Member in Cape Breton

New members, introduce yourselves!
tacoma5149
Name: Bill

Member in Cape Breton

Post by tacoma5149 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 am

I have been a member for a while but haven't been on here much. Doing extract on the stove top so far. Just bought a used grainfather to get started with all grain and I'm hoping to participate more and get lot's of info from the more experienced brewers. Looking forward to some great brews.
Bill

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Re: Member in Cape Breton

Post by Lisa J » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 am

We brew with a Grainfather, and if you search the forums, there are some really good threads on Grainfather brewing. Ask questions - there's always someone who can help!
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Where about in Cape Breton are you located? I know I saw someone else on here listed as living in Sydney.

Also out of curiosity where do you get your brewing supplies? I just got my brother in law and my little brother into brewing and if there's a good supplier around it would be good for them to know. They've been ordering from OBK. One lives in Sydney, the other in Inverness.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Jason Loxton here. I am in Sydney (teach at CBU). Fairly longtime all grain brewer. Feel free to ask any questions!

tacoma5149

Post by tacoma5149 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Lisa J wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 am
We brew with a Grainfather, and if you search the forums, there are some really good threads on Grainfather brewing. Ask questions - there's always someone who can help!
Thanks Lisa. I am reading through the Grainfather thread now and will search the other posts as well. Looking forward to lots of great info.

tacoma5149

Post by tacoma5149 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:18 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm
Where about in Cape Breton are you located? I know I saw someone else on here listed as living in Sydney.

Also out of curiosity where do you get your brewing supplies? I just got my brother in law and my little brother into brewing and if there's a good supplier around it would be good for them to know. They've been ordering from OBK. One lives in Sydney, the other in Inverness.
I am in Sydney. I was previously brewing extract kits and doing some partial mash. The kits are readily available in town. I used Wine Expert on Prince St. and Brewers Direct on Kings Rd. I also used OBK for some grain and other ingredients. I just got a second hand Grainfather and ordered two all grain recipes from OKB. There's not much in the line of grains and ingredients available in town. The owner out at Brewers Direct said she has done some special orders for all grain brewers in the past. I am going to talk to her the next time I'm out that way. I'll let you know what I find out.

tacoma5149

Post by tacoma5149 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:26 pm

jason.loxton wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm
Jason Loxton here. I am in Sydney (teach at CBU). Fairly longtime all grain brewer. Feel free to ask any questions!
Thanks Jason. I know a couple of guys who teach out there as well. There was another welcome from danlatimer who said he has a brother and a brother in-law in the area as well. He asked about ingredients. Just wondering where you get ingredients for your brews. Are there any brewers around who are doing group buys of grains or whatever?
Take care, Bill

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 pm

I offered in the past to be a free depot for distribution of material on Cape Breton for Dave from Everwood, if it made sense for him, but I guess it didn't. Might be worth periodically putting things together ourselves. I got a bunch of specialty grain in the recent OBK 25% sale, so I am good till at least the new year.

tacoma5149

Post by tacoma5149 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:33 pm

jason.loxton wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 pm
I offered in the past to be a free depot for distribution of material on Cape Breton for Dave from Everwood, if it made sense for him, but I guess it didn't. Might be worth periodically putting things together ourselves. I got a bunch of specialty grain in the recent OBK 25% sale, so I am good till at least the new year.
I just got an order from OBK as well and will be set for a while. If you ever want to look at pooling an order from Everwood I have a couple of buddies who are in the Halifax area quite a bit that would probably pick it up. Keep it in mind.
I got a three roller mill in an OBK flash sale a little while back. I would be interested in bulk grain. I spoke with the owner of Brewer's Direct on King's Rd. and she said she has done some special bulk orders for people as well. I also saw this stores add on Kijiji and their website says they will do Maritime deliveries for a flat rate of $20. https://eastcoasthoppers.ca
Anyway, keep me in mind if your doing an order. I have to get brewing something soon. Had two kegs blow empty this week!!
Cheers,
Bill

Return to “New Member Introductions”