Looking For New Friends

New members, introduce yourselves!
TroyH
Name: Troy Hamstra

Looking For New Friends

Post by TroyH » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking in the shadows around this site for awhile before actually joining, was introduced to the site by a fellow Brewnoser. I really would like to meet some of you on brew day, watch and learn I'm still getting my feet wet and haven't brewed a batch yet. I'm completely new but fascinated with homebrew naturally as a scientist and Biologist by trade I'm intrigued, I am trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible, I'm currently reading "The complete joy of Homebrewing - Charlie Papazain" figured it was a good place to start. Planing to read "The Practical Brewer by the MBAA" and " the Scientific Principles of Malting and Brewing by Charles Bamforth". I have one question is it too eager to try and do a whole grain mash instead of an extract kit for a first brew?? Im not being snobby just figure might as well throw myself into the fire head first and dive in :lol:

any tips you guys have or if anyone is interested in having me over for a brew day so I can watch and learn would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Troy

Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Funk

Re: Looking For New Friends

Post by Hobbitfu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:34 pm

I did a few basic kits first but then went all grain directly instead of extract and partial mashes. It's doable if you have the will to learn and read. How to Brew by John Palmer is another good book to read. The Bamforth book maybe better after some experience, not that you wouldn't understand as clearly you have a relevant background. Just may benefit more from it later (though I haven't yet read it, been on my to read list!). Better to read process books like Papazian and Palmer or Randy Moser's Mastering Homebrew. Best of luck to you! (where are you located?)

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Welcome aboard!

Before going too wild, I second your idea of sitting in/helping on a brewday with your local neighbourhood brewer.

Before buying lots of gear for all grain, look into BIAB - Brew In A Bag. You can get away with just one vessel, which will serve as your Hot Liquor Tank, Mash Tun, and Kettle. We've got a good number of members using that technique.

South End Halifax, I'm sure there will be some brews going on this weekend nearby, and hopefully someone will be able to chime in.

TroyH

Post by TroyH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks Guys!!

@Hobbitfu thanks for the book recommendations I will definitely look into those, I am located in the south end of Halifax currently completing my Master's in Molecular Biology. I'm actually working with Cereal grains, Barley to be specific, but we do a lot with yeast cloning as well so I want to use that knowledge eventually and try to cross some yeast strains for unique profiles if I can figure out genetically how to get it to work.

@ Chalmers Thats the plan I didn't want to go wild and checked my ego at the door, realized I needed the help and genuinely want to learn from people who are much better and more experienced than I am. I want to be a sponge, and soak up as much information as possible before trying to brew my first batch. I would be willing to split on supplies if thats what it takes I'm totally open to suggestions. I was actually just looking at the BIAB system and put it high on the list of potential systems to start with.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:35 pm

I think doing partial mash is probably the best and easiest way to start. Learn to mash, learn to manage a boil, and most importantly learn to deal with fermentation. I'd be glad to have you over to help out with a brew sometime. Not sure when the next one will be, but if you're interested I'll keep you posted
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I would wager anyone capable of completing a graduate degree is more than capable of starting at all-grain from a process perspective - the issue is cost of equipment (compared to say a festa kit) and the fact that if anything does go wrong it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly where it went wrong.

I also think sitting in on another person's brew day is probably a good idea. Sitting in on someone's bottling day even moreso.

TroyH

Post by TroyH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 pm

KB1138 (Kevin) I thought about partial mash as well, and would love to come over for your next brew session regardless of when it is, the more I watch/ volunteer the more I learn.

MitchK - that why I'm pretty much dead set on starting with super small batches (1-2.5gal) unless you guys think otherwise.... 1) so the expense for supplies is reduced, and 2) so I can brew more often and perfect the technique while minimizing the the costly strain of guaranteed bad batches the first little while.

If I can't find a local willing to take me under their wing, I might try visiting some of local microbreweries and see if I can get on volunteering at the brewery (sanitizing, cleaning out the brew kettle etc.) and hopefully just learn by being around the brewery, and being able to talk all things beer and brewing related with pros. I'm always down to have a chat about yeast physiology and plant genetics haha.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 pm

TroyH wrote: MitchK - that why I'm pretty much dead set on starting with super small batches (1-2.5gal) unless you guys think otherwise.... 1) so the expense for supplies is reduced, and 2) so I can brew more often and perfect the technique while minimizing the the costly strain of guaranteed bad batches the first little while.
I haven't done more than a couple of small batches in the two and a half years I've been brewing, but mostly what I've determined is that there isn't a whole lot of time savings. You're still committing to a good 4 hours. And while it might be easier work than a 5 gallon (or bigger) batch, if I'm going to put 4+ hours of effort in I want to maximize, within reason, my return on that time. Five gallons is an excellent starting point. It requires no scaling to start kegging and at the same time you can bottle it in a reasonable amount of time. Grain and hops are pretty cheap. Dry yeast too (and there's nothing wrong with using dry yeast, especially for your first few batches).

In terms of the cost of gear, getting in at the 5 gallon size means not having to upgrade some or all of your kit when you do scale up. Sure, you can hold on to the gear you have for when you want to make smaller batches, but again, if you've got the chance to make 3 gallons of beer in 4 hours or 5 gallons of beer in 4 hours, most of the time you're going to make the bigger batch.

Lastly, you're far from guaranteed to make bad batches at the beginning. You're doing the right things by reading up, contacting folks on the forum and really, and just by putting in sober thought before you go on a buying spree. I went straight to all-grain in my first brew in January of 2014. I had fermented a couple of wine kits at that point, but nothing more. I had a colleague at work who was a Brewnoser and came over and helped me with my first brew day. In 2.5 years I've made 161 gallons or so. Not all of them have been brilliant, but some have been pretty okay. Every batch has been educational and with one exception, drinkable.

I highly recommend attending someone else's brew day, a couple if you can. It's worth seeing other people's setups and how they can be different. If a Grainfather or other all-in-one unit is even a remote consideration for you, try to go watch someone who's got one. DIY electric is also worth seeing if you think there's a chance you might go in that direction. But the classic cooler and pot rig is probably the best baseline because that's the easiest kit to get into. Also gear gets recycled on here pretty frequently. As we get into Fall and folks start brewing more, I suspect you'll see more equipment available in the Classified section as people upgrade.

My only other two pieces of advice are: 1. Sanitation. Sanitation. SANITATION. 2. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:55 am

Phyl and I will be brewing this week (Thursday, Friday, or Saturday) in the west end. You're welcome to join us.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

TroyH

Post by TroyH » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:32 pm

KMcK wrote:Phyl and I will be brewing this week (Thursday, Friday, or Saturday) in the west end. You're welcome to join us.
Hey sorry for the late reply I was getting my caveman system set up in the new apartment... I would like to sit in on a couple brew sessions people if the offers are still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 am

Phyl and I plan to brew tomorrow; possibly two batches so there will be plenty of learning opportunity. Join us if you wish.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

TroyH

Post by TroyH » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:56 pm

KMcK wrote:Phyl and I plan to brew tomorrow; possibly two batches so there will be plenty of learning opportunity. Join us if you wish.
sorry I missed another brew day ..... school stuff but I am free this weekend if anyone is planning a brew session I would love to sit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:57 pm

I'll be doing a beer either Saturday or Sunday
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout