Pizza Dough

A spot to talk food
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Pizza Dough

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:31 pm

Anyone have a good pizza dough recipe? The recipe I use tends to be too stiff, not elastic enough. Perhaps I am just adding too much flour, who knows. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a good pizza dough recipe, if someone has one to share!
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Pizza Dough

Post by Keggermeister » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Lately I just use the following:

4 cups AP flour
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp sugar

Hydrate yeast in 1 cup warm water and sugar until it starts to foam.
Mix dry ingredients, add oil and yeast starter. add remaining 1/2 cup water until dough cleans mixer bowl, or is elastic and slightly sticky.
Rise until at least doubled. Quarter and roll out into pizzas on parchment paper, as thin as you can get it without tearing it. You can stack the 4 parchments up until used.
Let rest 15 min until ready to assemble.

Cook in a 500+* oven on a pre heated stone. You can slide the pie onto the stone with a piece of cardboard easily. The pie should cook in 5-8 minutes. Maybe faster depending on how hot you can get your oven!

I like to roast a head of garlic and macerate it in oil, them brush the edge of the crust with it. Makes a tasty last bite!
Last edited by Keggermeister on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 pm

It depends on what temperature you like to cook at and if you want thick or thin crust. I'm a thin crust guy and cook above 600 F so I need to hydrate to 65% or more. Regardless, my recipe is based off of Peter Reinhart's recipe from his book 'Bread Baker's Apprentice'. It is imperative to make the dough ahead of time to at least allow an overnight fermentation. It freezes very well though so I usually make enough for 4 - 8 pies, use what I want fresh and freeze the rest. :cheers2:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best Pizza Dough Ever Recipe
January 30, 2006 | 53 Comments

I can make a mean pizza, but it took me a while to learn how. Maybe I should rephrase that - I can make a mean pizza, but it took me a while to find the right teacher. For a long time I didn't really know where to look for guidance - I just knew I wanted pizza the way I'd enjoyed it in Rome and Naples.

I was smart enough to know early on, if you've got bad dough you are destined to have bad pizza. Figuring out the dough factor was not as easy as you might think. As I got going, my oven gobbled up the fruits of many deflated attempts - a little yeast here, a lot of yeast there, this flour, that flour, knead by hand, knead by mixer, high baking temps, lower baking temps, and on and on.

Then I was given a hint. A gift, really. My friends and I would visit a favorite tiny pizza place in San Francisco quite often. We would go to eat, but also to try to absorb some of the good pizza karma flowing from their single-shelf, Baker's Pride oven. We spent a lot of time there, not because we wanted to know their secrets really - but primarily because the food was so good. We would end up chatting for hours over thin-crusts and more thin-crusts. One could see the flour shipments come in, the cheese deliveries transpire, and the wine selections rotate through the seasons. All the while, my homespun pizzas weren't improving much. Its not that they were bad, it was more that the dough was tempermental and tasted so-so. I wanted a dough that was on the thin side, crunched a bit as you bit into it, with minimal cardboard factor. And I knew I was not interested in a chewy, bready, or deep-dish type crust.

One day in the aforementioned pizza shop, I noticed a copy of Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice on a bookshelf near the prep area. It must have been quite new at the time, and my curiousity was piqued. Sure enough, the book contained an interesting (and meticulous) description of how to make just the sort of pizza I was after. The dough Peter uses for his Napoletana pizza in this book is rooted in a delayed-fermentation method - different from the other techniques I had tried up to that point.

If you like to wait until the last minute to make pizza dough, you are out of luck here. The key is the overnight fermentation. You end up with a golden, beautiful crust with the perfect amount of crunch and subtle yeasty undertones. If you try this recipe and like it, Peter also went on to write an entire book about the quest for the perfect pizza, fittingly titled, American Pie. It's an great reference for those of you who really want to geek out on pizza.

There is a discussion group on the 101 bulletin boards focused on the Bread Baker's Apprentice if you have the book and want to jump in.

Give Peter's dough a try, and if you are interested in baking world exceptional breads, be sure to spend time with his book. He is also working on a new book and I hope I'll get to hear more about him if I see him in March.

I'm just going to leave you with the dough recipe. It's up to you to play around with the toppings. The best advice I can give you is to take it easy with the toppings (guys, I'm talking to you) - a little goes a long way here. My favorite is a simple pizza margherita with the bright red sauce from my book, a few torn up bocconcini cow's millk mozzerella balls, and a few pinches of salt on the front end before placing the pizza in the oven. When the pizza comes out of the oven, I give it a quick dusting of grated Parmesan, a tiny drizzle of artisan-quality virgin olive oil, and a bit of basil cut into a chiffonade.

