Re: Beer in the news

Post by Bowserm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Seen this today in my Google feed.. WTG Stillwell

http://sharpmagazine.com/2017/11/02/the ... in-canada/

CPR
Name: Christopher Reynolds

Post by CPR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Woah! Very kind of them considering they probably haven't tried our new beers yet haha

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:29 pm

CPR wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm
Woah! Very kind of them considering they probably haven't tried our new beers yet haha
Speaking of which cpr, for the bottle release on Nov 19th, where is this "door" located at the Gottingen street location?
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 am

CPR wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm
I haven’t tried any of your beers yet. The next time I’m in the city I’m coming in for some growler fills.

The trips have been less and less lately :(

CPR

Post by CPR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am

We're in the red warehouse behind Propeller on Gottingen—you can get there by driving/walking behind Staples or The Marquee. Just one door!

Thanks for the interest! No growlers for us though; 95% of our beers are high-carb & bottle conditioned, available for on-site consumption at the bar, or to go from the brewery, but only during specially posted hours (like on the 19th, noon-4 pm). We're working on trying to get a manufacturer's license at the bar so we can sell bottles to go from there, and, as our batch sizes increase, we will likely start sending beer out for distribution to the private stores in the coming months. :cheers:

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Funny that you mention the 19th. I need to go to bridgewater that Sunday morning, so I will swing by the brewery and pickup some that afternoon.

I am familiar with that area so I shouldn’t have any issues finding it.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

Do you know what your bottle count for the release on the 19th will be yet?
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

CPR

Post by CPR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

We have somewhere around 35 cases of Stillwell Four. Same for the next couple of releases after that.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:53 pm

On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm

How does that affect any remaining kegs at Stillwell? Will they now begin selling macro? :lol:

CPR

Post by CPR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 am

Totally. Ordered six kegs of Coors Light tonight! Seriously though, this is insane news. We poured our beer at their festival in August and recently got a fresh pallet of their kegs. They are friends of ours and they make great beer! Feeling pretty weird about the beer industry tonight. :/

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am

Take the money and open another brewery.

CPR

Post by CPR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am

It is true that in craft beer we are all very principled and opinionated until times shift and someone shows up with a chequebook.

Toni

Post by Toni » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

I have absolutely no problem with any brewery "selling out". Hey, you put in the time and deserve to be monetarily rewarded for your hard work. I do have an issue with those same breweries complaining when some people then refuse to buy your beer anymore. It may be the same staff and products, but your parent company (or any large multinational) does not play nice. They are in the business of making money for shareholders by crushing the competition. Controlling hop supplies, distribution companies, and driving market prices down to squeeze out the little guy/gal are just some of the methods.

Seriously though, I am going to enjoy razzing the folks at Stillwell every time they put TDD on now. Can I bring a "Brought to you by Molson-Coors" banner to the anniversary? :banana:

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:16 pm

McGruff wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am
Take the money and open another brewery.
Usually when a company is bought out part of the deal is that the owners / senior managment must stay on board for a set period of time. The other talent that is required is usualy given golden handcuffs

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm

It says they kept the original brewpub... not sure how that works (with branding) - assuming they'd have to change the name or something? Also curious what they intend to do with it...
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

CPR

Post by CPR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Toni wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am
Can I bring a "Brought to you by Molson-Coors" banner to the anniversary? :banana:
Yes, and we'll wrap you in it and roll you down the street! lol

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 am

I love TDD and, as long as Molson doesn't change the beer (which will happen eventually), I'll keep buying it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am

Any results from that guy who brought beer back from Quebec and got caught? I heard it was in the courts now, but nothing since then?

CPR

Post by CPR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am

It was at the Supreme Court of Canada yesterday and the day before. They'll take some time to deliberate, but if the New Brunswick judge's stance is upheld (i.e. that Comeau didn't break the law because the law is unconstitutional) we will likely see major changes to the way booze works in our country. I am, to put it mildly, stoked.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 am

CPR wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am
It was at the Supreme Court of Canada yesterday and the day before. They'll take some time to deliberate, but if the New Brunswick judge's stance is upheld (i.e. that Comeau didn't break the law because the law is unconstitutional) we will likely see major changes to the way booze works in our country. I am, to put it mildly, stoked

I'm betting it'll be overturned. I cannot see the SC making the robber barons relinquish control over booze...it would be trying to put the genie back in because then it would be smokes and other goods current regulated by provincial governments. I'd hope it will be upheld but as you can see, I'm pessimistic.

PS - upon the latest news...an ominous question posed by Supreme Court Justice Beverley McLaughlin...and a validation of my belief there's no way in hell the SC will support free trade within Canada...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.4436382
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm

CPR wrote:
It was at the Supreme Court of Canada yesterday and the day before. They'll take some time to deliberate, but if the New Brunswick judge's stance is upheld (i.e. that Comeau didn't break the law because the law is unconstitutional) we will likely see major changes to the way booze works in our country. I am, to put it mildly, stoked.
Chris, I'd like to see it and get stoked up...but I believe you've got a case of "wishful drinking" :rockin:

Toni

Post by Toni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

elreplica wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 pm
CPR wrote:
Chris, I'd like to see it and get stoked up...but I believe you've got a case of "wishful drinking" :rockin:
This. I'll say it again - this is not about allowing Quebec beer into NB. This is about the flow of all goods between provinces. The SC has upheld the status quo for decades, if not longer, based upon an original interpretation of law. Correct or not, there's so many things at stake that if they uphold the NB court ruling then it will be complete chaos across the country. I'm certainly of the opinion that I should able to bring beer anywhere within Canada, but what about cigarettes, guns, dairy, oil, wheat, honey, pharmaceuticals, etc., let alone all the employment/worker rules that exist between provinces.

Perhaps the SC will find a way to separate the liquor from everything else, but that's not why the group backing Comeau took up the cause.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Toni wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm
I'm certainly of the opinion that I should able to bring beer anywhere within Canada, but what about cigarettes, guns, dairy, oil, wheat, honey, pharmaceuticals, etc., let alone all the employment/worker rules that exist between provinces.
Wait - why shouldn't any of these things be taken anywhere in Canada? Legally acquired guns, by the way, already can because they are federally regulated. I certainly don't believe that Comeau should win this case ONLY because it's beer.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 pm

The crux of the biscuit...and beer...is the tip of the iceberg...as I (and Toni elaborated) postulated, the SC won't open the Pandoras Box of protectionist tax bastions governments rely too much on vice taxes, grabs and other streams - usually relegated to general revenues. I just don't see it happening as governments have become far too dependent on those cashcows...

Return to “General Beer Discussion”