Stouts outside of winter

General beer chit chat
mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Stouts outside of winter

Post by mdentremont » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 pm

I've always wondered why some only like darker bears when it's cold out.

My preference in beer is anything loaded with flavour - so naturally I tend to lean towards hoppy and/or dark beers. My wife pretty much only likes dark beer.

Just wondering if you have any insight as to why some consider dark beers to be a winter thing, or if it's a stigma that many tend to have?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Stouts outside of winter

Post by Celiacbrew » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I think it is more that I avoid dark beers during the hot days of summer. But it depends on the dark beer. If it is heavy and cloying I probably don’t want it when it is 32c outside. But I’m happy to sip on an imperial stout over Xmas. Summertime is a great time for schwarzbier, dry stout etc. Because they are still refreshing. Then again I probably wouldn’t drink a barley wine in the middle of summer either, so maybe it isn’t about the darkness but the level of maltiness/sweetness/body.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 am

I love drinking stouts around the pool in the summer. As long as the alcohol is low or it is sleep time.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm
I think it is more that I avoid dark beers during the hot days of summer. But it depends on the dark beer. If it is heavy and cloying I probably don’t want it when it is 32c outside. But I’m happy to sip on an imperial stout over Xmas. Summertime is a great time for schwarzbier, dry stout etc. Because they are still refreshing. Then again I probably wouldn’t drink a barley wine in the middle of summer either, so maybe it isn’t about the darkness but the level of maltiness/sweetness/body.
I think it's mostly this (the bolded part). People associate "dark" with heavy. Even Guinness, in spite of the fact it's 4% and pretty thin. These days I probably drink more Propeller Porter during the Summer than the rest of the year, and if local breweries would release their schwarzbiers (hint, hint Spindrift and Uncle Leo) in the warmer months I'd probably drink more of them too.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 am

It's a vampire thing...I love the light ales and lagers when it's cooking outside...coronas and limes for pooling around...then my big boy pants come on as dusk approaches and I head towards the DIPA and Quadrupel Belgians...but yes, there are "light abv" beers that are sessionable during the day...that being said - reflect on what I stated earlier grasshopper...you'll wake up with a crowd around you if you drink DIPA during the torrid days of summer - case in point - drink 20 Corona 330 mL vs 6 x 650 mL bombers of DIPA or Imperials when Apollo reigns...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:47 am

Celiacbrew wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm
I tend to agree...but then...there's the goon factor of a BIPA, DIPA or Belgian...which head towards darkness from Coors or Coronas lol!
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I actually think the seasonal beer thing is ridiculous. There are certain beers that have their histories tied to harvest season. Lagers obviously were traditionally lagered naturally.

Some high ABV beers were intentionally brewed to be consumed during the colder months to warm people up.

So I understand it but if I wanna listen to Meshuggah or Radiohead I don't care what time of year it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 pm

oceanic_brew wrote:I actually think the seasonal beer thing is ridiculous. There are certain beers that have their histories tied to harvest season. Lagers obviously were traditionally lagered naturally.

Some high ABV beers were intentionally brewed to be consumed during the colder months to warm people up.

So I understand it but if I wanna listen to Meshuggah or Radiohead I don't care what time of year it is.

Haha Glen I'm in the same boat as you, but I do agree that drinking a bunch of RIS poolside in the afternoon could be a bit of a hazard

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:53 pm

mdentremont wrote:
oceanic_brew wrote:I actually think the seasonal beer thing is ridiculous. There are certain beers that have their histories tied to harvest season. Lagers obviously were traditionally lagered naturally.

Haha Glen I'm in the same boat as you, but I do agree that drinking a bunch of RIS poolside in the afternoon could be a bit of a hazard

It's a risk worth taking hahahaha

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 am

There is the tropical stout, which is enjoyed in the Caribbean year round.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

What's next? Are you going to tell me that oatmeal stout isn't just for breakfast?
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Return to “General Beer Discussion”