As far as oven temperatures go - I have great results at 450 degrees WITH a pizza stone. Go buy a pizza stone immediately if you are serious about making great pizza at home. They are cheap and make a huge difference in your crust. Why not 500 or 550 degrees? I've tried higher temperature in the past, but my oven begins to quake and quiver at those temps, and the cornmeal that inevitable gets left on the pizza stone ends up smoking pretty badly.

This is the stripped-down, adapted version of Peter's Napoletana pizza dough recipe, if you want all his great side notes, tips, and back-history on the recipe, you are going to want to pick up the book - this (for example) is the meat of a recipe that spans six pages.
Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough Recipe

Heidi notes: Peter's recipe says the olive (or vegetable oil) is optional. I use it every time - always olive oil, not vegetable oil. I love the moisture and suppleness it adds to the dough, and it makes your hands soft too.

4 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled
1 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) olive oil (optional)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40°F)
Semolina flour OR cornmeal for dusting

1. Stir together the flour, salt, and instant yeast in a 4-quart bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer). With a large metal spoon, stir in the oil and the cold water until the flour is all absorbed (or mix on low speed with the paddle attachment), If you are mixing by hand, repeatedly dip one of your hands or the metal spoon into cold water and use it, much like a dough hook, to work the dough vigorously into a smooth mass while rotating the bowl in a circular motion with the other hand. Reverse the circular motion a few times to develop the gluten further. Do this for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and the ingredients are evenly distributed. If you are using an electric mixer, switch to the dough hook and mix on medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes, or as long as it takes to create a smooth, sticky dough. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom of the bowl. If the dough is too wet and doesn't come off the sides of the bowl, sprinkle in some more flour just until it clears the sides. If it clears the bottom of the bowl, dribble in a tea- spoon or two of cold water. The finished dough will be springy, elastic, and sticky, not just tacky, and register 50 to 55F.

2. Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough to the counter. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with baking parchment and misting the parchment with spray oil (or lightly oil the parchment). Using a metal dough scraper, cut the dough into 6 equal pieces (or larger if you are comfortable shaping large pizzas), You can dip the scraper into the water between cuts to keep the dough from sticking to it, Sprinkle flour over the dough. Make sure your hands are dry and then flour them. Lift each piece and gently round it into a ball. If the dough sticks to your hands, dip your hands into the flour again. Transfer the dough balls to the sheet pan, Mist the dough generously with spray oil and slip the pan into a food-grade plastic bag.

3. Put the pan into the refrigerator overnight to rest the dough, or keep for up to 3 days. (Note: If you want to save some of the dough for future baking, you can store the dough balls in a zippered freezer bag. Dip each dough ball into a bowl that has a few tablespoons of oil in it, rolling the dough in the oil, and then put each ball into a separate bag. You can place the bags into the freezer for up to 3 months. Transfer them to the refrigerator the day before you plan to make pizza.)

4. On the day you plan to make the pizza, remove the desired number of dough balls from the refrigerator 2 hours before making the pizza. Before letting the dough rest at room temperature for 2 hours, dust the counter with flour, and then mist the counter with spray oil. Place the dough balls on top of the floured counter and sprinkle them with flour; dust your hands with flour. Gently press the dough into flat disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle the dough with flour, mist it again with spray oil, and cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap or a food-grade plastic bag. Now let rest for 2 hours.

5. At least 45 minutes before making the pizza, place a baking stone either on the floor of the oven (for gas ovens), or on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven as hot as possible, up to 800F (most home ovens will go only to 500 to 550F, but some will go higher). If you do not have a baking stone, you can use the back of a sheet pan, but do not preheat the pan.

6. Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal. Make the pizzas one at a time. Dip your hands, including the backs of your hands and knuckles, in flour and lift I piece of dough by getting under it with a pastry scraper. Very gently lay the dough across your fists and carefully stretch it by bouncing the dough in a circular motion on your hands, carefully giving it a little stretch with each bounce. If it begins to stick to your hands, lay it down on the floured counter and reflour your hands, then continue shaping it. Once the dough has expanded outward, move to a full toss as shown on page 208. If you have trouble tossing the dough, or if the dough keeps springing back, let it rest for 5 to 20 minutes so the gluten can relax, and try again. You can also resort to using a rolling pin, though this isn't as effective as the toss method.

