Truckside Food Truck-Food Court

A spot to talk food
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Truckside Food Truck-Food Court

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:51 pm

http://www.truckside.biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone see anything about this? Same owner as Habaneros, Cheese Curds, etc. Opening a "food truck food court" next to Habaneros in Burnside.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Truckside Food Truck-Food Court

Post by mr x » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1 ... for-winter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

toddthebeerdude
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Todd

Post by toddthebeerdude » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:25 pm

cool idea, right by work so i will check it out

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Keep in mind that these aren't actual food trucks. Nor are they independent operations. Different chefs, but all owned by the Cheese Curds/Habaneros owner.

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/129235 ... open-soon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah originally I thought it was like a warehouse space with seating that people could park their trucks and sell food for the winter, but no just food court with facades that look like trucks
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

toddthebeerdude
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Todd

Post by toddthebeerdude » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Oh it isn't exactly what I thought, knew they weren't real trucks but thought it was more independent

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm

BobbyOK wrote:Keep in mind that these aren't actual food trucks. Nor are they independent operations. Different chefs, but all owned by the Cheese Curds/Habaneros owner.

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/129235 ... open-soon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfectly valid model, with precedent in the city no less: independent liquor stores!!

(Between this and the Bluenose comment elsewhere, maybe I can make BobbyOK's head explode :D )

1. Could be an excellent incubator for people with food ideas but not necessarily business acumen to give it a go before attempting to strike out on their own.

2. I liked the idea better when I thought it was what everyone else thought: a place where any of the food trucks in the city could have a place in the winter.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but I strongly suspect that even though #1 is a nice dream, modern business practices and lawyers will be involved to the point where someone ready to "graduate" out of this system will need to start over from scratch because all food ideas/menus/etc. will end up the property of the parent company unless the graduate can come up with a substantial cash payment.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Burnside does have a huge work day population so i hope it is successful and leads to variety etc. Will be better than the fast food places regardless
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:07 pm

I think it is a neat concept, and that it is certainly placed well. I think there is a lot of money invested though, and that it will take some time to break even. Especially if he plans to run it on weekends.
I am excited to try the noodles.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:
BobbyOK wrote:Keep in mind that these aren't actual food trucks. Nor are they independent operations. Different chefs, but all owned by the Cheese Curds/Habaneros owner.

Perfectly valid model, with precedent in the city no less: independent liquor stores!!

(Between this and the Bluenose comment elsewhere, maybe I can make BobbyOK's head explode :D )

1. Could be an excellent incubator for people with food ideas but not necessarily business acumen to give it a go before attempting to strike out on their own.

2. I liked the idea better when I thought it was what everyone else thought: a place where any of the food trucks in the city could have a place in the winter.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but I strongly suspect that even though #1 is a nice dream, modern business practices and lawyers will be involved to the point where someone ready to "graduate" out of this system will need to start over from scratch because all food ideas/menus/etc. will end up the property of the parent company unless the graduate can come up with a substantial cash payment.
How have we made it this far without a head exploding emoji!?!

I don't really have an issue with the model, at least as far as restaurants go. The media seems to be jumping all over this as though it's either 2 or all the operators are independent, which is why I pointed it out. I think this will do okay, but I overheard at least one proprietor suggest the Cheesecurds empire is expanding too quickly. If it doesn't go well it could bring the whole thing crashing down. But I guess that's the restaurant business.

mapleman
Name: Matt MacIsaac

Post by mapleman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 am

This is a food court.

None of the trucks operate, none can be taken out of there. It is a food court with a food truck feel to it. I think it is cool but it is not food trucks.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am

Yeah, that's pretty much what it looked like to me.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “Food Discussion”