Tall Ship Amber Clone

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
Name: Ruby
Location: Halifax

Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by Ruby » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Hey there lads and lassies,

Has anyone ever tried to clone Garrison's Tall Ship Amber, or have any idea on ingredients?

I fancy giving it a try.

Cheers!

Rubes
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by spears104 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 pm

I've never tried to clone that one, but they have spec sheets on their website that give you a few hints of where to start:

http://adminpanel.garrisonbrewing.com/a ... beer/3.pdf
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by jtmwhyte » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 pm

One of my buddies switched to this as his go to beer. I'd also love to be able to clone it.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
Name: Ruby
Location: Halifax

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by Ruby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 am

One of my buddies switched to this as his go to beer. I'd also love to be able to clone it.
I'll let you know how it goes!
I've never tried to clone that one, but they have spec sheets on their website that give you a few hints of where to start:

http://adminpanel.garrisonbrewing.com/a ... beer/3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! :rockin: Practically a recipe. I don't know why I didn't start at the source!
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by LiverDance » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 am

I would try wyeast 1338 as the yeast and mash low around 148F
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
Name: Ruby
Location: Halifax

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by Ruby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm

I would try wyeast 1338 as the yeast and mash low around 148F
Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't have gone down the European route for yeast. I was thinking an American Ale yeast, but I suppose Tall Ship does has a little sweetness there. I'll give it a go!

Cheers!
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:09 am

Ruby did you ever end up making this? How'd it turn out? I was thinking about making something like this for my dad for Christmas.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Related, but what's up with the new blue packaged 'Tall Ship Ale'. It has a different ABV. Is this a separate product or a revamping of their old amber? http://www.mynslc.com/Products/PID-1001550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by Jimmy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 pm

jason.loxton wrote:Related, but what's up with the new blue packaged 'Tall Ship Ale'. It has a different ABV. Is this a separate product or a revamping of their old amber? http://www.mynslc.com/Products/PID-1001550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who knows. They seem to be slapping whatever label they want on the bottles :lol: :

https://twitter.com/Bobby_OK/status/655788894579986433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by Keith » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Image
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Tall Ship Amber Clone

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Ha ha!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests