Fermentation Temp Control

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Fermentation Temp Control

Post by mcgster » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

There are lots of options out there for fermentation temperature control, i have had a few questions about mine so i thought i would post and i look forward to seeing what other people do.

I have basically been doing my temp control the same way for the past 3 years of brewing, i used a tupperware container with an inexpensive aquarium heater plugged into the heat outlet on a STC-1000 that i assembled. This allows redundancy of temp control since the heater has a built in thermostat and so does the STC.

I have experimented with a few ways of doing temp control and this is by far the best for me. I had many heaters from my saltwater fish tanks so it made perfect sense. I also point a desk fan at it and am consistently able to get the water temp down to 64F if i want to ferment a bit cooler. At home in Saint John, i put a tupperware container in an unheated portion of the basement and i am able to lager at 50.

I have tried using thermowells, and taping the STC probe to the side of the carboy but i have found it makes no difference, the large mass of water effectively regulates the temperature in the carboy very well.

Newfoundland Setup:
IMG_4985.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3748.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by mcgster » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Saint John Setup:
IMG_7228.jpg
IMG_8043.jpg
IMG_8045.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Bluefin 774
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm
Name: Mike
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by Bluefin 774 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this with the photos, that helps quite a bit. I like the plastic tub idea. My last brew could have made a big mess when it overflowed through the air lock but it was averted by placing my fermenting bucket in a garbage bag before fermentation started. I think I will copy your setup. :cheers:
Take care, Bluefin.

Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch

Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:

Up Next: ?

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:29 pm

mcgster wrote: I have tried using thermowells, and taping the STC probe to the side of the carboy but i have found it makes no difference, the large mass of water effectively regulates the temperature in the carboy very well.
I've had the same experience with thermowell vs probe taped and insulated against the side of the carboy - negligible difference in readings.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:32 pm

mcgster wrote:Saint John Setup:
Mark, where did you get the project box you built that into? I haven't been able to find one easily that will fit an STC and outlets like that.

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by mcgster » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 pm

The smaller project box is a Hammond 7.5"x4.3"x2.2" and the fit was tight but i definitely wanted to go smaller than the previous ones. The larger project box is a radio shack box that is 8"x6"x3".

I ordered a bunch of the smaller ones one day when the price dropped to 7.50 each, the larger one was 15 or so i think

User avatar
ErictheGreat
Award Winner 12
Award Winner 12
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Hubley, NS

Re: Fermentation Temp Control

Post by ErictheGreat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:04 pm

mcgster wrote:The smaller project box is a Hammond 7.5"x4.3"x2.2" and the fit was tight but i definitely wanted to go smaller than the previous ones. The larger project box is a radio shack box that is 8"x6"x3".

I ordered a bunch of the smaller ones one day when the price dropped to 7.50 each, the larger one was 15 or so i think

In Halifax, you can get project boxes at Jentronics Limited 15 Weston Ct. Dartmouth, NS B3B 2C8 Canada. I'm not sure on the prices.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests