Blackberry wine

New members, introduce yourselves!
Fergy22
Name: Fergy

Blackberry wine

Post by Fergy22 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi All,
Newbie,
Bought a 12 acre farm on PEI 10 months ago, i have cascade hops, apples trees, grapes, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries
Just started a 10lb batch of blackberry wine, in the bucket now is 15 liters of liquid, added 2 tsp. of pectic enzyme, sugar tomorrow
any suggestions will be thankful
thx
Ferg

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bruce Mailman

Re: Blackberry wine

Post by the-mailman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 am

Welcome to the group. I've only made blackberry wine once and I found it took a long time to age into good wine. It took a long time to clear as well. I racked it about every three months until it was clear and then left it another 6 months in the carboy before bottling. It turned out very strong with a heavy body. I don't think I used finings, so that might speed up clarification. Try strawberries when they're in season again. They make excellent wine but you have to use some grape concentrate to give a some body.

Here's one of the recipe I use for fruit wine.

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/strawberr ... ne/1215409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on my name in the recipe details and you can see my other wine recipes. Banana, blueberry, and cherry all tested and tasty.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

Fergy22

Post by Fergy22 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 am

Sugared 2 kilos, yeast and nutrient, what if i added too much water? Will it still work?
Could i add more blackberries?
Fermenting but slow

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bruce Mailman

Post by the-mailman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Too much water will affect the final alcohol content since it changes the SG and it may also be thin bodied. Just have to wait and see. I don't think you could accurately add more fruit since it is already fermenting and it would be hard to get it back to the right SG.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

Fergy22

Post by Fergy22 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:28 pm

okay thanks
will wait n C

Return to “New Member Introductions”