Hello to all

New members, introduce yourselves!
eastcoast
Name: Barry Myatt

Hello to all

Post by eastcoast » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to the group. I've been a beer lover since the first mouthful many years ago and while I must say my brewing experience is pretty much nil (except for the home brew kit days of trade school,which I don't remember too much of) I really don't know anything about it. But I figure I guy has to start somewhere. So after some searching I found Brewnosers and was hoping to get an idea of where to start. If anyone could recommend a book or two to read and where to go for equipment and supplies that would be great.

Cheers to all! :cheers2:

Barry
"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
-W.C. Fields

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Hello to all

Post by akr71 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:36 pm

I'd start with John Palmer's 'How to Brew' its a great resource and the first edition is online free: http://www.howtobrew.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get yourself some gear, maybe do a kit brew or two (I'd for the FestaBrew kits - they cost a little more, but you get a good beer out of them). Once you're hooked, you can start extract brewing and make your own recipes, or just jump straight to all-grain brewing (which may sound daunting, but isn't really, once you've done a batch or two - even better yet, sit in with someone else).

Oh yeah - Welcome!
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Welcome to the site!
I started doing the noble grape partial mash recipes. They did a good job of teaching me how the process works, but you could just as easily learn from the book, "how to brew". I only found out about the book after the fact, but it definitely gives you all the info you need. If you keep a close eye on kijiji, equipment generally shows up at a good price every week or two
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks,

I gave a quick look through the How to Brew book online. It looks like there is lots of great info to get me started. I'll keep an eye on kijiji for some gear too.

Do you recommend I buy a kit like the one in this link or can I pick this gear up at a local brew shop for the same price? I'd rather get it local to support our oun.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15911/ ... ing_Deluxe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks

Barry
-W.C. Fields

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew Smith

Post by andrewtrsmith » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

I started with the kit from Noble Grape (which generally includes your first FestaBrew kit) for around $100. When i went to extract brewing I got a 20-qt stainless steel pot from crappy tire for about $30 and it's been serving me well for about a year now.

And welcome, I just joined the other day myself.
Sign's your not quite awake yet ... "Where the heck is RIS?"

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 am

Welcome. I'm a big fan of Brewing Classic Styles. IIRC Gordon Strong is supposed to come out with a book soon.

Edit: Need to use the rare smilie - :welcome:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:54 am

mr x wrote:Welcome. I'm a big fan of Brewing Classic Styles. IIRC Gordon Strong is supposed to come out with a book soon.

Edit: Need to use the rare smilie - :welcome:
Yes, Brewing Classic Styles doesn't stray far from my bedside table - good bedtime reading. :cheers2:
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 am

If you like wine, today's deal at teambuy.ca is probably not a bad way to get started on the equipment you want. You may even find someone who would let you trade the wine kit for a beer kit
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 am

JEH wrote:If you like wine, today's deal at teambuy.ca is probably not a bad way to get started on the equipment you want. You may even find someone who would let you trade the wine kit for a beer kit

I wonder if they would substitute a festa brew kit for the wine kit? Good deal for someone just getting into it.

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew Smith

Post by andrewtrsmith » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 am

Jimmy wrote:
JEH wrote:If you like wine, today's deal at teambuy.ca is probably not a bad way to get started on the equipment you want. You may even find someone who would let you trade the wine kit for a beer kit

I wonder if they would substitute a festa brew kit for the wine kit? Good deal for someone just getting into it.

Thats what they did for me, they substituted a festa brew for the vinters reserve kit they usually put in. If you want one of the seasonal Festa Brews (i think its an ESB right now) you may need to pony up another $10
Sign's your not quite awake yet ... "Where the heck is RIS?"

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks JEH,

I just ordered the wine kit you suggested. I'll probably just keep the kit and make wine for the wife. Of course I'll have to test it from time to time. X)
I'll just get the starter beer kit as previously mentioned and have twice the fun.
-W.C. Fields

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 am

Country Harbour...good to see that we are branching out. :cheers:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “New Member Introductions”