Drying Brewing Hoses
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Drying Brewing Hoses
What does everyone use to dry their long brewing hoses?
I bought a chugger pump (w00t!) with some probably unusually long hoses to get wort from my garage down to my basement - 35'.
Does any do anything other than hang them up to dry?
I bought a chugger pump (w00t!) with some probably unusually long hoses to get wort from my garage down to my basement - 35'.
Does any do anything other than hang them up to dry?
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
My hoses are considerably shorter, so they do just hang to dry.Comforteagle wrote:What does everyone use to dry their long brewing hoses?
I bought a chugger pump (w00t!) with some probably unusually long hoses to get wort from my garage down to my basement - 35'.
Does any do anything other than hang them up to dry?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I'd think hanging them to dry would be fine, provided there are no kinks that are trapping moisture inside.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
Hold at one end and whirl around above head outside (someone said on here "remember brewing is supposed to be fun" - so I try), then hang to dry.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
Could leave it full of Star San and cap it,
S
S
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I'm now thinking I'm going to have to at least split this in half so each can hang over something to drain.
I guess a valve in the middle isn't the worst idea. Shorter distance to run if something has gone wrong like leaving the fermenter valves open... nope never done that.
I guess a valve in the middle isn't the worst idea. Shorter distance to run if something has gone wrong like leaving the fermenter valves open... nope never done that.
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I'd coil it up and hang it to dry - not sure you need to cut it. You should be running boiling wort (or water) through it before transferring to your fermenter anyway.Comforteagle wrote:I'm now thinking I'm going to have to at least split this in half so each can hang over something to drain.
I guess a valve in the middle isn't the worst idea. Shorter distance to run if something has gone wrong like leaving the fermenter valves open... nope never done that.
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
Jimmy: Wouldn't mildew form?
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
WeeeeeeeeeeeGuingesRock wrote:Hold at one end and whirl around above head outside (someone said on here "remember brewing is supposed to be fun" - so I try), then hang to dry.
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I doubt it, unless your leaving the coils full of water before hanging it up. I'd try it first, to see how quick it dries.Comforteagle wrote:Jimmy: Wouldn't mildew form?
Adding a connection midway down the transfer line is the last thing I'd want to do. It would probably be your least sanitary part of the line.
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I had one of my pvc hoses build up some mold while hung without any kinks because condensation formed in a bend. The bend didn't turn back up and trap liquid water. It was just condensation that got trapped during the hanging up to dry. On the positive side it is is silicone and it gets moldy just toss it in your hot liquor tank or oven.
Ps never had an issue with my silicone ones. 6feet and 3 feet long respectively.
Ps never had an issue with my silicone ones. 6feet and 3 feet long respectively.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
I have a 120' braided hose for wine transfers. Prior to use it is sterilized, used, and post use sterilized again, hung up to drain. Have not seen any mildew or issues with it. Check the connection (fittings), that is where all the crap is going to gather, less fittings - better.
Why brew beer I can buy?
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
120 FEET? or is that supposed to be an inch amount?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
Feet. Steffen has a commercial distillery.MitchK wrote:120 FEET? or is that supposed to be an inch amount?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
This.RossBee wrote:Check the connection (fittings), that is where all the crap is going to gather, less fittings - better.
That's why I'd be hesitant to cut it and add a valve and/or fittings.
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
GuingesRock wrote:Feet. Steffen has a commercial distillery.MitchK wrote:120 FEET? or is that supposed to be an inch amount?
Hey Mark, gonna be distilling in December, interested? Lots of Grappa, Blueberry, some wine, plumbs, caraway, Raspberry, bit of Juniper and some other stuff.
Why brew beer I can buy?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
Yes! I wonder if I can plan a trip up there. Thanks!RossBee wrote:GuingesRock wrote:Feet. Steffen has a commercial distillery.MitchK wrote:120 FEET? or is that supposed to be an inch amount?
Hey Mark, gonna be distilling in December, interested? Lots of Grappa, Blueberry, some wine, plumbs, caraway, Raspberry, bit of Juniper and some other stuff.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
That settles it for me.RossBee wrote:I have a 120' braided hose for wine transfers. Prior to use it is sterilized, used, and post use sterilized again, hung up to drain. Have not seen any mildew or issues with it. Check the connection (fittings), that is where all the crap is going to gather, less fittings - better.
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Drying Brewing Hoses
:slowclap:Comforteagle wrote:That settles it for me.RossBee wrote:I have a 120' braided hose for wine transfers. Prior to use it is sterilized, used, and post use sterilized again, hung up to drain. Have not seen any mildew or issues with it. Check the connection (fittings), that is where all the crap is going to gather, less fittings - better.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests