Tempting, pretty decent price

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

spickup
Verified User
Verified User

Re: The espresso thread

Post by spickup » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:53 am

I just bought one of the stove top espresso pots. Any recommendations of the type of coffee to use in it and where to get it? Never used one before.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:01 am

spickup wrote:I just bought one of the stove top espresso pots. Any recommendations of the type of coffee to use in it and where to get it? Never used one before.
Any medium or dark roast, but preferably some sort of espresso blend, from Java Blend is a good starting point. I'd recommend the Guji or the 38 Espresso. I assume you've seen this guide?
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:19 pm

gm- wrote:Tempting, pretty decent price
Its not a bad machine and really to get a machine that is much better you are going to go up to the 500+ range which i am just not willing to do at this point.

spickup
Verified User
Verified User

Post by spickup » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:58 pm

I hadn't seen that guide, so thanks Ben. Picked up some Java blend 38 today.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

NASH wrote:What is it? I do minor repairs. Other than that, call Gerald at Coffeetech Services 902-802-3018. He does pretty much all local espresso machine service and repair. Good guy. Good service.

Transmitted from the Hop-phone.
Found myself a reasonable deal on a La Pavoni Pro. Arrived today and discovered a cracked sight glass that's leaking, so I guess I'll be giving Gerald a call.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 am

BobbyOK wrote:
NASH wrote:What is it? I do minor repairs. Other than that, call Gerald at Coffeetech Services 902-802-3018. He does pretty much all local espresso machine service and repair. Good guy. Good service.

Transmitted from the Hop-phone.
Found myself a reasonable deal on a La Pavoni Pro. Arrived today and discovered a cracked sight glass that's leaking, so I guess I'll be giving Gerald a call.
Nice! Except, not. :x

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Nice find! I have one as well. They pull a great shot. They are a bit picky with their grind and will need regular grind adjustments between different beans. Even the same bean, out of a new bag!
I always clean mine periodically with citric acid to keep it from scaling.
Be sure to purge the steam wand after steaming milk as it will accumulate and dry inside quickly reducing flow.
You can gee parts at orphan espresso, they are great.
Make sure your kids know that it gets volcano hot on the exterior!
Look up the Fellini stroke, it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:31 pm

It definitely is in need of a good cleaning. Want to get the sight glass fixed first so I can check on any other leaks. Would you suggest citric acid for a first time descaling? Boiler looks reasonably good but I can see a few spots. Ended up being an older model than I expected (86) but at least one site tells me those were the most well built before they started adding more plastic to them.

What's the portafilter size on yours? I was told 49 mm but it's 51 based on my measurement. The 51 was supposed to be only the Millenium editions, I thought. Outside diameter is 58, versus 61 for the newer ones, so that seems right. Apparently Orphan has a heat sink to prevent some of the overheating issues, but I think they've only got it for the 49 mm portafilter group. Fortunately I'll be able to keep it set back on the counter to help keep the kids away.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm

BobbyOK wrote:It definitely is in need of a good cleaning. Want to get the sight glass fixed first so I can check on any other leaks. Would you suggest citric acid for a first time descaling? Boiler looks reasonably good but I can see a few spots. Ended up being an older model than I expected (86) but at least one site tells me those were the most well built before they started adding more plastic to them.

What's the portafilter size on yours? I was told 49 mm but it's 51 based on my measurement. The 51 was supposed to be only the Millenium editions, I thought. Outside diameter is 58, versus 61 for the newer ones, so that seems right. Apparently Orphan has a heat sink to prevent some of the overheating issues, but I think they've only got it for the 49 mm portafilter group. Fortunately I'll be able to keep it set back on the counter to help keep the kids away.
Yeah plow the acid through it. I use phosphoric from the brewery to descale mine :banana:

The heatsinks work great on those, maybe you'll luck out and your measurement is wrong?

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm

A friend is selling his Bezzera lever espresso machine.

It's a Strega Lever in great shape, 2 years old, he's asking $1500 for it. Almost a $1000 less than new after tax.

http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Bezzera_Str ... eg-b15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone's interested let me know.

Not his but gives an idea of the size of the beast....
maxresdefault.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:10 pm

NASH wrote:
BobbyOK wrote:It definitely is in need of a good cleaning. Want to get the sight glass fixed first so I can check on any other leaks. Would you suggest citric acid for a first time descaling? Boiler looks reasonably good but I can see a few spots. Ended up being an older model than I expected (86) but at least one site tells me those were the most well built before they started adding more plastic to them.

Yeah plow the acid through it. I use phosphoric from the brewery to descale mine :banana:

The heatsinks work great on those, maybe you'll luck out and your measurement is wrong?
I wouldn't be surprised. Unless they replaces the entire group head at soem point with a newer one, but everything else matches with the older models that the heat sink is supposed to be made for. Could also be that Andrew said the wrong sizes. ;-)

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 pm

NASH wrote:A friend is selling his Bezzera lever espresso machine.

It's a Strega Lever in great shape, 2 years old, he's asking $1500 for it. Almost a $1000 less than new after tax.

http://www.idrinkcoffee.com/Bezzera_Str ... eg-b15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not keeping it for the shop? I thought about that one but it's way too big for my space. It was his Olympia that inspired me to go for a lever machine.

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Mine is a 1974, 49mm portafilter. If it came with a tamper, measure that and it should tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:14 pm

BobbyOK wrote:

Not keeping it for the shop? I thought about that one but it's way too big for my space. It was his Olympia that inspired me to go for a lever machine.
No. The new brewery is tight and compact, built for efficiency. We need a lot smaller machine in there. But then if we do we might be stoned on espresso all day, so we may not bother! :banana:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:00 am

maxresdefault.jpg
Wish I had the money for that bad boy!

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner

Post by NASH » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09 am

Yeah yah do.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Any suggestions on a cheap grinder that I could use for both french press and stovetop espresso?

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 pm

gm- wrote:Any suggestions on a cheap grinder that I could use for both french press and stovetop espresso?
The Bodum Bistro is about as cheap as you can go for consistent results. It routinely goes for $150 on Amazon but if you're patient and don't mind a bright green kitchen appliance the green one will often go in for $110 (and occasionally lower).

This may still not be what you'd call "cheap" but I have been through a few sub-$100 grinders and they just don't compare in grind quality and especially consistency except the manual (hand crank) ones. And I'm never going back there again.

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

You can get the Bodum Bistro on Shop.ca for $119, and you can get 15% back if you go through Ebates.ca

http://www.shop.ca/c/bodum-10903-01-bis ... 7-23373190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:05 pm

I like my hand crank. Hario mini mill slim here
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 am

Was looking at the Hario ceramic ones, but if the sub $100 ones are not worth it I just might wait a bit.

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Not mine, but a fine deal! These are pretty well built.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-coffee-maker-esp ... nFlag=true

Reneka Techno for sale. It's been home installed and i'm the second owner.

The machine has two filter baskets and two portafilters (one modified to be bottomless), and a back flush disk. Also comes with two brand new group gaskets from Reneka.

The machine functions very well, the ECO mode is absolutely fantastic. It holds the machine at a cooler temperature (then operating) which makes your startup time very quick. 240V 20Amp model. Also comes with a really beautiful tamper.

Rotary pump;
Plumbed in water supply, and drain;
Can be left on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
Electronic "brainbox" for temperature control and dosing;
Two separate boilers for brew water, and steaming;
Temperatures of both boilers can be programmed independently;
Very easy to "surf" with better than 1 degree precision;
Very stable temperature during brewing;
Looks absolutely smashing

Some great info:

http://www.wholelattelove.com/buyinggui ... guideID=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://home.planet.nl/~rjeroenv/brewing ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$700, Originally $3000, Still sold by Reneka Canada for in the $4000 dollar range.

Any questions feel free to ask!

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Another one for sale on Kijiji:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industr ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a good price if it works.

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm seriously considering this one: http://www.wholelattelove.com/products/ ... so-machine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've read pretty much every review out there, called Whole Latte Love and talked to them and now it's just finding the cash. Sucks that the dollar is so weak and my bank account is so empty. I want the super automated for time, I have very little of it in the morning and I spend about 20 minutes every morning crafting my days worth of espresso, iced lattes and lattes and I'd love to push a button. I used one every day in Germany last week and man, it was good!

I know the purists are anti-super automated, but I feel by going to an intermediate-high level super-automated I'm still getting my money's worth.

Anyone here have a super-automated machine?

So if someone wants to sponsor me for someth anything, running laps, signing songs, or anything you'll pay me for, just let me know!

Return to “Food Discussion”