7. When the dough is stretched out to your satisfaction (about 9 to 12 inches in diameter for a 6-ounce piece of dough), lay it on the peel or pan, making sure there is enough semolina flour or cornmeal to allow it to slide. Lightly top it with sauce and then with your other top- pings, remembering that the best pizzas are topped with a less-is-more philosophy. The American "kitchen sink" approach is counterproductive, as it makes the crust more difficult to bake. A few, usually no more than 3 or 4 toppings, including sauce and cheese is sufficient.

8. Slide the topped pizza onto the stone (or bake directly on the sheet pan) and close the door. Wait 2 minutes, then take a peek. If it needs to be rotated 180 degrees for even baking, do so. The pizza should take about 5 to 8 minutes to bake. If the top gets done before the bottom, you will need to move the stone to a lower self before the next round. if the bottom crisps before the cheese caramelizes, then you will need to raise the stone for subsequent bakes.

9. Remove the pizza from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Wait 3 to 5 minutes before slicing and serving, to allow the cheese to set slightly.

Makes six 6-ounce pizza crusts.

from The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart (Ten Speed Press) - reprinted with permission

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Cornmeal is for chumps... Parchment is king!

I have eaten my fare share of burnt cornmeal while fanning the smoke detector.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Keggermeister wrote:Cornmeal is for chumps... Parchment is king!

I have eaten my fare share of burnt cornmeal while fanning the smoke detector.
Cornmeal rocks, but not as much as semolina. But... oh..... wait for it....... you need to do ALL pie cooks on charcoal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm

This is a good recipe for a Friday or Saturday night and you have the impulse to make pizza.

Rosemary's Classic Pizza Dough
Julia Child: The Way To Cook

For two 16-inch disks

The yeast mixture:
1 package dry-active yeast
1/2 tepid water (not over 110°F)
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Additions to the yeast mixture:
3/4 cup cold milk, plus more, if needed
2 tablespoons olive oil

The dry ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Mixing the dough. Whisk the yeast ingredients in a measure and let bubble up 5 minutes or so to proof. Measure the dry ingredients into the bowl of the food processor. A food processor is not necessary, mixing by hand will work fine. Blend the milk & egg mixture into the ready yeast mixture. Turn on the machine and process in the yeast, then the oil, and droplets more milk if needed, just until the dough masses on the blade of the processor, as shown in step 1. Mix the dough until uniform throughout.

The dough will be very soft. Let it rest 5 minutes and it will develop enough body to be processed 2 seconds more in the machine. Then turn it out onto your lightly floured work surface. Knead 50 strokes by hand, give a 2 minute rest, and knead 20 strokes more to make a soft, smooth dough.

Rising—about 1½ hours. Let the dough rise in a covered bowl until doubled in bulk. Turn it out onto your work surface, and it is ready to cut and form as your recipe directs.

*Ahead-of-time note: If you are not ready to bake, punch the dough down and set the covered bowl in a cooler place, where it will keep safely for an hour or more, You can chill or even freeze it, but then it must be brought to room temperature and start to rise again before you form and bake it.

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 pm

I would recommend good yeast and good flour. For yeast, I managed to get some great stuff from the European pantry a couple of years ago, and still have about a 1/4 cup left. It definitely doesn't work as well as it did, but I just use a little more.

Also, ditch the AP flour. Some Indians in my lab recommended Golden Temple brand available from superstore. You won't go back.

If you want chewy pizza dough, you have to make sure that you knead it longer than you would other doughs.

Any recipe will work, it just boils down to ingredients and technique.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Google bread bible pizza dough.

I mix 3x and baggie it, put it in athe fridge for 6ish hours.

Bake it as you like.

Sandy

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 am

A bit of a divergence from the initial purpose of this thread, but what does everyone do to get a nice thin crust without tearing? Perhaps it's my recipe, though I bet it's my technique/lack of skill. I'm going to try Keggermeister's recipe for this weekend's pizza.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am

Letting the dough develop gluten is key to tear reduction, have patience and make the dough with plenty of time to rise. At the very least 2-3 hours. Best case is to rise it until at least doubled. If there is still time left and it is ready, punch it down and rise it a second time. More rise=more flavor. Use a rolling pin to roll it out.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User

