Beer in the news

General beer chit chat
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: Beer in the news

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:26 am

NS craft beer sales grew by 39.7% in Q2. http://www.mynslc.com/en/About-NSLC/Med ... er-Results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"NS craft beer sales grew by 39.7% to $3.2M. There are now 38 licensed microbreweries in Nova Scotia, and a growing number of popular local craft beer listings in the NSLC."
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 am

Makes a huge difference when NS craft beer is actually on the shelves at the nslc.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 am

More on changing craft beer rules: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia ... er-changes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova ... -1.3813497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 pm

I hear from brewery startups that the NSLC has bent over backwards almost to help. But http://m.thecoast.ca/halifax/pint-of-co ... id=5741710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last para suggests they are they are behind NS beer. I thought I'd throw in the Twitter clip below. Did they help Unfiltered to get established. I expect so. I'm trying to stir up a discussion here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Another question ...Is taking the NSLC to court the best policy? ...How to make friends and influence people. I like Jeremy's work though, with his negotiation. I've had unfiltered threatening to punch me (my inference) and it didn't do that much for me.
-Mark

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 pm

If you have zero business relationship with the LC, they're not selling you're beer and you don't plan on ever having them sell your beer, then a lawsuit is likely the only way of getting them to take you seriously. There are plenty of other breweries around that have no business arrangement with the NSLC either so setting the precedent would help them as well
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 pm

When you ask if the NSLC helped Unfiltered to get established, what do you mean? Define "help", define "established".

Just because they are highly marking up out-of-province beer, does not mean they are behind NS beer.

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 pm

I think there's two different things at play here. One is does the NSLC do anything for craft beer, and the other is the regulations put in place (or not put in place) by the provincial government.

I think it's fair to say that craft beer has a small amount of promotion put into it compared to local wine or macro beer. At the end of the day the NSLC is run by business folks who don't really know the industry.

The second issue is that our liquor control act is ancient, and there's fees put in place that are heavily skewed to make life easier for wineries/distilleries. This isn't just a Nova Scotia thing - this is seen around the country. I mean, Canada Post's policy is you can ship wine but not beer. I think most people would be happy if there was an even playing field.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:33 am

chalmers wrote:When you ask if the NSLC helped Unfiltered to get established, what do you mean? Define "help", define "established".

Just because they are highly marking up out-of-province beer, does not mean they are behind NS beer.
I was thinking help with licensing and guidance through that side of things, rather than help on the sales side. I had heard that NB was a lot more difficult. I went to a day at Acadia also a couple of years ago (you were there). The NSLC were there with the message that they were there to help.

The other question was we have 2 approaches going on. Letters and discussion vs. litigation. I was concerned that that litigation may harm any relationship rather than helping to build a working collaboration, but maybe it doesn't work that way with government. I have no idea.

Do you remember Ontario's story from that Acadia day? they fought for years and years against these kind of things. The Ontario brewers worked together as an organization and eventually made ground.

It will be interesting to follow this and see how it unfolds.
-Mark

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:31 pm

GuingesRock wrote: The other question was we have 2 approaches going on. Letters and discussion vs. litigation. I was concerned that that litigation may harm any relationship rather than helping to build a working collaboration, but maybe it doesn't work that way with government. I have no idea.
Unfiltered wrote several letters and made several phone calls asking about the markup. The NSLC ignored them and/or refused to respond. That's why they escalated.

cagiva650
Name: Frank

Post by cagiva650 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:12 pm

"Acquittal of cross-border beer shopper still stands"

"The decision means that if the province wants Comeau's acquittal overturned, it will now have to take the case to the Supreme Court of Canada."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3816553
Kde se pivo vaří, tam se dobře daří. Where beer is brewed, life is good.

Toni

Post by Toni » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:11 pm

cagiva650 wrote:"Acquittal of cross-border beer shopper still stands"

"The decision means that if the province wants Comeau's acquittal overturned, it will now have to take the case to the Supreme Court of Canada."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3816553
From what I understand, this was always going to the Supreme Court. The case wasn't just about being allowed to bring beer across borders (although that's what started it) - the group that backed the lawsuit wants open borders for everything. Right now that's not how the country works - there's lots of regulated products that are, fairly or unfairly, restricted.

cagiva650

Post by cagiva650 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:01 am

I am not sure why this is a news story.

