Fog City Brewing

General beer chit chat
PEIBeerGuy
Verified User
Verified User

Fog City Brewing

Post by PEIBeerGuy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:15 pm

I picked this glass up the other day at a V.V.
It looked like it had been sitting on an open shelf for some time, and I'd never heard of the place before.
When I got home, there's very little info on a place in St. John's by the same name. No commercial checkins online (just a home brewer on Untappd... using a Brewnosers glass!), and no match for the logo.

So... what's the deal with the glass / this entity in Newfoundland? Did it used to exist a while ago, close, then re-open with a new logo & lack of their own beer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PEIBeerGuy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to WAIT!" - Mitch Hedberg

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh

Re: Fog City Brewing

Post by GasMD30 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 pm

I believe they only exist as the Fog City restaurant in the Avalon Mall. I believe.
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

PEIBeerGuy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PEIBeerGuy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:26 pm

GasMD30 wrote:I believe they only exist as the Fog City restaurant in the Avalon Mall. I believe.
Yeah, that's all I see, too. This glass certainly hints there was something beerier in its past, though, but I've never heard about it.
I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to WAIT!" - Mitch Hedberg

cagiva650
Name: Frank

Post by cagiva650 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:07 pm

They had a small brew-pub setup many years ago. The beer was mediocre. All the equipment was bought by Storm Brewing.
Kde se pivo vaří, tam se dobře daří. Where beer is brewed, life is good.

PEIBeerGuy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PEIBeerGuy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info, Frank. Any idea on how old it would be? Early 90's since Storm started in '95?

50HlBrewer

Post by 50HlBrewer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Whoa! Fog city brewing was located in the Avalon Mall. Their equipment was eventually purchased by none other than the Gahan House Brewing Co and installed in the basement. The inside of the control panel still says Fog City.

Sweet find!

cagiva650
Name: Frank

Post by cagiva650 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:21 pm

I must ask around. I am sure some of the equipment went to Storm. But probably not all. In 1997 I moved to St John's. They weren't brewing then, so it was in the early 90's.
Kde se pivo vaří, tam se dobře daří. Where beer is brewed, life is good.

PEIBeerGuy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PEIBeerGuy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:28 pm

50HlBrewer wrote:Whoa! Fog city brewing was located in the Avalon Mall. Their equipment was eventually purchased by none other than the Gahan House Brewing Co and installed in the basement. The inside of the control panel still says Fog City.

Sweet find!
Wow. Fitting that it would end up here. Maybe Trent found it stuck in a piece of equipment and dropped it off? ;)

Weaverbaker

Post by Weaverbaker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:05 pm

HI PEIBeerGuy,

I am looking to find either a growler or a glass from fog city brewery. My husband was friends with the guys who founded the company years ago when it was a microbrewery. He had an growler from their original company, same logo as on your glass. Unfortunately it broke recently and it had a lot of sentimental value for him.
Is there any chance you would be willing to sell your fog city glass to me? I'm in Nova Scotia. It would make for an awesome. Christmas surprise for him if you would be willing.

Thanks so much.

Weaverbaker

Weaverbaker

Post by Weaverbaker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:06 pm

HI PEIBeerGuy,

I am looking to find either a growler or a glass from fog city brewery. My husband was friends with the guys who founded the company years ago when it was a microbrewery. He had an growler from their original company, same logo as on your glass. Unfortunately it broke recently and it had a lot of sentimental value for him.
Is there any chance you would be willing to sell your fog city glass to me? I'm in Nova Scotia. It would make for an awesome. Christmas surprise for him if you would be willing.

Thanks so much.

Weaverbaker

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:16 pm

I went there twice. The first time was in 1999 at the suggestion of Jeff Pinhey. The beer they brewed was adequate for the time and place but unremarkable by today's standards.

A few years later I went again and found they were no longer brewing but still operating as a restaurant with the same name. The young sever seemed puzzled when, after he listed all their Molson or Labatt products on tap, I asked him about their "good beers". He retorted that the ones he listed are good beers. I went somewhere else that night.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:35 pm

KMcK wrote:I went there twice. The first time was in 1999 at the suggestion of Jeff Pinhey. The beer they brewed was adequate for the time and place but unremarkable by today's standards.

A few years later I went again and found they were no longer brewing but still operating as a restaurant with the same name. The young sever seemed puzzled when, after he listed all their Molson or Labatt products on tap, I asked him about their "good beers". He retorted that the ones he listed are good beers. I went somewhere else that night.
"I have India"
"But what do you have that's good?"
"I have India, it's pretty good"

That's exactly how that conversation went, isn't it?
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Return to “General Beer Discussion”