Smoked chili

A spot to talk food
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Smoked chili

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:47 am

I picked this post up on the Komodo Kamado forum. They are freaky clips, just a minute or two long:
We're having a Chili contest at work, and I used my secret weapon for my entry... the KK :) I smoked the meat prior to cutting it up and putting in the Chili - turned out spectacular. Here's a picture...

In addition, there's a "best ad campaign" award - so I made a stop-motion video of the recipe - featuring the KK (look carefully you can see me behind it opening the lid when it comes up :))

I also made a few "trailers" to wet their appetites... thought the KK community might like the vids:

Full Movie: http://bit.ly/hk5qU2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailer #1: http://bit.ly/hws2ZI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trailer #2: http://bit.ly/fX4lPB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Smoked chili

Post by akr71 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am

Damn, you're making me hungry! :drool:
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:58 am

I know!!

Here's my old chili thread, not near the production value, but a better chili I think:

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/sh ... 9e8f3ca643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Where'd you get the Ancho's?

I just bought a half ounce of jolokia 'ghost' peppers from http://www.thespicehouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's about 16 peppers to the half ounce, which will take me about a decade to use up (I'm the only one who likes hot food in my house. I'm certainly willing to share some, if anyone wants to try them.

From their website: "Their capsaicin content is so high that farmers in India have been known to smear fresh chilies on fences to keep wild elephants away. Use sparingly, and handle with care. Cut peppers in a well-ventilated area and wear gloves or wash hands thoroughly after handling."
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Planet Organic on Quinpool road. They have lots of jarred stuff down back. IIRC, Pete's has them too in plastic bags.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:49 am

mr x wrote:Planet Organic on Quinpool road. They have lots of jarred stuff down back. IIRC, Pete's has them too in plastic bags.
Yeah Pete's has a decent selection of peppers, dried and fresh.

I grow chiles, last year I had over 70 5 gallon pots in my yard. I just moved into a new house so I am behind a bit this year and only last night planted some seeds for this years crop (indoors of course). I have a raised bed garden now as well so we shall see how that works out.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am

70 five gallons pots. :wtf: :thumbup:

That's a lot of chilis - all the same? What are you doing with them - cooking, pickling, selling..?

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 am

It was a lot of work. My harvest wasn't the best but I leaned a lot. I still have a bunch in the freezer. I like to make hot sauce so they are mostly for "personal use" and had the crazy idea of going commercial if I nail a good recipe. :)

I have mostly rare varieties. Some peruvian types, a few super hots, habs, some cayenne. I try not to grow what I can find in the stores here. Here's a link to my flickr album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nspeppers/
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:16 am

wow, that is some neat stuff there. :mmm: :mmm: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Rasp wrote: I grow chiles, last year I had over 70 5 gallon pots in my yard.
Until I looked at the pictures, I thought you meant you'd collected 70x5gal of them, which astounded me. Still, 70x5gal growing pots is quite impressive! I have five for veggies, I may up that to 10 by late spring, but there's no way I'm storing 70 at my apartment.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 am

Nice work Rasp!

I have my seeds started as well. If you want, and have excess seedlings we could do some trading when things are hardened off.

I have a slew of peppers, I am sure you don't need any more! I also have like 4 flats of tomato plants started. I harvested local organic Roma seeds from a bushel I processed last season. They are growing like champs under the lights.
If you are interested, email me! nick.horne@gmail.com

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Sounds great! I sewed my seeds last Thursday night (really late this year) and I'm eagerly awaiting the sprouts.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Looking great! I'd love to start growing some, especially the real hot ones (Naga Jolokia). Anyone have any spare seeds to sell/trade?

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by akr71 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:51 pm

chalmers wrote:Looking great! I'd love to start growing some, especially the real hot ones (Naga Jolokia). Anyone have any spare seeds to sell/trade?
I bought a half ounce of Jolokia peppers. They're dried - I have no idea what sort of heat they use to dry them, but I'd guess that the seeds are ok. You're welcome to some. I also have cayanne and banana pepper seeds. Oddly enough, my cayannes and bananas did better than my bell peppers last year.
Andy

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm

chalmers wrote:Looking great! I'd love to start growing some, especially the real hot ones (Naga Jolokia). Anyone have any spare seeds to sell/trade?
I have some 2nd year seeds left (I will have to see what types). I'm trying to germinate some now but nothing has come up yet; it's only been 1 week though. I'll let you know how it goes. I could trade for homebrew. :)

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Tue May 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I grew some Cayenne and Jalapenos last year, (from Halifax Seed transplants) the Cayennes were solid and we are just using up the last of them. We also threw whole ones in with our dill pickles. It was the "winter of beans" in the moxie house, so there were all sorts of new baked bean and chili recipes to try. I also have one of those things for doing stuffed chilis that I threw on the Weber from time to time with different stuffings.

I don't really have any experience with the more "exotic" hot peppers, where should I begin?

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Tue May 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Check out the forums at http://www.thehotpepper.com/. That's where I started. There is an incredible amount of info there, much like HBT is to brewing.

Many peppers have a really long growing season and are tough to grow here without starting really early. Peppers of capsicum chinense are often 90+ days from flower set to give ripe peppers. Capsicum annuum, which jalapeno and cayanne are, take closer to 60 days and often are easier to grow in our climate. There are many, many (thousands) of varieties of chiles it will blow your mind.

I've had poor germination rates this year and I doubt I'll plant more. I think I'm up to about 50 seedlings now. Hopefully I can keep most of them alive! I am also going to pick up some more jalapeno, banana pepper, and cayenne seedlings. When's the next meeting? Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to go and bring my remaining seeds to share.

My bast plants last year were Aji Limon and Ring of Fire Cayanne.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Rasp wrote:Check out the forums at http://www.thehotpepper.com/. That's where I started. There is an incredible amount of info there, much like HBT is to brewing.

Many peppers have a really long growing season and are tough to grow here without starting really early. Peppers of capsicum chinense are often 90+ days from flower set to give ripe peppers. Capsicum annuum, which jalapeno and cayanne are, take closer to 60 days and often are easier to grow in our climate. There are many, many (thousands) of varieties of chiles it will blow your mind.

I've had poor germination rates this year and I doubt I'll plant more. I think I'm up to about 50 seedlings now. Hopefully I can keep most of them alive! I am also going to pick up some more jalapeno, banana pepper, and cayenne seedlings. When's the next meeting? Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to go and bring my remaining seeds to share.

My bast plants last year were Aji Limon and Ring of Fire Cayanne.

-Rob
Meeting is Tuesday night, and I'd love some extra seeds!

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Sun May 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Bhut Jolekia seeds are available at Halifax Seed. They're around $8 for a pack though and I couldn't get any to germinate last year. I suspect I had them in too cold a spot but had great results with habenaros. If anyone is looking for a local source for some crazy spices/hot sauces, check our http://www.frommildtowild.com. They are based out of the valley. I particularly enjoy being a member of the Hot Sauce of the Month Club!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks Jayme, the site and seed info is awesome! For the Hot Sauce of the Month, you can even select your level of heat. Very cool!

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon May 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes, that site is awesome. Thanks!

Return to “Food Discussion”