Post by benwedge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Keggermeister wrote:Letting the dough develop gluten is key to tear reduction, have patience and make the dough with plenty of time to rise. At the very least 2-3 hours. Best case is to rise it until at least doubled. If there is still time left and it is ready, punch it down and rise it a second time. More rise=more flavor. Use a rolling pin to roll it out.
Great! I think I've been focusing too much on the quicker recipes because I always forget to make it the night before and by the time I get home from work I'm not going to wait 3+ hours for food. I'll give your tips & recipe a try tomorrow.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the ideas guys :cheers2: . Nash, I'll be trying yours first I believe... I've found a couple other recipes that I really like from that blog. I like the overnight business too, I've seen how stretchy dough can get
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Keggermeister wrote: Use a rolling pin to roll it out.
Rolling pin for pizza dough is verbotten for me.
I strech it out to form my pie. Gets pretty thin if I want it to without tearing.
Here's a pic of a pie ready to go on the stone http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ ... ght002.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just made up dough for 2 pies I will be making at a party at my sisters place on Saturday night.

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:36 am

Tony L wrote:
Keggermeister wrote: Use a rolling pin to roll it out.
Rolling pin for pizza dough is verbotten for me.
I strech it out to form my pie. Gets pretty thin if I want it to without tearing.
Here's a pic of a pie ready to go on the stone http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/ ... ght002.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just made up dough for 2 pies I will be making at a party at my sisters place on Saturday night.
Don't get me wrong. I can and sometimes do stretch it over the backs of my hands, I have done a little throwing too.
I said to use the pin because not everybody has stretched dough before. Using a pin is way easier.

Nice looking pie Tony!

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 am

Stretching without tearing is tough so I'm going to try the rolling pin method. Whatever you do, let it rise in the pan after stretching/rolling/spreading to let it recover before baking.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User

Post by benwedge » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 am

I tried Keggermeister's recipe this weekend and it turned out quite well. I think I'm going to stick with that and work on my technique for now. The tips on here have definitely been handy.

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:30 pm

KMcK wrote:Stretching without tearing is tough .
Not really. My dough is pretty relaxed when I make it. I can streach it pretty thin if I want to.
I made a couple of pies last night at my buddys place for supper, using dough I made the night before that fermented
in the fridge just about 24 hours. Fantastic pizza.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm relaxed but my dough isn't. I need a new recipe.
McKeggerator:

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 pm

I can give you mine.

For two pies I use
1 oz high gluten flour
15 oz all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp pizza yeast
2 tsp kosher salt
9.8 oz water at 120f
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Mix all liquids and add to half of the flour mix. Add the salt to the second flour mix.
Let the first mix hydrate while mixing ( I use a kitchen aid mixer ) Add the rest of the flour mix a little at a time until all used.
Knead well until dough has good texture. Coat with olive oil and refigerate over night. Take out 2 hours before using.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Is pizza yeast from Wyeast or White Labs?
McKeggerator:

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

HEY!! Has anyone ever tried using Brewers Yeast in Bread or Pizza dough... I have quite a few Coopers and Morgan's dry yeast packs lying around from when I was extract brewing from their kits. I never really liked the yeast profile of Coopers or Morgans and always sprung for the liquid Wyeast American Ale 1056... I"ll try it over the holidays... glad I didn't throw it out now!! :spilly:

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Got to make more dough for my New Years celebrations.

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Post by Graham.C » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm

erslar00 wrote:HEY!! Has anyone ever tried using Brewers Yeast in Bread or Pizza dough... I have quite a few Coopers and Morgan's dry yeast packs lying around from when I was extract brewing from their kits. I never really liked the yeast profile of Coopers or Morgans and always sprung for the liquid Wyeast American Ale 1056... I"ll try it over the holidays... glad I didn't throw it out now!! :spilly:
Shawn Paxon, the homebrewed chef, talks about this in his last podcast (The holiday episode found here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/ ... rewed-Chef" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Basically he is trying to figure out what makes a good bread yeast and use his knowledge of beer yeast to fill in the gap. It sounds like he is trying to put together a whole episode on beer and bread maybe with some interviews with the guys at White Labs, but for now its limited to just some simple Q&A and an acknowledgment that he doesn't really know what works best at this point.

I have tried some wine yeasts, with success, but so far haven't tried any beer yeasts. The sourdough culture I started from a melomel "slurry" was great until I forgot to put it in the fridge when I went on vacation.
-Graham

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Re: The Official What's Cooking Thread [Food Porn]

Post by sleepyjamie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Does anyone have a good pizza doe recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

Re: The Official What's Cooking Thread [Food Porn]

Post by dexter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm

You want a quick one or one that dames a day to proof?

Return to “Food Discussion”