I know nothin, Jon Snow...

New members, introduce yourselves!
ScotianHobo

I know nothin, Jon Snow...

Post by ScotianHobo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Alright. Buddy of mine and I brewed some cider a few years back that we now know to describe as a bespoke one-off expression of hyper localized yeast forwardness, but at the time we just described as "gym socks ale" as most folks we goaded into trying it assumed that's how it was filtered.

We then handed back our "Adventurer" cards, hugged the middle of the road with a string of turnkey festa brews for a few years while we made kids and subscribed to the hollow promises of responsibility the workdays offered up.

Late last week I hit my "enough goddammit " moment and impulse bought a giant bag of grain, a few bags of hops (which my kid ripped the labels off of and I may have gotten backwards for timing during the boil), and pitched a Belgian saison to hopefully work up something close to a 6.2 percent chance of success, if not alcohol.

I did an exhaustive amount of research and got myself super educated on equipment by nearly finishing all 3 BIAB YouTube videos I could load in the parking lot at Kent and got a 48quart aluminum pot that held the mash nearly as well as my dreams.

Looking forward to improving. My goal is to get a good schooling, have fun failing, and eventually get to a point where I can talk seriously about doing a lambic, nod on with notions of a Flemish red, and kriek -geek out with the best of em. And by best I mean whatever subset of try-hards are out there. ;)

:headbang:

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Re: I know nothin, Jon Snow...

Post by Lisa J » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Sounds like you've come to the right place. Welcome!
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 am

Welcome!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Sounds good, :welcome:

If we get some lambic brewers out there maybe we can have a blending session.

Return to “New Member Introductions”