beaker blow up in my hands as I tried to stop it from falling. Required stitches and I still have the scars. Glass is some pretty scary stuff.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Broke a 56 Litre one a few years ago, 26 stitches, 3 pints of blood on the floor, lovely ride in an ambulance, still don't have complete mobility in my left hand. I feel ya.

:cheers2:
Why brew beer I can buy?

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 am

Life's too short not to ferment in stainless.

However I have 6 glass carboys in my basement and 4 are full. I picked up some stainless fermenters from Noble Grape but I can't justify holding up my beer production just for a merlot kit.

I have one of those carboy lifting straps, I can pretty easily take it off one and switch to the other when need be. Even if one did break when you hold onto those things you can hold it away from yourself.

There's a few stories online about carboys just suddenly breaking without being dropped, and I recall one where a guys brother died within a couple minutes of a carboy full of pennies breaking and cutting an artery.

Anyway I'm glad you're ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 am

This has happened to me. Not fun.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Milk crates for me too when I use glass.
LiverDance wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am
I put my glass carboys in milk crates. Helps with carrying and preventing them from banging around too much. Glad you're ok
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Return to “General Beer Discussion”