Keg / CO2 Question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Keg / CO2 Question

Post by berley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

I understand this is a question that is very difficult to answer; I'm not looking for anything definite, of course, just some opinions...

How long would you expect a 10-lb CO2 tank to last, when you're supplying a 4-tap keezer? I brew every 2-3 weeks, with the high majority of those beers going into kegs. I ask because I started kegging in January, and the tank went really quickly. Seemed to be due to a small leak in the manifold, so, with that problem solved, had a new tank filled. It lasted about 6 months, give or take. The guy at the CO2 filling place was still sure I had a leak. Maybe he underestimates how much beer my wife and I (and friends) drink?

Thoughts? Or, just too hard to tell?
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by GAM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 am

I get over a year with a 20#. I do not conserve CO2 and I use it to carbinate and move beer, cleaners etc.

Sandy

User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by berley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:03 pm

GAM wrote:I get over a year with a 20#. I do not conserve CO2 and I use it to carbinate and move beer, cleaners etc.

Sandy
How many beers on tap at a time? How often do you brew?

I'm getting technical, here!
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by GAM » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:35 pm

10gal in 2 weeks. 4 on tap 2-4 conditioning/waiting.

I like my beer lightly carbinated (<2x) and Milds and Browns very lightly carbed.

Sandy

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by gm- » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 pm

I've had my keezer for around a year and I am still on my first 5 lber. Only 2 keg set up though.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by RubberToe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:06 pm

I figure a 10# tank should last 16-20 or more kegs, flat to finished.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:08 pm

RubberToe wrote:I figure a 10# tank should last 16-20 or more kegs, flat to finished.
That's about what I get and I use has to move beer around and push cleaner/sanitizer as well.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm

I get 10-12 kegs through on a 5lb tank, two tap setup.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by berley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm

RubberToe wrote:I figure a 10# tank should last 16-20 or more kegs, flat to finished.
Looking back, I figure I only got about half that, although it's hard to tell for sure. Either way, definitely not 16-20 kegs, and I don't use the CO2 for anything OTHER than carbing/serving the beer.

So, great, it looks like I still have leak issues.

Remind me again why I finally got into kegging?
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm

berley wrote: Remind me again why I finally got into kegging?
Had some extra cash laying around? Enjoy the fine art of mechanical assembly and troubleshooting?
:lol:
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by RubberToe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 pm

Leaks aren't always easy to find. I've lost a lot of CO2 to leaks in the past but have been leak free for quite a while. It's also the reason I still use a 5# tank (6 taps btw).
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by berley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:39 pm

RubberToe wrote:Leaks aren't always easy to find. I've lost a lot of CO2 to leaks in the past but have been leak free for quite a while. It's also the reason I still use a 5# tank (6 taps btw).
Yeah, I know they're not easy to find. It's a real pain! Before hooking up to my existing keezer, I went through the whole thing where you turn on the CO2, crank it up to 20, turn the tank off, and see if the pressure drops. There's been so many opinions on if you leave the line open right to the QDs, should the pressure drop at all, or a bit, or...?
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by Jimmy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Check the pressure relief valves if you're using ball locks. That's the only place I've had leaks before.

User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by berley » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Jimmy wrote:Check the pressure relief valves if you're using ball locks. That's the only place I've had leaks before.
I'm actually using pinlocks. Aside from manifold issues before, I also seemed to have a leak at one of the gas QDs (it bubbled every 5 seconds or so when submerged in water).
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
Name: Geoff
Location: Clayton Park, NS

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by adams81 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Does anyone use dish soap in water for leak detection? That is what I do. If the mix is soapy enough it really exaggerates the bubbles.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:11 pm

adams81 wrote:Does anyone use dish soap in water for leak detection? That is what I do. If the mix is soapy enough it really exaggerates the bubbles.
Starsan works really well, that's what I use.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Keg / CO2 Question

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 pm

I get like 12 months/6kegs carbed and served. If I'm leaving for a while I turn the tank off.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests