Dry Hop in Keg
-
Timelord_
- Verified User

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
- Name: Tom
Dry Hop in Keg
So I brewed up 5gallons of a generic cream ale, and it turned out fairly bland. Drinkable but bland. Beer is cooled, and in a keg (carbonated). I am thinking I would like to try dry hopping while it is in this state to give it a bit of aroma/flavour.
Any one tried this before? Hopping a "ready" beer in a keg? Anything I should be aware of?
Cheers.
Any one tried this before? Hopping a "ready" beer in a keg? Anything I should be aware of?
Cheers.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
I do it all the time. I put my hops in a sanitized paint strainer bag and leave them in until the beer is gone 
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
I always dry hop in the keg. I put my hops in an 8x8 nylon mesh bag and drop it in the keg. I've kept them in the keg for 4 months without any flavour issues.
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
I do the same. Except I attach flavourless wax-free dental floss to the bag and put a glass shot glass in with my hops. The string is to pull it once I like the flavour since the keg will seal with the dental floss sticking out. the shot glass is so that bag will sink when I first put it in. Don't know if that actually matters but I keep doin it out of habit.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
I found if you keep the beer a long time with dry hops in the keg you can get grassy flavour. This is not usually an issue though!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
Be prepared for a bit of foaming if you decide to bareback it and throw them right in. Lots of nucleation sites!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
I like Mike's idea. Give 'er and pull the hops out after 3-4 days. Pressurize again quickly so you don't loose the volatiles ...but then, the dry hops do better if they are free. Scratch that. Throw in a whole lot of leaf hops and drink the keg as quickly as you can. 
if the out tube blocks, blast CO2 down it. I have shortened dip tubes (1 1/2") and got away with using pellet hops free before, after letting them settle. I think leaf hops would do better free but I haven't tried it.
if the out tube blocks, blast CO2 down it. I have shortened dip tubes (1 1/2") and got away with using pellet hops free before, after letting them settle. I think leaf hops would do better free but I haven't tried it.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
IanWatson
- Verified User

- Posts: 53
- Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm
- Name: Ian Watson
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
Sounds to me like Mike isn't actually opening the keg to remove the hops. Rather, he's yanking on the dental floss to pull the bag up above the beer line inside of the pressurized keg. Pretty clever approach!GuingesRock wrote:I like Mike's idea. Give 'er and pull the hops out after 3-4 days. Pressurize again quickly so you don't loose the volatiles ...but then, the dry hops do better if they are free. Scratch that. Throw in a whole lot of leaf hops and drink the keg as quickly as you can.
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Dry Hop in Keg
what's the risk of that floss trick leading to wasted co2? It sounds like it would create a small gap in your gasket (especially over time if you're wearing it down by pulling on it).
I think I'll probably start doing this with the mesh bag and floss, but I think I'll tie it to the underside of the lid in a way that will lead to the hops being no longer in the beer after the keg is half gone anyway. Starting in January I'll be brewing double ipa after double ipa until I get one I like enough to put in an exchange.
I think I'll probably start doing this with the mesh bag and floss, but I think I'll tie it to the underside of the lid in a way that will lead to the hops being no longer in the beer after the keg is half gone anyway. Starting in January I'll be brewing double ipa after double ipa until I get one I like enough to put in an exchange.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests