New member in Bedford

New members, introduce yourselves!
NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Walsh

New member in Bedford

Post by NovaJeff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Jeff from Bedford. Haven't brewed since my university years and pretty sure I wasn't making anything great back then. In research phase now to get some gear to start making my own. Loving many crafts locally and figured I should get going myself. Favourite supply stores around HRM? Any advice for or against a Grainfather?
Looking forward to learning lots!
Thanks,
Jeff

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: New member in Bedford

Post by GAM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:09 am

I do not own a GF. IMHO if I bought one 30 years age (They did not exist) I would be in money. Smaller batch size and 102v limitation are the only draw back I can see.

Sandy

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NovaJeff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks Sandy

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm

We bought a GF last April, and have used it a ton. Love it because it's compact, easy to use and clean, allows indoor brewing in winter, and holds temperature well for kettle souring, etc. Great for 5 - 6 gallon batches.

:welcome:
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Welcome aboard!

LisaJ is our local GF expert, I bet she can tackle any of your questions or queries.

Hmm, maybe we need a GF sub-forum?

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:19 pm

chalmers wrote:Welcome aboard!

LisaJ is our local GF expert, I bet she can tackle any of your questions or queries.

Hmm, maybe we need a GF sub-forum?
Oh my... wouldn't call myself an expert by any means. Still learning a ton about brewing and our GF!! Love using it, though!

There are a couple of good GF threads on the forums. One in particular has a detailed spec for all the settings you would need to use for your GF Equipment Profile in Beersmith, should you plan to use that software. It was really helpful. Mike E ("Celiac Brew" on the forum) is a wealth of Grainfather information. He's crazy helpful - look him up.

The GF sub-forum sounds like a great idea.
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:04 am

I agree with the sub forum. There are quite a few folks here with a GF including Everwood Dave...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am

NovaJeff wrote:Jeff from Bedford. Haven't brewed since my university years and pretty sure I wasn't making anything great back then. In research phase now to get some gear to start making my own. Loving many crafts locally and figured I should get going myself. Favourite supply stores around HRM? Any advice for or against a Grainfather?
Thanks,
Jeff

Whilst I dearly love my GF, keep an eye out for other cheaper, reasonable facsimiles, eg - Robobrew and Chinese knockoffs...the great thing about the GF company and products is that they're like Apple, decent quality although at a higher cost - but you get great product integration and user friendly hardware and "breware". Everwood would likely be my store of choice, as Dave now uses a GF, has wicked beer recipes and the best gadget selection anywhere. Oh...and BTW, welcome Jeff.
Last edited by elreplica on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 am

NovaJeff wrote:Jeff from Bedford. Haven't brewed since my university years and pretty sure I wasn't making anything great back then. In research phase now to get some gear to start making my own. Loving many crafts locally and figured I should get going myself. Favourite supply stores around HRM? Any advice for or against a Grainfather?
Thanks,
Jeff

Whilst I dearly love my GF, keep an eye out for other cheaper, reasonable facsimiles, eg - Robobrew and Chinese knockoffs...the great thing about the GF company and products is that they're like Apple, decent quality although at a higher cost - but you get great product integration and user friendly hardware and "breware". Everwood would likely be my store of choice, as Dave now uses a GF, has wicked beer recipes and the best gadget selection anywhere.

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NovaJeff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guys. Ordering GF from Everwood today and hope to get my first batch on this weekend and will keep you posted. Sub forum wouldn't be a bad idea....looking forward to learning from you all more.
Jeff

Return to “New Member Introductions”