Tricks for grilling fish?

A spot to talk food
moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Tricks for grilling fish?

Post by moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Chez moxie is preparing for a seafood BBQ soon, and I was just wondering if there were any tricks to grilling flakier white fish. I have done salmon in the past, and I am worried that anything with less integrity is going to just fall to pieces on the grill. Is it worthwhile to cook fish on a wood plank over indirect heat?

Any awesome seafood BBQ recipes? I want to do some lobster skewers/etc. I don't have too much real estate on my Weber kettle grill.

Surf n' turf??? Maybe a big ol' stack of corn?? Chow'dah??

:cheers:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Re: Tricks for grilling fish?

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

For flaky white fish, you might be best off wrapping in foil with some good olive oil and herbs/spices and steaming on the grill. I think any other method will likely have it falling apart on you like it would in a frying pan.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I have found that you can grill halibut easily, but don't even think of doing haddock. Unless you do as JS says, or use some kind of cast iron plate. I really liked the flash frozen whole pacific salmon at the SS. They look awful in saran-wrap throw in the freezers, but are they ever good, and a good price. There's just enough room to stuff them with lemon/fennel/garlic/whatever.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:17 am

I've done different fish on my weber kettle. You can get away with doing haddock if you cook it on the edge of the coals, not directly over them. The key is make sure you oil the grill before you put the fish on and not to flip the fish. Allowing the fish to get a bit closer to room temp. also helps prevent sticking. Same thing for halibut and striper (seabass), although they tend to stay together a bit better. I have also fried fresh flounder in butter and herbs using a cast-iron frying pan directly over the coals. Whole lobster is good too, but there is a narrow window b/w done and dry - I prefer to boil them.

As far as marinades, etc. I find that thai green or red curry paste seems to turn out well with whitefish on the grill. Also, making up some fresh chermoula is also pretty tasty.

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am

generally, I just throw down a double-layer of foil, and place the fish on that.
Wood planks work well too... but you need the foresight to pre-soak them.

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:02 pm

I have a weber kettle and I do a lot of fish indirect , usually salmon or trout... I put a nice spice rub on them, I lean towards cajun... or a variation of the following...Chili pwdr, paprika, garlic pwdr, cumin, salt, fennel... I like it on fish... throw a piece of maple on the grill and you're in business. Cedar planks do wonders but I have a back yard full of maples so i get my maple off one of the trees.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 pm

http://www.fish4fun.com/grilling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I usually use a perforated rack or screen :cheers2:

Return to “Food Discussion”