The espresso thread

A spot to talk food
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

The espresso thread

Post by Jimmy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25 am

Anyone know of a local source for an espresso tamper? I'm looking for a 50mm one :cheers2:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Espresso Tamper

Post by NASH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

Jimmy wrote:Anyone know of a local source for an espresso tamper? I'm looking for a 50mm one :cheers2:
Not sure if you'll find one that size locally but try Cucina Moderna, they may only stock 58mm though. Also try 'Espresso Yourself Halifax', local espresso machine repair and sales out by the rotary: http://www.facebook.com/groups/110089192416421/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If not order one online. I have bought a few from ebay seller 'Precision Tamper Maker' (maybe no spaces). :cheers2:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 pm

If you have a really hard time, let me know. Might have some options.

Sent from my Nexus S
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:10 pm

NASH wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Anyone know of a local source for an espresso tamper? I'm looking for a 50mm one :cheers2:
Not sure if you'll find one that size locally but try Cucina Moderna, they may only stock 58mm though. Also try 'Espresso Yourself Halifax', local espresso machine repair and sales out by the rotary: http://www.facebook.com/groups/110089192416421/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If not order one online. I have bought a few from ebay seller 'Precision Tamper Maker' (maybe no spaces). :cheers2:
No luck with Cucina Moderna, they've only got the 58mm like you thought. I'll try espresso yourself halifax on Monday to see if they have anything..Thanks!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Jimmy wrote:
NASH wrote:
No luck with Cucina Moderna, they've only got the 58mm like you thought. I'll try espresso yourself halifax on Monday to see if they have anything..Thanks!
So they lied to me when I called in yesterday. I was at Petes in Sunnyside so I decided to pop in Cucina Moderna, and sure enough they had not one, but TWO tampers that were 49 & 50mm..$8.99 later I am a happy man!

Thanks x & :NASH:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Good good. Did you buy an espresso machine?

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:39 pm

NASH wrote:Good good. Did you buy an espresso machine?
I've had a cheapo one for about 2 years now, but haven't been using it much...A couple weeks ago I started making my drinks at home instead of buying them at Starbucks.

http://www.amazon.com/XP1500-Coffee-Esp ... B0009YDHPC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the machine I use. Nothing fancy, but it does the trick for what I'm looking for right now. I would like something that could steam milk and do espresso at the same time though..I have to add water to do espresso, make it, then add water to steam.

Any suggestions on a machine that isn't crazy expensive and does a decent job?

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Fuck those things are awful :lol: And so is Starbucks :lol: That said I originally started on a not too dis-similar steam pressure machine.

Not sure what you are drinking but try Two if By Sea Cafe, the Smiling Goat and Stevorenos when you have the chance.

There's no such thing as a good espresso machine that's cheap but then I suppose that depends on your definition of cheap. One issue is you cannot make good espresso no matter how good the machine is without a good grinder and they aren't cheap either, you'll need to spend around $250 - 300 minimum to get into a half decent grind for espresso based drinks. What you make now are faux espresso based drinks.

Great little machine here, you won't find a new machine any cheaper that will last and will pull consistently decent shots unless you go used:
http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Lelit_PL41E ... mv2-b8.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best grinders on the cheap are here:
http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Lelit_PL43_ ... l-pl43.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here:
http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Baratza_Vir ... virpre.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:50 pm

i had a friend once who made coffee using instant with hot tap water. i lie somewhere on the spectrum between him and nash, apparently :D
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

NASH wrote:Fuck those things are awful :lol: And so is Starbucks :lol: That said I originally started on a not too dis-similar steam pressure machine.

Not sure what you are drinking but try Two if By Sea Cafe, the Smiling Goat and Stevorenos when you have the chance.

There's no such thing as a good espresso machine that's cheap but then I suppose that depends on your definition of cheap. One issue is you cannot make good espresso no matter how good the machine is without a good grinder and they aren't cheap either, you'll need to spend around $250 - 300 minimum to get into a half decent grind for espresso based drinks. What you make now are faux espresso based drinks.
:lol: I knew that was coming!

To be honest, I'm a fan of Starbucks lattes but mostly because it's close to home. I've tried Stevorenos but haven't tried the other two spots..it was good, but didn't blow me away.

I'm sure if it's straight up espresso one can probably notice a difference, but I'm drinking flavored lattes that most likely hide the underwhelming espresso :lol:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Oh..

And I wouldn't mind buying a machine like that in your link, it's the $2000 espresso machines that I'm not feelin!

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Jimmy wrote:
:lol: I knew that was coming!

To be honest, I'm a fan of Starbucks lattes but mostly because it's close to home. I've tried Stevorenos but haven't tried the other two spots..it was good, but didn't blow me away.

I'm sure if it's straight up espresso one can probably notice a difference, but I'm drinking flavored lattes that most likely hide the underwhelming espresso :limp wrist: :lol:
Fuck me. :lol: :barf2:

The quality wreaks through even with milk drinks, espresso-based drinks include lattes and cappuccinos along with a bunch of others. Just think, soon enough you'll grow a palate and wonder wtf you were ever doing drinking 'flavoured' espresso drinks :lol: :lol: Do you use flavourings in your beer?

Seriously though, once you are exposed to and develop a taste for quality lattes or cappuccinos the stuff at Starbucks is just gawd-awful. A lot of it is operator error and a lot of it is the bean quality, freshness and roast :cheers2:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Jimmy wrote:Oh..

And I wouldn't mind buying a machine like that in your link, it's the $2000 espresso machines that I'm not feelin!
I started with a beast like you currently have then finally bit the bullet and bought a machine similar to the Lelit. The driving force behind it was the $4 I was spending every day at the espresso shop next door. After about 18 months I had to upgrade to a real machine which is the one in my kitchen now. The little Lelit works great but it'll take you quite a while to bang out 4 lattes when friends are over, and you need to learn to temperature surf on them since they aren't stable enough to pull good back to back shots, they can't steam and pull shots at the same time either. Anyhow, you should keep your eyes peeled and grab up a similar machine or better, you'll love it compared to the steam-driven machine you have now :cheers2:

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 pm

NASH wrote: ...
Do you use flavourings in your beer?
Ya, Jimmy, like some sort of Cascade Hop Oil?
:shitstorm:

One love,
sarcastic chalmers

Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Nick Baxter

Post by Maritimer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm

don't know if you found one, but Java Blend on North street sells them.
Beer.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Espresso from idrinkcoffee.com

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on what espresso to buy from idrinkcoffee.com? I'm using an aeropress and plan on using the "espresso" for lattes. Any particular espresso on the website recommended?

Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Espresso from idrinkcoffee.com

Post by Maritimer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Have you tried Java Blend Coffee? I've used it for years in stovetop and electric espresso. "Northender" blend is a great dark roast.
Beer.

Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul

Post by Dirt Chicken » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Maritimer wrote:Have you tried Java Blend Coffee? I've used it for years in stovetop and electric espresso. "Northender" blend is a great dark roast.
yeah man!! i like how making coffee does'nt have to contribute waste to the landfill. the peaberry roasts are awesome when they have them. i use a stovetop italian espresso perculator and its awesome. i would never consider those plastic cartrage type coffee makers, sooo wastefull

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

I've been using the Java Blend K2 espresso for the past couple weeks - just looking for something different to try.

Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul

Post by Dirt Chicken » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Jimmy wrote:I've been using the Java Blend K2 espresso for the past couple weeks - just looking for something different to try.
Talk to Jim and see what his best peaberry beans he has. the beans are smaller, but when treated as espresso amazing flavour :)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm

With all the great beans available locally i think you're crazy to be ordering it online. There's other good stuff from Jim at Java Blend, try the Guji - it's wicked.

Give recently opened Anchored Coffee a try, excellent stuff, you can buy it at any of the TIBS locations. I'm currently on their "Guzman Estates" blend, it's excellent.

http://www.facebook.com/AnchoredCoffee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grab 49th Parallel stuff at Steveorenos, the "Epic Espresso" blend is excellent. They also carry others I believe, as well as Smiling Goat :cheers2:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I was mostly looking to pick up a few accessories, and figured I'd throw some espresso on the order to make the shipping more worthwhile. I will definitely take a look at some of the other options that are available locally.

With that being said, is a true espresso roast not necessary to make espresso? I'm a newb at this stuff..

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Jimmy wrote:I was mostly looking to pick up a few accessories, and figured I'd throw some espresso on the order to make the shipping more worthwhile. I will definitely take a look at some of the other options that are available locally.

With that being said, is a true espresso roast not necessary to make espresso? I'm a newb at this stuff..
You could make it with any roast as long as you have the right grind. I'm not too well versed on the espresso side of coffee so i can't tell you which roasts/beans will give you a good espresso - personally I'd try any of them
Conditioning:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Interesting - so why do they specify espresso roast on certain beans? That's not meant to be a sarcastic comment either..:lol:

Edit: I do understand that espresso beans are just the roast, but why not specify other dark roasts as espresso if they qualify as such?

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 pm

I am going to speculate that it is just a darkness of roast. So a French roast is still a French roast regardless if it is roasted by an Englishman in Canada. And am espresso roast is still an espresso roast even if you grind it coarse and use it in your French press. Just speculation though, correct me if I am wrong! :cheers:
Conditioning:

Return to “Food Discussion”