Labels

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Mac
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm
Name: Chris

Labels

Post by Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Has anyone ever tried vinyl tape to make labels, like this:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Vinyl-Tape-2-x ... CA_1_20001

I can't find it in a store around here anywhere and staples has crazy shipping unless you order enough for free shipping.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Labels

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:33 pm

If you're going to go fancy, why not just use masking tape?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Mac
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm
Name: Chris

Re: Labels

Post by Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 pm

masking tape would turn to crap when it got wet, would it not?

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Labels

Post by RossBee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Have you tried commercial label makers, Access Labels in Amherst comes to mind, we get our labels from them for the winery. They may have roll run outs, end of rolls, odd sizes, etc..


Just a thought.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Labels

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Mac wrote:masking tape would turn to crap when it got wet, would it not?
I think you could keep it dry if you apply it after you're done bottling

I usually just label the whole box or use a sharpie on the cap. That way I don't have to clean off a label when I'm done... for the Decembeer exchange, I think I used some small labels I got from staples, like 50 per page or something like that
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Mac
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm
Name: Chris

Re: Labels

Post by Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:38 pm

bluenose wrote:
Mac wrote:masking tape would turn to crap when it got wet, would it not?
I think you could keep it dry if you apply it after you're done bottling

I usually just label the whole box or use a sharpie on the cap. That way I don't have to clean off a label when I'm done... for the Decembeer exchange, I think I used some small labels I got from staples, like 50 per page or something like that
the point of using the vinyl tape would be that i could write on it in sharpie then clean it off with rubbing alcohol after and reuse it for the next batch.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Labels

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 pm

Whatever twirls your beanie darling
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Labels

Post by evanisnor » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 pm

I've made labels using normal printing paper. Use a bbq brush to spread a (very) thin layer of milk on the back and stick it on. It won't stink and the label comes off easily with warm water. Cheap and easy.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Labels

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:02 pm

evanisnor wrote:I've made labels using normal printing paper. Use a bbq brush to spread a (very) thin layer of milk on the back and stick it on. It won't stink and the label comes off easily with warm water. Cheap and easy.
:stupid:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Labels

Post by amartin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:56 pm

I just label the caps, like bluenose. Or, number, rather, since there isn't enough room to write, and anyway, who wants to write a whole word that many times?

If I'm feeling ambitious I might try making paper labels for the next beer exchange, but as of yet I haven't even decided on a beer.

Mac
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:12 pm
Name: Chris

Re: Labels

Post by Mac » Tue May 12, 2015 1:07 pm

amartin wrote:I just label the caps, like bluenose. Or, number, rather, since there isn't enough room to write, and anyway, who wants to write a whole word that many times?

If I'm feeling ambitious I might try making paper labels for the next beer exchange, but as of yet I haven't even decided on a beer.
so far i have just been labeling the caps with a sharpie as well. it works fine, but you can't fit much info on it.

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: Labels

Post by mstead » Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Labeling the caps is all I've ever done.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests