Thai Chicken Curry

A spot to talk food
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Thai Chicken Curry

Post by Jimmy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Anyone have a good recipe for Thai Chicken Curry? Ever since having it at Cha Baa Thai I've been addicted to it. I've picked up a few different Thai curries from the grocery store, but haven't been able to get the flavor that it had at the restaurant.

I really don't want to make the curry paste from scratch, so a local source for a good paste would be awesome...or maybe it's just that I'm doing it wrong :lol:

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Re: Thai Chicken Curry

Post by canuck » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Jimmy wrote:Anyone have a good recipe for Thai Chicken Curry? Ever since having it at Cha Baa Thai I've been addicted to it. I've picked up a few different Thai curries from the grocery store, but haven't been able to get the flavor that it had at the restaurant.

I really don't want to make the curry paste from scratch, so a local source for a good paste would be awesome...or maybe it's just that I'm doing it wrong :lol:
I've got a fantastic recipe for Massaman Chicken Curry if you want it.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm

I haven't tried Massaman curry yet..I'm very inexperienced when it comes to curry, though I love the green & red thai curries I've had.

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by canuck » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:28 pm

There are some decent recipes on this site.

http://www.templeofthai.com/cooking/abo ... _curry.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you like chicken curry dishes, you've gotta try Massaman sometime! :drool: :drool:

This is the recipe that I made for Massaman. Holy F it was good!

http://theveryhungrycook.com/?p=822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks, I'll try it out.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:06 am

Hey Jimmy, I make this stuff all the time. I'll usually make it with chicken or pork, but sometimes beef. The way I do it is really simple...

The main ingredients for me are:
1) Meat, duh.
2) Can or pouch of curry paste. I started with "A Taste of Thai" and "Asian Home Gourmet" pouches from the grocery store but rarely get those any more. They taste pretty good but lack in heat. I am now on to these little cans of paste from the Asian grocery. The one on Bedford Highway carries them as does the one on Main St. Dartmouth. I mostly use the standard red or green pastes. If you're only cooking 1-2 lbs of meat a whole can might be a bit much depending on how hot you like it.

3) Coconut milk. I used canned and my favourite had become this "Rooster" gold label coconut milk. It is nice and rich. The red label is ok as well. Available at the Superstore and maybe the Asian store. There are many other brands.

4) Fish sauce. It stinks but once cooked it does wonders. I do 10 - 20 shakes of it in Thai curries or Tom Yum soup. I use Squid Brand. You can find it in the regular grocery store or the Asian one.
5) Depending on the type of curry you may want some extras. For example in my green curry I add a bit of lime juice (not much) and / or some basil. In red I often add some sliced red pepper.

Process:

1) Cube your meat and get your pan ready with a bit of oil. If you're using non stick just chuck it in but if you're using stainless or cast iron let it heat properly first. I add my curry paste right when I start browning my meat. Stir it all up to get the paste over the meat. You might want a fan on, depending on the paste you can get a lot of fumes.
2) Once browned and the curry paste is in, add a can of coconut milk. If you're making a large amount then add more.
3) Shake in some fish sauce.
4) Add other ingredients.
5) Cook on medium heat for a few mins then simmer. I usually give it 30 mins or so. Stir every so often. This is when I cook the rice and get the table ready, etc.
6) Enjoy!

I find this goes great with some Indian pickled lime or mango in chilli.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Cooking some up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 pm

My wife's been trying to dial her recipe in too... she thinks it's the coconut milk that is lacking in hers. Not sure what type of curry she's using, but I'll bet it comes from the grocery store
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:29 pm

bluenose wrote:My wife's been trying to dial her recipe in too... she thinks it's the coconut milk that is lacking in hers. Not sure what type of curry she's using, but I'll bet it comes from the grocery store
I picked up a tub of green curry from the Asian store on the Bedford Highway and it made a huge difference in the flavor (the coconut milk might have helped too).

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:44 pm

The little bottles of yellow/green/red curry pastes are pretty good. Those are Thai Kitchen brand, although I don't see the yellow anymore(damn, not listed on their site anymore). I got actual Massaman curry paste and thai basil at that same shop on the Bedford highway. That place has a crazy inventory. Duck and quail eggs, etc.

Definitely need coconut milk for this curry though. Tamarind paste is hard to substitute too.

At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm

:-)

I used a mash up of the above recipe and this one:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2853 ... cken-curry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Looking good.

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by canuck » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Looks awesome.......would LOVE to have some of that right about now!

Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10

Post by Tony L » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm full of pizza ( among other things :lol: ) and I too would love to have feed of that.

Looking good. :drool:

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 pm

mr x wrote:Looking good.

Looking good!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Yummy!
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 pm

This was a winner. The curry paste tastes a bit hot out of the can, but is quite mellow in this dish. The massaman stuff from the little Asian store is not nearly as hot as the Thai Kitchen stuff. The only bad thing is that I was a bit disappointed in the color. The tamarind really messed with it, but a very minor complaint.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:40 am

canuck wrote:There are some decent recipes on this site.

http://www.templeofthai.com/cooking/abo ... _curry.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you like chicken curry dishes, you've gotta try Massaman sometime! :drool: :drool:

This is the recipe that I made for Massaman. Holy F it was good!

http://theveryhungrycook.com/?p=822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You didn't happen to save that recipe by any chance? Blog is long gone.... :x

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Thai Chicken Curry

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Worked fine for me. Here's the direct link to the recipe: http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/massaman_curry.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: never mind. I see it was the second one you were referring to.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:21 pm

I checked archive.org but it wasn't on there
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

nick34

Post by nick34 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm

:bbq: yummy ,,,,chicken is my favourte i love it......thankyou for the awesome post....
and next time try with indian spices i hope you will enjoy your food.....

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm

at the risk of being kinda sacrilegious and making this dish less healthy I found a tip online that helped immensely with these coconut milk based curries - and that is to get the restaurant style flavour (even with the cans of paste) you have to season your sauce not only with salt but also with sugar.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:24 pm

MitchK wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm
at the risk of being kinda sacrilegious and making this dish less healthy I found a tip online that helped immensely with these coconut milk based curries - and that is to get the restaurant style flavour (even with the cans of paste) you have to season your sauce not only with salt but also with sugar.
Agreed. I usually toss in a decent amount of palm sugar when I'm making my curry.

Another important piece is tossing in a huge amount of Thai Basil at the end of cooking. It gives it a huge amount of aroma and flavour...it was the missing piece that I couldn't figure out until I added it for the first time.

Return to “Food Discussion”