Beer in the news

General beer chit chat
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Beer in the news

Post by NASH » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

It's $0.50/L for all beer sold in the province outside NSLC stores. For in-store sales they just mark it up 40% :lol:

This goes for every glass sold, growler, tanker truck etc, brewpubs, microbreweries, big breweries.... We all pay it.

Sent from the Hop-Phone

CPR
Name: Christopher Reynolds

Post by CPR » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:01 pm

First the gift of great American-style hoppy beers in our city and now this. Godspeed, Unfiltered Brewing!

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:09 am

CPR wrote:First the gift of great American-style hoppy beers in our city and now this. Godspeed, Unfiltered Brewing!
Thank you! On it!! :cheers2:

Sent from the Hop-Phone

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 am

Celiacbrew wrote:If they lose the $1 on growlers won't they turn around and restrict sales of alcohol to only NSLC stores?
If they lose the $1 million a year they charge the breweries, they will need to make it up somehow. It would likely result in price increases on the category. Or, yes, restrictions on sales activities on brewery premises, or similar. They typically look at sales outside the NSLC as a loss of revenue to the province, not as a gain for the industry as a whole. I actually worked for them back when Garrison and Propeller were getting started in the late '90's and literally had to explain the markup (taxation) process to the breweries, wineries, etc. That was entertaining... :(

It's interesting that the government attracts new employers to the province (e.g. call centers) with payroll tax incentives, but taxes the crap of our home grown industries.
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:18 am

Alcohol taxes are an incredibly regressive tax (in that they take a larger percentage of a poor person's income than a rich persons income). Any regressive tax is literally stealing from the poor and giving to the rich, and as such should be purged. If the revenue warrants replacement it should be done on taxes that properly scale with wealth (income, capital gains, property)

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:22 am

It's also a sin tax, and you face an uphill battle arguing that it should be minimized. "why should my taxes be higher so someone else can get drunk and not contribute to society"
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

IanWatson
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ian Watson

Post by IanWatson » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 am

AllNS reports that DownEast is facing another lawsuit for unpaid bills, this time from Purity Stainless.

danntanner
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danntanner » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am

NASH wrote:It's $0.50/L for all beer sold in the province outside NSLC stores. For in-store sales they just mark it up 40% :lol:

This goes for every glass sold, growler, tanker truck etc, brewpubs, microbreweries, big breweries.... We all pay it.

Sent from the Hop-Phone
Speaking of the $0.50/l remittance "tax" was there any justification given as to why it is higher than the $0.20/l for wine? Based on consumption levels or cost per oz?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm

IanWatson wrote:AllNS reports that DownEast is facing another lawsuit for unpaid bills, this time from Purity Stainless.
Yup, another $20k lol. Does a big black cloud follow this guy around or what lolol...

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 pm

danntanner wrote:
NASH wrote:It's $0.50/L for all beer sold in the province outside NSLC stores. For in-store sales they just mark it up 40% :lol:

Sent from the Hop-Phone
Speaking of the $0.50/l remittance "tax" was there any justification given as to why it is higher than the $0.20/l for wine? Based on consumption levels or cost per oz?
No.

Sent from the Hop-Phone

danntanner
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danntanner » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 pm

NASH wrote:
danntanner wrote:

Sent from the Hop-Phone
No.

Sent from the Hop-Phone
So then everyone needs to start making barley wine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:49 pm

dean2k wrote:I've already stated in an another post that I think the Olands are being jerks, and simply using the word "moose" (even in relation to beer) shouldn't be enough for trademark infringement and someone with deep pockets should challenge it. So... I'm just going to leave this here. Root beer. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3007005
Moosehead Breweries suing over Moose Wizz root beer logo

Beer giant alleges Adirondack Pub & Brewery Inc.'s moose head label 'highly similar,' may cause confusion

Moosehead Breweries Limited is suing a pub in upstate New York for alleged trademark infringement and unfair competition over its non-alcoholic root beer logo.

Adirondack Pub & Brewery Inc., in Lake George, N.Y., currently makes Moose Wizz, and markets the drink in a bottle featuring the head of a cartoon-like moose with a toothy grin.

In a lawsuit filed with the U.S. District Court earlier this month, the Saint John-based beer-making giant says the soft drink's logo is "highly similar" and may cause "irreparable damage and injury" to its brand.

But Adirondack Pub & Brewery founder John Carr rejects that claim.

"I'm a little like the moose, I'm a pretty independent guy and that didn't ring well with me," Carr told CBC News.

"The Moosehead Brewery, they don't make soda, they don't market anything in our area, there's been no confusion in the marketplace whatsoever with these products," he said.

