moncton nb beer brewers

General beer chit chat
mchops
Name: stewart macdonald

moncton nb beer brewers

Post by mchops » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Hey guys
Just wondering how many beer brewers there are in the moncton area who would like fresh grains for brewing and a place to purchase them from. Please any input will be awesone like to get the beer brewers going strong in new Brunswick

Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andre

Re: moncton nb beer brewers

Post by Andre » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 am

I'm a brewer from Moncton and would love a way to purchase grains without needing to order them.

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:37 am

Sweet keep them coming i might be able to help us out big time

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:08 am

mchops wrote:Sweet keep them coming i might be able to help us out big time
Perhaps if you explained what you were thinking you'd generate more interest. There are many Brewers from around Moncton that might be interested if you elaborated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:59 am

Sorry yeah your right.
So in theory I've been going around to the brew shops in moncton and have asked for grains and hops and all the store owners have said the same thing. No one is brewing beer really. I know that there has to be a strong beer brewing community here and figure i should try to get the brewers to go to a local brew store buy local and start a better homebrewer community. I think i might know of a local brew store that might be willing to bring all the products a beer brewer would need if the demand is there

chefbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeremy

Post by chefbeer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:43 pm

I'd be very interested in a local shop that carries fresh ingredients...care to give us a hint about which shop you're thinking of?

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Need some more interest than ill drop some hints lol

chefbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chefbeer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:35 pm

I really don't think you're going to more interest while being super vague about it. There are so many good shops to deal with over the internet (cough, everwoodave, cough), that it's going to take some excellent customer service and pricing to generate any amount of support.
I too have spoken to some of the shops around town in the past few years, and I just don't see anyone willing to bring in the kind of inventory that would keep brewers coming back.
Just my two cents.

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah you are probably right i guess I'd just like people to get behind these local shops so they can provide and be there instead of people going to the internet. I'm more of a local guy i guess people have to get behind there shops so they will get behind the brewers in my opinion

chefbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chefbeer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:02 pm

I'd love to be able to get behind a local vendor, however I have yet to find someone in Moncton who I feel is ready to go the extra mile to get my business. That being said, if someone local can provide great products at a fair price while also giving excellent customer service, then I'm all in.
Give me a reason to support local, and I'll throw everything I've got behind it.
Give me local done poorly? Forget about it.
:cheers:

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 pm

All good just wanted to see who would no big deal

TerryM
Name: Terry Montague

Post by TerryM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Have to agree with chefbeer. I live close to Moncton and am a big on supporting local businesses and am willing to pay a reasonable premium to see my money recycled locally, but there is a big difference in a shop that does not understand the needs of the community and is not willing to take the risk of servicing their needs, and that of businesses that do not understand or care to learn the basics of the business they are already in.
A shop that sells yeast off the counter, not refrigerated, and expects you to get excited about old hops that have turned yellow from sitting a long time on the shelf, or another that charges an exorbitant mark up on goods they bring in from out of province and make you wait 4 weeks for he same order you could have placed directly with their same NS supplier and received in a few days for less cost shipping included, do not deserve my cash.
Supporting local should not mean settling for inferior quality, poor service or price gouging. I would support a new properly run homebrew store in Moncton.

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks for the input that's what I'm trying to figure out is why the beer is not more strong and why. I'd like to help fix the problem that's all.like the overall opinion why and how we can fix it thanks guys

chefbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chefbeer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:37 pm

mchops wrote:Thanks for the input that's what I'm trying to figure out is why the beer is not more strong and why. I'd like to help fix the problem that's all.like the overall opinion why and how we can fix it thanks guys

The Beer is Strong....don't worry about that.
If we can find someone who's passionate about beer and the community, they'll find all the support they need.
Terry's got the right idea. :rockin:

mchops

Post by mchops » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Sweet i hear ya. So besides fresh grains,hops, yeast for freshness what are some of the other things that aren't in brew shops that you guys wanna see? And knowledge and customer service of course. I know I'd like a place to go and maybe brew up and create recipes with other brewers. Choose and create a custom kit from your own ideas or other recipes in store would be cool as well. What do you guys think

Chockpish
Name: Chockpish

Post by Chockpish » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:18 am

Locally buying quality grains, hops and yeast; i'm all in.

mchops

Post by mchops » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:44 am

Sweet like the feed back

mchops

Post by mchops » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:35 pm

I believe that new Brunswick moncton area could benefit from a homebrew beer store that is more involved in education ingredients and the lifestyle it has and how craftbeer is strong and growing with room for even more growth

Flip
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flip » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 am

Yup, I would be up for buying grains and supplies in Moncton.

RasMouSein
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Rémi Blanchard

Post by RasMouSein » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Selfserve grain bar :) yes!

mcltre36
Name: Trevor

Post by mcltre36 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:19 pm

yes, count me in as well! Local Moncton store would be awesome!

fermad
Name: stephane

Post by fermad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Yellow hops sitting on the shelves is a clear indicator for total lack of awareness towards providing
quality ingredients.
So let's say you guys get the brewing sting and want to get your hands on a 50 lbs bags of malt, how do you go about?
Cause shipping cost as much as the actual bag if you order online.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 pm

fermad wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm
Yellow hops sitting on the shelves is a clear indicator for total lack of awareness towards providing
quality ingredients.
So let's say you guys get the brewing sting and want to get your hands on a 50 lbs bags of malt, how do you go about?
Cause shipping cost as much as the actual bag if you order online.
Check out everwood or wait for the next group buy.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 am

The group buys that Johnny Mac puts on, generally 3 to 4 times a year, are great to get your grains. A bit of planning may be required on each individual to ensure that the grains you want are purchased in advance. There are a bunch of us in the SAAZ chapter that coordinate pick-up by one of the members. I can't remember a time when I came back with less than 7 bags of grains.

Generally costs range between $30 to $50 per 55 lbs bag depending on the malt, partials permitted if enough interest is there to split a bag. Delivery was generally $400 per skid, i.e. $10 a bag to the pick up point and a 5% Brewnoser surcharge. Last grain split, the freight was negligible, $50 I think per skid. Hops, yeast, adjuncts, cleaning supplies, etc., can be ordered, when available. Additionally, the last grain split was at Everwood (thanks again Dave) and as such any other items can be picked up at the same time as long as it is pre-ordered and paid.

Not the same as running down to your corner store to buy grains, however, taking part in the Brewnoser grain buys does have its advantages.

I do have an account with Canadian Malting and have tried to generate interest in the local area with respect to grain purchase, however, there was not enough to justify an entire skid, i.e. $400 in delivery whether the skid has 1 bag or 40 bags.

Perhaps, rather than reinventing the wheel, a bit of coordination between brewers would be the better approach. Again, I realize it's not the corner store approach, however, what I have found is that if I need an ingredient or need to borrow a piece of equipment one of my fellow brewers is happy to assist when in a pinch, as am I to return the favour.

Just my two cents worth.
Why brew beer I can buy?

fermad
Name: stephane

Post by fermad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 am

Sounds great! You guys are really organised! Where does the info about a group order pop up? Randomly when someone decides its time it shows up on the forum, or a mailing list? Would love to have some details.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”