Hi From Jeddore, NS

New members, introduce yourselves!
jimboh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: jim

Hi From Jeddore, NS

Post by jimboh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Came to Canada 10 years ago from the UK where I was something of a Real Ale lover.
3 things led me into serious home brew, The cost of wine/beer through NSLC, The lack of local bars and that I am not a great lover of store bought regular ale.
I have been brewing beer: Festa, Barons and Silly Yak (for the Gluten Free wife) and wine for 9 years now and have brewed over 200 kits.
Have 2 kegerators, one indoors and one in the games room. Will post details in the DIY area.
Just finished building a fermentation chamber (read cupboard) in my basement for controllable temps and have also just finished building a bar in my games room.
Am now looking into getting into all grains. Been reading about traditional, BIAB and Grainfather and am trying to decide which route to go.
I'm am not too daunted by the cost of the Grainfather as I reckon it wouldn't be to difficult to sell should I decide its not for me.
Advice welcome

I also enjoy the project side, had great fun following online ideas for a pot/reflux combi, particularly proud of my parrot!
Drinking: Best Coast IPA, Old Speckled Hen Clone, Northern Lights (NG),
Belgian Saison, Blonde Ale, Toy Soldier Stout(OBK) and 14G batch of ESB.
Fermenting: Taking a rest!
Scheduled: Another 10G of Toy Soldier Stout.

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Hi From Jeddore, NS

Post by bluenose » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:06 pm

:welcome:

great hobby for the DIY'er

I'm in the process of upgrading my cooler BIAB setup to an electric HERMS system

I haven't used a grainfather, but I hear good things.

:cheers:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Welcome aboard! Those on here who have sprung for the Grainfather really enjoy it. If you go through a lot of beer, or have lots of friends, you may miss the ability to do larger batches, but I feel that would be the biggest complaint for users.

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Welcome! We love our Grainfather - mash recirculation, good temperature control, can hold temp for 24+ hours (for kettle souring, simmering, etc.) Highly recommend for 5 - 6 gallon batches. Sadly, can't do large/double batches (which is perfect for us though).
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Welcome

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:49 pm

"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:15 am

Hey Jim from Jeddore...I believe I met you - based on your UK origins and beer projects - at Noble Grape in Burnside Thursday before Christmas. If so, you didn't wait for much more advice on here and pulled the trigger on all the Grainfather toys and two fast ferments. I was the guy you were trying to "one up" lol. Welcome and best wishes in the Brew Year. :cheers:
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

jimboh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: jim

Post by jimboh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Yup That was me. Used the GF twice now to distill water. Works great except not being able to turn it down a little to control reflux. Turning it to mash is too low.
Also brewed that all grain I bought in store and its now in one of the Fastferments finishing Primary. Can't wait to taste it!
Might bump into you in NG some time.
If not, get those fastferments full.
Happy Brew year to you too.
Drinking: Best Coast IPA, Old Speckled Hen Clone, Northern Lights (NG),
Belgian Saison, Blonde Ale, Toy Soldier Stout(OBK) and 14G batch of ESB.
Fermenting: Taking a rest!
Scheduled: Another 10G of Toy Soldier Stout.

Return to “New Member Introductions”