Moosehead Breweries alleges the soft drink Moose Wizz may cause "irreparable damage and injury" to its brand. (Moosehead Breweries)

​No one from Moosehead was immediately available for comment.

Moosehead's lawyers have requested a jury trial and damages, including all the profit made from Moose Wizz.

Late last year, Moosehead convinced a micro-brewery in Sudbury, Ont., to drop the word "moose" from the name of its Imperial IPA Angry Moose and India Pale Ale Friendly Moose products.

Shawn Mailloux, the owner of Stack Brewing, said Andrew Oland, the president of Moosehead Breweries, had called him to say Moosehead has the sole rights to the word "moose" when it comes to beer in Canada.

Moosehead says its case against Adirondack Pub & Brewery dates back to 2008 when Carr attempted to trademark the Moose Wizz name, then abandoned his application when faced with opposition from Moosehead, based on its prior use of the Moose family of trademarks.

"Moosehead has used the Moosehead mark since at least 1931 in connection with ale, beer, stout, porter and lager," the court documents state.

"Moosehead's Moose family of marks include marks which include the term 'Moose' and/or the likeness of the head of a moose."

The company contends Adirondack Pub and Brewery's Moose Wizz logo is so similar, "members of the purchasing public familiar with Moosehead's products and Moosehead's Moosehead trademarks are likely to be confused, misled or deceived into thinking that the products of Defendant are products of Moosehead or are in some way sponsored by or connected with Moosehead, to Moosehead's irreparable damage and injury.

"Moosehead has no control over the nature and quality of the products offered by Defendant under the Moose Wizz trademark, and thus will be damaged and irreparably harmed by reason of the loss of control over its reputation and the erosion of its goodwill in the Moosehead Registered Marks," the documents state.

Looks like they won and are stirring the pot again!
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ght-battle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm

http://thefullpint.com/dans-blog/ab-inb ... =hootsuite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meg-Gill-meme.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

cagiva650
Name: Frank

Post by cagiva650 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:17 am

Saoud said since there are some corner stores in rural Nova Scotia that already sell beer when there’s no NSLC nearby, it’s only fair to extend the ability to all convenience store owners in urban centres

“They’re running them awesome … you don’t ever hear of a problem. Well, why not here?” Saoud said.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax/20 ... tores.html

Think of the children!!!! I have been to Florida several times. They sell beer in corners stores, gas stations, supermarkets. Florida is a scary place. No one goes there. Certainly not children!!
Kde se pivo vaří, tam se dobře daří. Where beer is brewed, life is good.

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:03 pm

cagiva650 wrote:Saoud said since there are some corner stores in rural Nova Scotia that already sell beer when there’s no NSLC nearby, it’s only fair to extend the ability to all convenience store owners in urban centres

“They’re running them awesome … you don’t ever hear of a problem. Well, why not here?” Saoud said.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax/20 ... tores.html

Think of the children!!!! I have been to Florida several times. They sell beer in corners stores, gas stations, supermarkets. Florida is a scary place. No one goes there. Certainly not children!!
I'm not against beer in corner stores, but this guy runs a store smack dab between Dal and SMU. He certainly has a vested interest in being able to sell to thousands of students. ;)

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Toni wrote:I'm not against beer in corner stores, but this guy runs a store smack dab between Dal and SMU. He certainly has a vested interest in being able to sell to thousands of students. ;)
Every corner store owner has a vested in interest in beer sales ;-)
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:18 pm

This is all bs. Cigarettes are a controlled substance and NB and NS have no problem with corner stores selling smokes. It's also easier to sell bullets than beer. Figure that one out.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Well, you need to have a gun for the bullets to be of any use to you. But with beer all you need is a mouth
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am

WTF? https://twitter.com/MillerLiteCA/status ... 5005934592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:42 am

Buccaneer wrote:WTF? https://twitter.com/MillerLiteCA/status ... 5005934592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dudes, that's the saddest thing I've heard in a while...
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Exactly. WTF is the award given for? This province is daft...
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:55 am

mr x wrote:Exactly. WTF is the award given for? This province is daft...
i believe they won for category 35a: lining pockets
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:34 am

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1405 ... or-licence

Good Robot having some trouble with the neighbours
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am

KB1138 wrote:http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1405 ... or-licence

Good Robot having some trouble with the neighbours
A bit more information. Sounds like a shitty situation, but I'm sure the Good Robot guys will do what they can do mitigate things.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3807528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

That's all a bit squalid.

On the brighter side. Jeremy is working away as a spokesman for the industry: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia ... s%E2%80%99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Return to “General Beer Discussion”