Hi from Dieppe!

New members, introduce yourselves!
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Hi from Dieppe!

Post by GCR » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:07 pm

A buddy of mine and I recently decided to jump right into the home brew scene. We have zero experience brewing beer, but I used to brew wine with my wife many moons ago when we lived in Miramichi (I'm from Newcastle). This wine, while fun to brew, was not specifically too good (we usually bought the mid to low-range kits), particularly as our palettes developed over time (ok, it was not so great right from the get-go, but it was cheap booze - we were young, ok?). We also both liked beer much more than wine anyway, so we stopped shortly before we moved away.

I have always been interested in brewing my own beer, but I vowed that if I ever got into it, I would go whole hog and do all-grain (please note: I am not in any way suggesting/implying that you can't make fantastic beer with extracts, partial mash, BIAB, etc... or that they are inferior - if I had any common sense at all, I would have started out by learning that first).

I always figured the cost would be exorbitant, and that it would be more of a post-retirement kind of project. But I tried a beer that a friend of mine made (with a partial mash), and it was really good (read: even my wife enjoyed it). And then I started doing a little research about what I'd need and realized it wasn't *that* expensive, and started thinking about how far away retirement would be (likely 15-20 years from now)...

So anyway, we picked up a used Grainfather system, and we are soon embarking on our journey. We're starting out with one of my favourite styles - an IPA (Best Coast). I look forward to learning from you all on this forum.

Sláinte,

Greg

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Re: Hi from Dieppe!

Post by jmacdonald » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:18 am

:welcome:

hebertovich
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Mike

Post by hebertovich » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 am

Welcome
NB Craft Brewers' Market /Owner
http://nbcbm.ca

mcltre36
Name: Trevor

Post by mcltre36 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:07 am

Welcome!

I also live in Dieppe, and also originally from Miramichi (Chatham). I ALSO just picked up a grainfather last week and picked up a Red Ale kit from best case...haha!!

robcoombs

Post by robcoombs » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Welcome

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 pm

mcltre36 wrote:Welcome!

I also live in Dieppe, and also originally from Miramichi (Chatham). I ALSO just picked up a grainfather last week and picked up a Red Ale kit from best case...haha!!
Cool. You're gonna love the grainfather... it's the bee's knees. Have you picked up a hop spider yet? I am on the lookout for one - that is the only problem I have encountered with the GF so far - the hops tend to get clogged in the pump when it comes time to chill the wort.

mcltre36
Name: Trevor

Post by mcltre36 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 am

GCR wrote:
mcltre36 wrote:Welcome!

Cool. You're gonna love the grainfather... it's the bee's knees. Have you picked up a hop spider yet? I am on the lookout for one - that is the only problem I have encountered with the GF so far - the hops tend to get clogged in the pump when it comes time to chill the wort.

I ordered one with the grainfather, but its on back order at the moment, so im just waiting for that to come in. The pump did clog a bit on the weekend and I had to clean if off with the paddle to get it going again. I think i may use a hop sock or try a whirlpool on the next brew. Hopefully that will solve that issue! Other that than, brew day was breeze...great unit!

Cheers!

Return to “New Member Introductions”