Purchasing Whole Steer

A spot to talk food
chicanuck
Verified User
Verified User

Purchasing Whole Steer

Post by chicanuck » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:23 am

Does anyone have any experience purchasing an entire steer and having it butchered? Obviously I am looking to purchase locally here in NS, would prefer grass fed with some grain, probably request mainly steaks and the rest in hamburger, plus all the organs, leg bones and knuckles for the hound.

I have purchased whole pigs from Meadowbrook Farms in the past and had good experiences, so I will begin with them. So I guess the questions I have are:

1) Are there any other local farms that specialize in selling and butchering whole steers?

2) Is this a cost effective way to buy meat locally (assuming one has the freezer space) or should I stick with the box specials some places offer?

3) What kind of hang weight should I expect from a grass fed steer?

4) What $ per pound should I expect after the butchering fees, perhaps $5-6 per pound?

I am going to ask around at the farmers market tomorrow, but any insight would be helpful so I don't sound like a complete noob.

Cheers, Greg :bbq:

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Purchasing Whole Steer

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:35 am

I have never bought from these guys but I see their sign every time I drive out to Dave's
http://www.bluebarn.ca/farm/productspricelist.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:45 am

Moxsom Meats in Shubi.

Sandy

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:46 am

I buy a side every year. There's a group of us who get in on it and I think this year we ordered 4 head for the group.

We pay $4/lb dressed (butchered, wrapped and labeled) and this year my side was just under 300lbs but it varies from 200-300 lbs hang weight. This year it was 3 full laundry baskets of meat

I bought a freezer specifically for our meat, we get a side of beef and a half of a lamb every year, then half a pig every couple of years.

I just sent an email to my guy to see if there's space for this year, but if you want in for next just let me know. We order in April/May and receive in Oct/Nov. Min order is a 1/4.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:11 pm

3239157183_91c5fbc582.jpg
I heard this farm was good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

chicanuck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chicanuck » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:22 pm

EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:I buy a side every year. There's a group of us who get in on it and I think this year we ordered 4 head for the group.

We pay $4/lb dressed (butchered, wrapped and labeled) and this year my side was just under 300lbs but it varies from 200-300 lbs hang weight. This year it was 3 full laundry baskets of meat

I bought a freezer specifically for our meat, we get a side of beef and a half of a lamb every year, then half a pig every couple of years.

I just sent an email to my guy to see if there's space for this year, but if you want in for next just let me know. We order in April/May and receive in Oct/Nov. Min order is a 1/4.
Awesome information Dave, I had no idea that you bought meat in this bulk......I only ever ask you about beer and/or Ultimate, you truly are a man of mystery. I am looking for a half and so is a friend of mine, perhaps we could order a 5th head and an extra lamb for next year (if this year is too late). I will also put you on the annual pig roast invite list, a great time had by all and kids are definitely welcome :banana:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Dave can you give us some details on the farm. I have folks that will want to know.

S

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 pm

EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:I buy a side every year. There's a group of us who get in on it and I think this year we ordered 4 head for the group.

All of this and still no bbq invites...what a guy...u stocking up for the looming meat shortage?
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:06 pm

GAM wrote:Dave can you give us some details on the farm. I have folks that will want to know.

S
Unfortunately I can not. The guy who does it for us only does it for us as a favour, so if you called and asked he'd say that he's only a commercial farmer and you can't buy a cow from him. I don't organize the buy, I'm just a recipient, but I can see about how many more I can get in for next year.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm good with that.

S

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bruce Mailman

Post by the-mailman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Looks like another group buy, lol.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

Return to “Food Discussion”