"Meet the man who turned part of his house into an amateur craft brewery"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/h ... -1.3834975

cagiva650

Post by cagiva650 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 am

"One Way Brewing announces plans to set up shop in Truro"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3838421

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:31 pm

cagiva650 wrote:I am not sure why this is a news story.

"Meet the man who turned part of his house into an amateur craft brewery"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/h ... -1.3834975

I saw that and thought the same thing.

Mind you, I only saw it because you shared it on FB. ;)

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:16 am

GuingesRock wrote:
chalmers wrote:When you ask if the NSLC helped Unfiltered to get established, what do you mean? Define "help", define "established".

I was thinking help with licensing and guidance through that side of things, rather than help on the sales side. I had heard that NB was a lot more difficult. I went to a day at Acadia also a couple of years ago (you were there). The NSLC were there with the message that they were there to help.
Having just gone through all of this I'll just quickly add that no, they don't do much of anything to guide you through the process. They have a checklist on their website (which is a good place to start) but outside of that, they don't really even talk to you until you have your ducks in a row and your proposal ready. I remember my first email to the NSLC back in June was met with a very short response along the lines of "Talk to us when you get it all done"

After that, once you've submitted your proposal, they're actually not bad to deal with and they'll answer any questions you have; but nobody is holding your hand through the process.
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:08 am

sheanhiggins wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:

Having just gone through all of this I'll just quickly add that no, they don't do much of anything to guide you through the process. They have a checklist on their website (which is a good place to start) but outside of that, they don't really even talk to you until you have your ducks in a row and your proposal ready. I remember my first email to the NSLC back in June was met with a very short response along the lines of "Talk to us when you get it all done"

After that, once you've submitted your proposal, they're actually not bad to deal with and they'll answer any questions you have; but nobody is holding your hand through the process.
Thanks for the first-hand info!

ps. Your pictures of the joint are looking great! Can't wait. :cheers3:

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:18 am

I should also add that while it is super important to fight the NSLC on the arbitrary hoops and regulations, the city isn't much better. Public servants my ass.

Keep an eye on your twitter feed in the next couple of days though...

You'll be sampling some Tidehouse before x-mas.
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

thisissteve
Name: Steve

Post by thisissteve » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:25 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.3871184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just saw this on r/homebrewing today

Hub Brewer
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Pete

Post by Hub Brewer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:50 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3905454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:56 am

that's a pretty damn badly written article (but thanks for posting Pete):
- A few typos to start with.
- It mentions Unfiltered's lawsuit in passing but doesn't explain why they are suing/why this announcement doesn't affect the lawsuit (Unfiltered reckons it is an unconstitutional tax).
- It mentions "craft brewers" when it should be "Craft Brewers Association of Nova Scotia" (with the caveat that the Association does not represent all craft brewers in NS - much like the Canadian Taxpayers Federation doesn't represent all taxpayers).
- has some questionable quotes from the gov'ts press release - it's going to reduce the fees collected by $800,000 when the total collected last year was only $954,000 ? (or $915,875 or $1,200,000 depending on which government quote you believe)
- Finally, it quotes Emily Tipton at the end with zero explanation of who she is (part owner of Boxing Rock, and president of CBANS).

that doesn't even get into any issues with the change itself...

in any case, Todd's got a more balanced/factually accurate writeup. http://maritimebeerreport.blogspot.jp/2 ... ed-to.html
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Looks like Bier Markt is opening up a location in Halifax this summer. Seeing a few job postings on workopolis.

CPR
Name: Christopher Reynolds

Post by CPR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Cool story, Weird Russian Bot!

Re: BierMarkt, they're gonna have a brewpub attached, like the Saint John's location is paired up with Mill Street. Guess which AB-InBev-owned brand will be brewing in the heart of our bar and restaurant core!

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Ontario Beer Store Kicked Out of Competition

Post by McGruff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am

http://www.momandhops.ca/sponsors-repea ... igibility/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I say it's about time these foreign owned breweries were put in their place.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”