Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

A spot to talk food
Post Reply
HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Location: Annapolis Valley Somerset

Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by HPhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 am

Wow this thing is heavy. I have proven that it will fit in a Toyota Echo, with a little grunt work. Got it home. Fired it up. Cooked a lot of shit, wow temps are super stable.
Can't wait to really get the hang of this. It is replacing all 3 of the grills in the last photo. Plus what I cooked for supper.
Love this thing.
Kudos to Nash for convincing me it was worth it, also appreciate the work you did on swaying the wife's vote there too. :grilling: :bbq: :smoker:

Shit can't seem to get my photos to upload, connection drops out.
Help anybody?
Last edited by HPhunter on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice nice, kudos getting that beast in the Echo :lol:

Now let's see some pics or it likely didn't happen! :lol:

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by canuck » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Nice!!! I really really really want one of these!!

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6937
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Nice buy..I picked one up a few months ago and love it. I used it pretty much every day, and sometimes 2 times a day!
Custom BIAB's, tap handles, coasters & more!- http://www.mashedin.beer/

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Location: Annapolis Valley Somerset

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by HPhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Here are the pics!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Fuck. Those would look awesome if they were big enough to see :headbang:

User avatar
Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm
Name: Graham Clark
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by Graham.C » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 am

NASH wrote:Fuck. Those would look awesome if they were big enough to see :headbang:
:lol: :lol: :lol: agreed.
-Graham

gyorke
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Name: Gordon Yorke
Location: Fall River

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by gyorke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I picked up one of these last week and tried my first low and slow on Saturday. I had a hard time keeping the temperature dialed in. I am sure most of the problems can be calked up to inexperience but anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13759
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by mr x » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Was the problem fire going out or running away? What kind of temp ranges were you getting?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Location: Annapolis Valley Somerset

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by HPhunter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Took me awhile to catch on to the settings needed to get the temps I wanted. It takes longer to stabilize than you are probably giving it. I love mine? I need a new external thermo though it sucks to open it and check temps. Keep cooking it will get better.
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm

HPhunter wrote: I need a new external thermo though it sucks to open it and check temps.
Troubles with the one that came in it? They probably work decent if you calibrate them :cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6937
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

NASH wrote:
HPhunter wrote: I need a new external thermo though it sucks to open it and check temps.
Troubles with the one that came in it? They probably work decent if you calibrate them :cheers2:
I think he just means a thermometer to monitor the internal temp of the food
Custom BIAB's, tap handles, coasters & more!- http://www.mashedin.beer/

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Jimmy wrote:
NASH wrote:
HPhunter wrote: I need a new external thermo though it sucks to open it and check temps.
Troubles with the one that came in it? They probably work decent if you calibrate them :cheers2:
I think he just means a thermometer to monitor the internal temp of the food
Right, must be. Grab a cheapy wireless remote at Walmart to hold you over, they work decent enough :cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6937
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 pm

I picked this one up from Costco and have been happy with it so far

thermometer.jpg


http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... =C&topnav=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Custom BIAB's, tap handles, coasters & more!- http://www.mashedin.beer/

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:00 pm

NASH wrote:Right, must be. Grab a cheapy wireless remote at Walmart to hold you over, they work decent enough :cheers2:
Canadian Tire has Maverick ET-71Ds on sale this week for $20. I picked one up on Saturday. Works pretty well and the probe is seems to be pretty sturdy.

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

jeffsmith wrote:
NASH wrote:Right, must be. Grab a cheapy wireless remote at Walmart to hold you over, they work decent enough :cheers2:
Canadian Tire has Maverick ET-71Ds on sale this week for $20. I picked one up on Saturday. Works pretty well and the probe is seems to be pretty sturdy.
I burned through three of those before switching to the Walmart cheapies :lol: It was mostly probe wire melting problems though, cheap thermocouple wires :cheers2:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:15 pm

NASH wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:
NASH wrote:Right, must be. Grab a cheapy wireless remote at Walmart to hold you over, they work decent enough :cheers2:
Canadian Tire has Maverick ET-71Ds on sale this week for $20. I picked one up on Saturday. Works pretty well and the probe is seems to be pretty sturdy.
I burned through three of those before switching to the Walmart cheapies :lol: It was mostly probe wire melting problems though, cheap thermocouple wires :cheers2:
Good to know. At $20 not a huge loss if it goes though.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by canuck » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

NASH wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:
NASH wrote:Right, must be. Grab a cheapy wireless remote at Walmart to hold you over, they work decent enough :cheers2:
Canadian Tire has Maverick ET-71Ds on sale this week for $20. I picked one up on Saturday. Works pretty well and the probe is seems to be pretty sturdy.
I burned through three of those before switching to the Walmart cheapies :lol: It was mostly probe wire melting problems though, cheap thermocouple wires :cheers2:
My Maverick ET-732 just arrived today for my new smoker. For $70, I certainly hope that it lasts for awhile. :?

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Location: Annapolis Valley Somerset

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by HPhunter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Yuuuuup was definitely talking about needing a probe for the meat. I think I might make up a custom one with some Industrial stuff I might find at.... "HomeHardware"
I forgot to mention also the best thing to do with your Kamado is to post wee little pictures of the scrumptous food your cooking, so that the seeing impaired, overly critical, peanut gallery food critics can complain about the size of your pics!!!
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 pm

HPhunter wrote:Yuuuuup was definitely talking about needing a probe for the meat. I think I might make up a custom one with some Industrial stuff I might find at.... "HomeHardware"
I forgot to mention also the best thing to do with your Kamado is to post wee little pictures of the scrumptous food your cooking, so that the seeing impaired, overly critical, peanut gallery food critics can complain about the size of your pics!!!
You'll blow those fucking pictures up into man-sized portions or be banned from cooking :rocky: :lol:

User avatar
NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Posts: 4081
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
Name: Nash
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Well what do you know, not much wonder you didn't want us to see them. Your photography really sucks man - focus brother, focus! :lol: :lol: :lol:
th_004.jpg
th_005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4495
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Contact:

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 am

canuck wrote: My Maverick ET-732 just arrived today for my new smoker. For $70, I certainly hope that it lasts for awhile. :?
Been using my Maverick ET-732 in my WSM for over a year now - no issues, works great with good range on the receiver. Great for getting some sleep on those overnight cooks.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

gyorke
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Name: Gordon Yorke
Location: Fall River

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by gyorke » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 am

mr x wrote:Was the problem fire going out or running away? What kind of temp ranges were you getting?
The charcoal stayed lit but the temps kept running between 198 and 275 over the 5 hour cook, stabilizing for only short periods of time maybe 30 mins at most. I started with the recommended settings and made only small adjustments (except opening it up when the temp got really low).

More practice is in order I think.

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm
Location: Annapolis Valley Somerset

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by HPhunter » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 am

Its like a new girlfriend, exciting as hell, but will take some time to get the rhythm.
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5041
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: New Kamado from Costco

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am

HPhunter wrote:Its like a new girlfriend, exciting as hell, but will take some time to get the rhythm.
More practice is in order I think.

Sandy

Post Reply

Return to “Food Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests