White Labs yeast vault

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

White Labs yeast vault

Post by mikeorr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:49 pm

White Labs is releasing some of their banked strains on an on-demand basis:

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some interesting sounding stuff in there...

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by Lucas » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 pm

The New Nordic Blend sounds pretty neat. The FAQ says they don't ship internationally, but it does say to send them an email if you are interested, so maybe it could be done.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by mikeorr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeah, I saw that too. Perhaps if there's interest Everwood could bring some in.

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by KMcK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Perhaps a group buy approach would ease their shipping concerns. I can inquire and organize it if there's local interest.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

User avatar
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
Name: Mitchell Kehoe
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by MitchK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:15 pm

I'd try out that high pressure lager yeast... Being able to go grain to glass on 4 gallons in a keg in under two weeks for a lager is insane.

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by KMcK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:29 pm

MitchK wrote:I'd try out that high pressure lager yeast...
Yeah, I definitely want to try that one.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by jtmwhyte » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:55 pm

I'd take a few of assorted strains
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by Lucas » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm probably in for a couple of vials too.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by Jayme » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 pm

I'd be in for some vials.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by KMcK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Upon taking a second look I saw that each strain will be reproduced once its order hits 250 and shipped separately. Therefore the group buy idea doesn't work unless a lot of us want the same strain. Asking Dave to see if he can get them with his regular shipments from White Labs is a better idea.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

User avatar
BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am

Definitely in for some.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 am

I can definitely look into bring this in for you guys. I just brought in a WL order but if we get enough interest I can bring in another one. Shipping just becomes more bearable as the order quantity increases.

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by Jayme » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:09 am

How often do you place yeast orders? Personally, I'm in no rush at all. Can't speak for everyone else though of course!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: White Labs yeast vault

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 am

Usually every 2-3 months. Depends on how quickly they sell. Next one will probably be in Feb if it runs its natural course.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests