Stuck Fermentation

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm

I brewed a Spruce Tip Ale last month and hit 1.066 OG. 25L batch size. I pitched 1.5 packages or US05 and the half pack was left over from a previous brew and I folded up the package and added a clothes pin and stored it in the fridge for two weeks. I figure that was my problem as the gravity is stuck at 1.032.

2 weeks ago I tried rousing the yeast with no change so I sprinkled a package of US05 in. With the alcohol in the brew the yeast did nothing and the gravity did not change. I've tried rousing again with no change and it was fermented at 18-19C.

A few days ago in a last ditch effort I made a 1 liter starter with 100 g DME. I added 1 package again of dry yeast and pithed at high krausen hoping this would make a difference. No krausen formed and no change in gravity. It looks like the yeast just dropped to the bottom of the carboy.

I'm out of options. I've read questionable results about hitting it with Champagne yeast. It tastes sweet obviously but the Spruce Tip flavour is amazing.

Any one have any other ideas? Lesson learned and I'm not going to use half packages anymore. I've got away with it a few times but no more.

Thanks in advance! :cheers2:

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by RossBee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Raise temp and re-pitch.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Failed to mention I did that both times I repitched. Thanks!

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Alpha amalayse?

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 pm

You thinking I should take a Hail Mary and add some Beano Jeff? It might get it going but I'm worried it might taste like tractor gas. lol I could also mash a lbs of grain at 140f for 20 mins and add it but I'm worried about contamination. I've got some thinking to do thanks.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:02 am

honestly the half pack of yeast was probably fine. what temp did you mash at? what fermentables were in there, i.e. was it all grain or did you use molasses or something that wouldn't ferment as well?

i'd say the two options are adding alpha amylase, or using a fifferent yeast (champagne, or maybe something funky)
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:28 am

Liam I added 3 oz molasses, 1 tbsp of black strap molasses late in the boil and 1 litre of spruce tips at 60 minutes. The rest was grain. Funny you should mention mash temp. It was at 154f but a few brews back McKay75 was over with his thermopen and discovered my thermometer was 4f too hot. I still think it should have fermented out more. I see OBK carries alpha amylase so I'm thinking Ill go that route. Appreciate the help gents.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 am

Yeah that's not enough to throw it off - I was mostly wondering if you did the "old spruce beer recipe" that you can find online- where molasses is only fermentable

Alpha amylase is definitely the best option here I think
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Bowserm » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:05 am

You could always brew a lighter batch Derek and merge the two beers into one

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:30 pm

I say pitch some brett in it a give it a few months.

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Some great options gents and thanks very much for the help. I'm leaning towards the alpha amylase as my upcoming brew days are going to be used towards the Dec beer exchange and Big Spruce Comp. :cheers2:

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Stuck Fermentation

Post by Woody » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:12 am

Weird thing happened a few weeks ago to my spruce tip ale. A small white film formed on top of my beer then bubbles and the airlock picked up again. I thought after 3 months the only way this happens is contamination. I decided to try it tonight and the gravity finished at 1.016 and tastes good. I got busy and made no changes or additions since my last post. With all the yeast I had added it has a small boozy flavour for a 1.066 beer but the spruce tips holds up well and it's drinkable. Anyone ever heard of this happening?

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests