PID smoker controller

A spot to talk food
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

PID smoker controller

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Need to talk Garak into building a more compact version.

At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew Smith

Re: PID smoker controller

Post by andrewtrsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 pm

I'll get in on that if Garak want's to build two.

What are you running for a smoker? I've got a Weber Bullet.
Sign's your not quite awake yet ... "Where the heck is RIS?"

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a Primo XL and a Komodo Kamado. Off the top of my head, I think I can see 4-5 orders easy on this one if we can keep the price down...and make it work. Still haven't tested mine... :roll:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

I might be interested in a dual probe unit if Garak can do one for a reasonable beer trade :lol: One probe for pit temp and one for meat temp. Important thing to remember with these is they should be weatherproof so they can still be used in the rain/snow.

I use a Primo Oval XL and a Big Green Egg. :cheers2:

I bought a Pitmaster iQue 110 single probe unit that's pretty impressive for $120 that works fine but it's not waterproof or even resistant so I put it inside a box or something on rainy days.

http://www.pitmasteriq.com/iQue-110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IQue-500px.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Good call on the dual probe.

Garak i've got some Maverick thermistors that I already have the math worked out for. Same project that we were talking about on another thread.

For others, replacement Maverick thermistors can be ordered right from the factory in new jersey. They come in 3 foot and 6 foot models and the 6 foot are a lot heavier duty. Available in both meat and pit probe styles. The pit probes clip to your grate and hold the termistor about an inch above the grate so your measuring grate temperature instead of dome temp which can be 10 - 20 degrees cooler

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I have a bit of T/C wire, and you can get it fairly cheap on eBay too for that option. I am interested in the replacement probes for the Maverick regardless, just as spares for my 732.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 pm

andrewtrsmith wrote:
For others, replacement Maverick thermistors can be ordered right from the factory in new jersey. They come in 3 foot and 6 foot models and the 6 foot are a lot heavier duty. Available in both meat and pit probe styles. The pit probes clip to your grate and hold the termistor about an inch above the grate so your measuring grate temperature instead of dome temp which can be 10 - 20 degrees cooler
We just did a small group buy on the Maverick ET-732s, they rock but my one complaint is the thermocouple wires are too short so I might look into to those, thanks for the tip. How much are the longer ones any idea?

FYI, ceramic cookers like X and I use are hotter in the dome than at the grate.

Garak

Post by Garak » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm

How hot do these smokers get? The sensors I'm using now are limited to 110degrees Celsius. I should take a look a thermocouple circuits to see what it would take to make that an option on my temperature control PCB.

Edit: Its 150 degrees Celsius, but my circuit design is limited to 110 at the moment.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm

That won't cut it. Maverick probes are rated for over 700f...

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Looks like its only the meet probes that come in 6 foot (sorry about the confusion) but its the same diameter as the smoker probe just a heck of a lot longer. I only had to replace my meat probes when i did the order, 2 pk for $28 usd

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:29 pm

They should be interchangeable, aren't they....?

Did you order from the US? Might be worth checking with Johnstone's in BC too on pricing.

andrewtrsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by andrewtrsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I did order straight from the US using the form on the maverick website. They screwed up the first time and sent me one correct and one incorrect probe so i ended up keeping the original ones they sent me and they sent me the correct ones in a second shipment.

I also had no idea the ceramic smokers were warmer at the lid, I wish my bullet was like that but on really cold days i put a water heater blanket on top of it to stop the heat loss.

There is a good thread here on the virtual webber bullet forum that goes through a build of an arduino based smoker controller. I would imagine we could get the hardware cost down a bit by using the adafruit hardware that Garak pointed me to in another post. That and i'm not sure if others are interested, but i really don't care for the wifi add on that they use in the tvwbb edition, sure its cool, but its costly

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/927 ... /909108292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Any of you tech geeks want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... =59&t=4126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Food Discussion”