Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

A spot to talk food
User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm

blacktip wrote:Has anyone replaced their thermometer yet? I fired up the vision Friday night just to clean up the insides a bit, and when I went to light the chimney on Saturday morning, the thermometer was very dead. Are there decent upgrades out there? It seems that a lot of people just ignore the dome thermometer and go for a Maverick.
Vision sent me a replacement because the first one had a bad seal and kept fogging up. I tend not to use it much though and use my maverick for the most part. The only time I do rely on it is when I'm doing cooks that don't need to be as dialled in temp wise e.g. burgers.

User avatar
blacktip
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:12 pm
Name: Scott
Location: Bedford

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by blacktip » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 pm

dexter wrote:
blacktip wrote:Has anyone replaced their thermometer yet? I fired up the vision Friday night just to clean up the insides a bit, and when I went to light the chimney on Saturday morning, the thermometer was very dead. Are there decent upgrades out there? It seems that a lot of people just ignore the dome thermometer and go for a Maverick.
Have you tried recalibrating it with boiling water?
This isn't a calibration issue, this is a "needle isn't attached to anything and points straight down, or straight up with the lid open" issue :(
Automata Brew Works - https://twitter.com/automata_bw

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2981
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Name: Liam

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:19 pm

But have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?? (edit - that was a bad joke)

I don't have one of these but I think any short (3-4 inch) stemmed thermo would work fine.
Last edited by CorneliusAlphonse on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conditioning: og 1.120 american barleywine w/ brett, funky belgian cider, BCS Flanders Red, Orval clone, simple lambic catastrophe
Kegged: barrel barleywine

naes100
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by naes100 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:40 pm

GAM wrote:
naes100 wrote:how many bricks do you generally use - 4?
I use 2 -4 depending on what the cook is. I sometimes lay them on the fire box and some times on the grate.

They can also stand and reise the grate.

S
Thanks a lot - last question - for pizza, 2 or 4?

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 pm

I have a 16" Vision. and don't do pizza.

S

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4520
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:26 pm

naes100 wrote:
GAM wrote:
naes100 wrote:how many bricks do you generally use - 4?
I use 2 -4 depending on what the cook is. I sometimes lay them on the fire box and some times on the grate.

They can also stand and reise the grate.

S
Thanks a lot - last question - for pizza, 2 or 4?
I use my kamado joe heat deflector under my pizza stone. I would guess that you would want to have all of your pizza stone protected from the direct heat by the fire bricks or at least the main portion.

I'd try a couple of bricks on the lower grate with your pizza stone on the top grate and see how you like it. Have fun with it.
IMG_20150704_180205.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by HoweFox » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:18 pm

AllanMar wrote:I see Costco is now selling these ($649). I can't recall if it was the 22" or the 24", im thinking it was 24".
http://pitboss-grills.com/grills/kamado24.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where at? I was at Costco in Bayer's Lake and didn't see them.

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 7
Award Winner 7
Posts: 1060
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by Tim Gregory » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 pm

I saw them at Dartmouth Crossing on Sunday, but there were only a few.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:29 pm

The button on the top of my upper grill vent broke. A direct replacement (the same thing) is around $55. I am concerned that I'll be doing the same thing again and again.

What options would be good to make a handle? Wood is my first thought but it may be too hot and metal may be untouchable.

I tried to put this in off topic but It will not let me in.

S

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:21 pm

GAM wrote:The button on the top of my upper grill vent broke. A direct replacement (the same thing) is around $55. I am concerned that I'll be doing the same thing again and again.

What options would be good to make a handle? Wood is my first thought but it may be too hot and metal may be untouchable.

I tried to put this in off topic but It will not let me in.

S
Did you get in touch with Vision about it? That happened to mine and they sent me a new top vent at no cost.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I did and its $35 + $15 for shipping.

S

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 pm

GAM wrote:I did and its $35 + $15 for shipping.

S
Wow, that sucks. They've replaced a number of parts for me for free: top vent, lower vent gasket, thermometer, and cast iron charcoal grate. Mind you this was a year or more ago.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6970
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm

And this is why I returned mine to Costco. Chips of ceramic were popping out of the inside of the grill, all over the food, and it was leaving big pits behind where the ceramic popped out. I contacted Vision about their warranty, and they basically told me it's no big deal...keep using it and if it completely falls apart, then contact them.

After that, I had no faith in the warranty being honored (plus, I don't like eating cermaic). Took it back to Costco for a full refund.
Custom BIAB's, tap handles, coasters & more!- http://www.mashedin.beer/

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4520
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:52 pm

I've got a new firebowl on the way - no issues at all, great customer service as far as I can tell.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:00 pm

I love the grill and would buy a new and inproved vent but not hte same thing.

S

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:35 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:I've got a new firebowl on the way - no issues at all, great customer service as far as I can tell.
Did yours completely break? Mine has the crack where the split in the back is but hasn't progressed beyond that.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4520
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

jeffsmith wrote:
LeafMan66_67 wrote:I've got a new firebowl on the way - no issues at all, great customer service as far as I can tell.
Did yours completely break? Mine has the crack where the split in the back is but hasn't progressed beyond that.
Yeah - I got a second crack, 180 degrees away from the factory expansion joint. Noticed it last weekend and within days had a new piece shipped.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:
LeafMan66_67 wrote:I've got a new firebowl on the way - no issues at all, great customer service as far as I can tell.
Did yours completely break? Mine has the crack where the split in the back is but hasn't progressed beyond that.
Yeah - I got a second crack, 180 degrees away from the factory expansion joint. Noticed it last weekend and within days had a new piece shipped.
Will keep an eye out for that.

naes100
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by naes100 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:35 pm

WOW!! These things are awesome, have smoked ribs and did pizza . . . really impressed!

My gasket is showing signs of wear as I bought 2nd hand . . . where have you folks purchased replacements?

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4520
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 am

Someone else organized them, about one year ago, and two years ago. Have a look through group buys in that range (I think)
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:33 am

I have some gasket left. What is the diameter of your Q?

S

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3578
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by RubberToe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 pm

GAM wrote:I love the grill and would buy a new and inproved vent but not hte same thing.

S
Sandy, I think they sell a cast iron top vent for these things now.



Sent from the brew timer.
Electric Brewery Build
Sanke Keg Solera Project
Twitter | Flickr Photos (beer and peppers)
On tap at RubberToe's:
2016 BBC Brew
In the fermenter:
Lambic, which I may just keg

naes100
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by naes100 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey Sandy, I have an 18" Vision . . . So would need appx 145" of gasket (72" round, top and bottom)

Would you be interested in selling some?

Thanks,

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5141
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by GAM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:16 pm

I'm out of town till Thurs. PM me then.

S

RobD
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Vision Kamado Owners Thread - Available @ Costco

Post by RobD » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:56 am

FYI. According to a post on RedFlagDeals, Costco's Pit Boss Kamado will be on clearance as of August 18th. New price: $499.97

There were a bunch of them at Bayers Lake when I was in a couple weeks ago. No idea of stock levels now.

Here's the thread I found it at: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-e ... st23216735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HoweFox wrote:
AllanMar wrote:I see Costco is now selling these ($649). I can't recall if it was the 22" or the 24", im thinking it was 24".
http://pitboss-grills.com/grills/kamado24.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where at? I was at Costco in Bayer's Lake and didn't see them.

Post Reply

Return to “Food Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest