12lb roast today

A spot to talk food
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

12lb roast today

Post by mr x » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am

Grabbed a 12 lb sirloin tip roast for a little project today. Need to do a trial run on the Auberins controller. Made an injection of schwarzbier, PC chipotle sauce, and cumin. Was in a bit of a rush, so I used montreal steak spice for the rub (ground into powder first). Started with a good blast of hickory, then switched to apple for smoke. Going to try and get pics up as the day goes on. Smoking at about 240f.
Last edited by mr x on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: 12lb roast today

Post by mr x » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:16 pm

6 hours, and I'm up to 142, not sure where to stop...should I foil and head for 190, or just do that without foiling......it's pretty steamy in there with no drip tray full of water.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 pm

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't know what to tell you buddy, but it's looking good :lol: Temp depends on how you want to use it, if you want more like fall-apart pulled beef you'll likely need to take it to at least 180F, maybe more... go until it's probe-tender. Mmmmm pulled beef :spilly:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, I'm going to let her go while I go to the Brewnosers tonight, around 12 hours on the grill at 10:30pm, so hopefully, it'll be around 180-190... :think:

At 154 now.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:10 am

Christ, damn thing wouldn't move off 162...??? Took it off at 1am wrapped in foil........bad feeling on this :cry:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 am

Let it rest overnight in the fridge. It is pretty dense feeling, like I could use my apple corer to make three finger holes and have a meat bowling ball. Cut into it, and it's surprisingly tender, even being as well done as it is. Slightly dry, but not too bad. I won't be eating all of it, but it will make good sandwiches for a few days.

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 am

Looks great :cheers2:

Sounds like it hit the plateau, usually happens around 165F on beef and 175F on pork, the temp will hang and sometimes even drop a few degrees while there's some magic science happening in there, it can last anywhere from an hr to several hrs before the temp will start rising again.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 am

Yeah, I was getting too nervous, and it was late, so I wrapped it up for the night. Next time I will try to bring it all the way up to 190, but I think it will have to be wrapped after 160 as Aaron mentions on his blog. This cut is so lean I think it would become too dry. But then again, brisket turns out ok on the long cooks...anyway, it was a learning experience, similar to the onion rings. Gave them a whirl the other day. Not awful, but needs some tweaking.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 pm

I put this thread on the KK forum, got one good response:
Chuck can be cooked low and slow to 190 and come out awesome! Search the chuck roll posts here and at the Weber smoky mountain forum in particular:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cook sirloin to 190 and you will regret it.
Brisket, pork shoulder and chuck are all tough cuts that benefit from a low and slow to break down the connective tissue. The more tender the cut, the less you want to use a low and slow. That's not to say you can't SMOKE a tender cut. They make an awesome smoked tenderloin at our local grocery store. My guess is they do this at something well under 200, but I am not an experienced smoker so I can't say with any authority.
http://www.cbef.com/chuck.htm

Return to “Food Discussion”