East Hants Brewers?

New members, introduce yourselves!
FreddyJ

East Hants Brewers?

Post by FreddyJ » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:03 am

After not brewing for a number of years, I am once again going to try my hand at the game.

So far I've brewed 4 batches of extract and partial extract beers. In my opinion, 3 came out pretty good, my current brew, not so much.

Over the last couple of years I accumulated some pretty good brewing gear. A few of Blichmann pieces (Conical Fermenter, G3 electric kettle, Wort Chiller).

So far I have only used the fermenter and that produced the beer which is not overwhelming me at the current time.

I am looking for some tips on how to use the gear I have accumulated in order to brew a consistent good beer. (I currently use my original kettle and a propane burner along with a home made coil wort chiller).

A project ongoing in my garage (hopefully to be completed by the end of the week) is a fermentation chamber.

Is there anyone who may live in the area that would be willing to let me watch them on brew day with some or all of the equipment I have collected so I could have an idea as to how to produce good batches of beer?

Thanks for any assistance which may be provided.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: East Hants Brewers?

Post by LiverDance » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Figuring out your gear usually takes a little bit and it's good to record everything. I'm using Beersmith brewing software so it's easier to keep track of these tweaks for consistency. Another good thing to keep and eye on when starting out to brew better beer is your water supply. Not sure if you are on municiple or well water but it would be handy to know what's in your water and adjust for that as well.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

FreddyJ

Re: East Hants Brewers?

Post by FreddyJ » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:08 am

I'm on municipal water. I've read that most brewers put a filter on their water supply before brewing. Is that the case with this group? I have also started to use camden tablets to try to rid the water of chlorine.

Return to “New Member Introductions”