Port Pub/Sea Level

General beer chit chat
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Port Pub/Sea Level

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 am

GuingesRock wrote:If Randy propagated the yeast himself, got it from a previous batch even, I think he can call it Nova Scotian. Just like the hop plants and the seed for the malt might have come from somewhere else.

Most beer ingredients originate from Europe. Most Nova Scotian people are of European decent also. I'm not Nova Scotian because I was born in the UK, but I think my son is. Wife is also Nova Scotian.

A well known company legally advertises that their power tools are made in the USA. As far as I know, they have an assembly plant in the USA, putting together bits and pieces from China. That's not right in my books.

Randy is promoting his own beer for sure but is also promoting local products. Just like the local wine industry, which is becoming big business, uses NS grown grapes, I think it's good.
The yeast is still just yeast, though. With all of the examples you gave, the "thing" underwent some sort of transformation and created something new.

Rhizomes became hops, seeds became malt, seeds became grapes, bits and pieces became a tool, etc.. It's the transformation into something new that makes it "made in NS".

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 am

Good discussion but I’m not sure about that. The claim was “the first beer in Nova Scotia made entirely from local ingredients.” rather than “made in NS”.

If he had used White Labs yeast and White Labs was actually based in Nova Scotia, would that make a difference? White Labs simply propagate yeast as Randy may have done.

I wonder if the wine industry and cider industry in NS make the same claim as Randy? They depend on yeast as well.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:11 am

GuingesRock wrote:Good discussion but I’m not sure about that. The claim was “the first beer in Nova Scotia made entirely from local ingredients.” rather than “made in NS”.

If he had used White Labs yeast and White Labs was actually based in Nova Scotia, would that make a difference? White Labs simply propagate yeast as Randy may have done.

I wonder if the wine industry and cider industry in NS make the same claim as Randy? They depend on yeast as well.
No, it would still just be a yeast from somewhere else - wherever it originated from.

A yeast that was "collected" in NS - a wild yeast found in NS, and propagated for use in a batch, would be considered local yeast.

Shipping a random yeast in from somewhere else and reusing it doesn't make it a local yeast. The only argument for this could be the mutation of the yeast over time, becoming it's own unique "yeast strain"..but I'm pretty sure that's not what they are promoting here.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 am

The term "local" is even less specific than "Nova Scotian". I could be considered local because I live 3 miles from Randy's brewery.
-Mark

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:07 pm

I am with GuingesRock:

Yeast propagated in an area is clearly local, unless no plants grown from imported seed count as local. Actually, propagated yeast is *more* local than produce, since fruits, veggies, grain, etc., have simply transformed from a seed (same organism), whereas yeast cells are wholly new organisms (even if clones of imported organisms).

It's all sort of moot though, since yeast are really a process element, not really an ingredient: for most beer styles, you can filter yeast out--maybe Sea Level even does, I don't know--and the beer will still be the same. (The esters, ethanol, etc., is all unambiguously 'local'.)

:)

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Hmm, I'm still on the side that this is not local yeast, as it did not originate here. Certainly the grains and hops were grown and processed here.

Irregardless, hopefully it tastes good. Anyone grab it?

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 pm

chalmers wrote:Article is misleading (in more than that way), Tata is not using solely Horton Ridge malt for their beer.
Is all Tata beer Organic? Article specifies that it's using all Horton Ridge Malt in their Organic beers, not necessarily all of their beer.

Regardless of the yeast question, I think the fact that it's made entirely from hops grown in NS and barley that's both grown AND malted here in NS is a pretty big deal. We're hardly 10 years removed from the Keith's brewery tour saying that hops don't even grow here. And while it's got some flaws - there are cans available at Bishop's Cellar (or at least were as of Friday) for anyone in the city looking to try it - it's not a timid Canadian Blond sort of Pale Ale. The Horton malt character provides a nice backbone and hop-wise I'd guess it's in the 40 ibu range. Worth a try, especially given the story behind it.

CPR
Name: Christopher Reynolds

Post by CPR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Agreed re: this beer, Bobby.

Tata is indeed all organic!

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:04 pm

There are still cans of the beer at Bishop's.
And since that tweet, there's been a Facebook post that the beer is available again at the brewery (back yesterday).

Return to “General Beer Discussion”