Craft BeerAdvent Calendar

General beer chit chat
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Name: Michael Orr

Craft BeerAdvent Calendar

Post by mikeorr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:30 pm

So the NSLC now has the Craft BeerAdvent Calender ( https://www.facebook.com/TheCraftBeerAd ... &ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) in stock: http://www.mynslc.com/Products/PID-1020756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it's $178.72 for 24 (unknown) beer - for that price, I'd really like to know what I'm getting. Anyone here planning on picking one up and providing a list? :)

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Re: Craft BeerAdvent Calendar

Post by Keith » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:35 pm

I wonder if they buy you dinner before they fuck you at the checkout. My god that is over priced.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I think out advent is just fine.

S

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Ha, that's over $7 each, and they're regular sized too. I'm looking forward to our advent calendar.

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47 pm

I picked one up and will be splitting it with a friend so as to make the cost a bit less painful. I'd rather not peek at what it has since, you know, we did pay a small fortune for the thing.

The listed contents are 9 from Canada (likely 5 bottles and 4 cans) and 15 bottles from the US. All 12 oz, but are mostly higher in ABV (14 are 7%+).

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Is this the same thing? I see some brands listed here.

http://www.craftbeerimports.ca/craft/be ... lendar.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:54 am

jmacdonald wrote:Is this the same thing? I see some brands listed here.

http://www.craftbeerimports.ca/craft/be ... lendar.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, it's the same one, but the brands in the graphic won't all be in the Calendar (there are many international breweries there, and this is US & Canada only).

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am

I was in Rockhead Wine and Beer over the weekend and saw a sign advertising their advent beer calendar. I didn't notice how many bottles were included, but the price was about $110.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:48 am

sheppard107 wrote:I was in Rockhead Wine and Beer over the weekend and saw a sign advertising their advent beer calendar. I didn't notice how many bottles were included, but the price was about $110.
IIRC, the Rockhead calendar from last year was 24 beers of varying size, but they were all ones that were off the shelf normally.

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3

Post by mikeorr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Of the provinces that are carrying the Craft BeerAdvent calendar (not to be confused with the one our local private liquor stores are making), there's quite the disparity in price:

NS - $178.72
AB - $139
SK - $135.77

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:12 pm

I'd be curious to see what the NL pricing is. Also, this is assembled in AB so there may be pricing differences between the BC/AB/SK block and the rest of Canada. Still, I'm sure the LC is seeing how much money they can make off of this.

So far the Bayers Lake location has sold 4/30 (one to me). I think they brought in 200 total.

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3

Post by mikeorr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Okay, I went temporarily insane and bought one myself. I decided to open it up and check out what's inside - hopefully others have better luck than I did: the inside box is obviously designed for long-neck bottles and so 3 of the 4 12oz cans slipped out of their spots falling down and jamming on other beers effectively making it impossible to use the 'tear open advent day holes' to get access to many of the beers. I had to open the box entirely and partially mess up both the box and my hands trying to remove some. Ugh..

SPOILERS:
Anyways, for anyone that's interested I made a list of what beers are included here: http://pastebin.com/JYYeKNU2

Please don't quote, copy/paste, etc.. any of the list here and ruin it for the folks that don't want to know.

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks Mike. I won't check the list, but I bet some would like to know it. Shitty to hear about the bottles/cans getting all screwy. Are the bottles/cans stacked horizontally? Seems strange that they'd get all messed up if they were organized like a normal 2-4.

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3

Post by mikeorr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:44 pm

It's a bit difficult to explain, so I've included a picture with any visible caps blacked out. The inside is structured so that the 24 cans & bottles are in a vertical arrangement of 4 rows of 6, on approx a 45-degree angle.

Unfortunately, there's nothing to "grab" the bottom of each bottle - it significantly relies on the bottle(s) below it to be present for the ones above it to rest on. To make matters worse, the "days" are in a random order in the grid so you will be removing bottles from the bottom - which (in my case anyways) will result in the bottle(s) above sliding down. You can already see from the picture, spots where bottles have slipped down inside.

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:45 pm

This is the same thing that happened to me last year and it was pretty disappointing!

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 pm

The potential line-up looks very interesting, but not $180 interesting.

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Are you supposed to lay it down such that you pull the bottles "up" each day? Or you mean that's what you tried but to get the cans you have to go sideways?

Thanks for not posting the list publicly, I really want to try to save the surprise!

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

That design looks horrible.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:45 pm

that's really unfortunate. If it weren't so overpriced and horribly packaged I would've asked for one as an early christmas present :/

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Buccaneer wrote:The potential line-up looks very interesting, but not $180 interesting.
I thought the same thing, i'm splitting one with another guy here in NL and we are going to just drink them over a couple nights. It isn't in the "advent" mode but it will make for some interesting tasting nights.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:49 pm

MitchK wrote:that's really unfortunate. If it weren't so overpriced and horribly packaged I would've asked for one as an early christmas present :/
Sign up for the Brewnosers Advent Calendar next year Mitch when the time comes. 35 Beers to enjoy this year. I can't wait.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Keith wrote:Sign up for the Brewnosers Advent Calendar next year Mitch when the time comes. 35 Beers to enjoy this year. I can't wait.
Woot woot!

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:37 am

Keith wrote:
MitchK wrote:that's really unfortunate. If it weren't so overpriced and horribly packaged I would've asked for one as an early christmas present :/
Sign up for the Brewnosers Advent Calendar next year Mitch when the time comes. 35 Beers to enjoy this year. I can't wait.
I'm already planning on it! I would've put myself on the wait list for this year but I came into this hobby just a few months too late to have something I'd be proud of sharing I think.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:13 pm

I think I'm one of the few people who think most beer at the private stores aren't necessarily overpriced, and yet there's not a single beer on that list that would sell for $7 let alone average out to $7 a bottle. None rare enough to make the extra cost worth it. Maybe 5 years ago but not with what we can get now. And that packaging looked super awkward in the store. Sounds like it's even worse than it looked.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:59 pm

BobbyOK wrote:I think I'm one of the few people who think most beer at the private stores aren't necessarily overpriced, and yet there's not a single beer on that list that would sell for $7 let alone average out to $7 a bottle. None rare enough to make the extra cost worth it. Maybe 5 years ago but not with what we can get now. And that packaging looked super awkward in the store. Sounds like it's even worse than it looked.
All of this. ^

Return to “General Beer Discussion”