Ozonated spring water.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
Name: Mike
Location: Dartmouth

Ozonated spring water.

Post by maglorski » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 am

Bought a new kit, following the directions I topped up the water in primary with cold water.

I added about 3 litres to primary from a bottle of 'spring water' I got from Sobeys. The bottle does say it has been ozonated and I was curious to see what that meant, when much to my horror it appears that it could be bad for this batch...

It's a 6 gallon batch, have I potentially ruined this batch of brew?

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Ozonated spring water.

Post by chalmers » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 am

maglorski wrote:Bought a new kit, following the directions I topped up the water in primary with cold water.

I added about 3 litres to primary from a bottle of 'spring water' I got from Sobeys. The bottle does say it has been ozonated and I was curious to see what that meant, when much to my horror it appears that it could be bad for this batch...

It's a 6 gallon batch, have I potentially ruined this batch of brew?
Can you expand on what Ozonated means to you?

From Health Canada:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/facts-faits/faqs_bottle_water-eau_embouteillee-eng.php#a9 wrote:Ozone may be added to spring or mineral water during the bottling process as a disinfectant to inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms. Ozone is also effective in removing objectionable odours and flavours because it breaks down into oxygen which improves taste and other qualities.
Just an FYI that the oxygen dissolution factor is not high, so it will have left the water a while ago. The act of pouring the water into the primary would have aerated it more.

Now, the spring water might have had some minerals in it that may affect flavour, but I don't imagine it will be significant.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Ozonated spring water.

Post by Jimmy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am

As chalmers said, I don't think you'll have an issue.

Being ozonated shouldn't affect the beer. The mineral composition would be the only concern (and that would likely be fine as well).

I've attached the water report that I requested from Big 8 a couple of years ago - not sure how similar it is now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Ozonated spring water.

Post by Buccaneer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 am

Here's the Big 8 analysis from last year.
Annual water test.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
Name: Mike
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Ozonated spring water.

Post by maglorski » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks to all! You've allayed my concerns.

I'm not quite at the point where I can interpret the figures from a water quality report.

Based on the most recent report - is there anything I need to be aware of?

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests