Blowoff Tube Diameter?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Name: Chris S
Location: Williamswood

Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:51 am

What diameter blow-off tube does everyone use? I had to use the 5/16" stuff I had lying around for my last batch, and let's just say I wouldn't have been surprised to come home and find brown ale all over the rec room due to the line getting clogged. Do you just get the biggest diameter you can jam into the carboy?
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by jeffsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 pm

I use ½" silicon tubing. Jam it on the tube on the inside of an airlock.
Last edited by jeffsmith on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by RossBee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:12 pm

jeffsmith wrote:I use ½" silicon tubing. Jam it on the tub on the inside of an airlock.

This.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by GAM » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 pm

3/8" on a orange cap works too.

S

User avatar
sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Name: Chris S
Location: Williamswood

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Great, thanks. I hadn't considered using the airlock as a 'connector'
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by jason.loxton » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 pm

I use 1/2" silicone too, but put it on a brass hose barb like the one below. The threaded end twists quite nicely into a stopper, and the barbs hold the tubing snug. The stopper/barb/tubing combo can also be boiled as as unit, if one wishes. You can grab one from Canadian Tire, etc.
125-10-6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by Jimmy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 pm

I used to use a piece of tubing (3/8" maybe) jammed into one of the caps from the 18.9L water bottles.

Image

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by spears104 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 am

I have used two methods, both use 0.5`inch tubing. I bored out a standard 6.5 bung with a 0.5 inch drill to insert a 0.5 inch into the bung. I have also just put a piece of 0.5 inch ID hose over the `base`of a 3 piece air lock. I prefer usuing 0.5 inch as it does not seem to result in any back pressure dring fermentation.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

User avatar
sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Name: Chris S
Location: Williamswood

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?

Post by sheppard107 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the replies. ~1/2" tubing magyvered on the carboy in some fashion seems to be the consensus.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests